|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
"I know you hear this from, like everyone, but I'm your number one fan!"—Rose, Alan Wake
"By Azura, by Azura, by Azura! It's the Grand Champion!"—Universally-hated words uttered by the Adoring Fan, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
"I'm your biggest fan, I'll follow you until you love me/Papa-paparazzi"—Papparazzi, Lady Gaga
Stock gush over a major celebrity. If this is said by a minor character, expect them to become a Loony Fan (or Ascended Fanboy), though often it's a main character squeeing over someone else. "Number One Fan" is another common term.
Sometimes linked to a visual gag where the person saying it is unusually tall or tiny.
See also Ascended Fanboy and Straw Fan. If taken too far, it turns into an Abhorrent Admirer, or even worse, a Stalker with a Crush. When it's the hero, it is often said to an old, retired character -- which can be a great shock to his own fans, who assumed that old man had to be insignificant.
- Light's sister says this to Misa (a semi-famous model) in Death Note.
- Sailor Moon: the moment the Sailor Starlights show up and the girls get out their fan club membership cards.
- Jerry, the policeman from Kaleido Star. He says it before the main character had even been to her audition.
- Torakichi feels this way to Sakuraba in Eyeshield 21. Sakuraba really doesn't mind.
- Kurita to Onihei.
- And Monta to baseball outfielder Masaru Honjo, until he had to compete against his son in the Christmas Bowl.
- Skip Beat starts out about a girl who has a major crush on her childhood-friend-turned-celebrity. That doesn't last long.
- In Avengers: The Initiative, Reptil freaks out and says this when he meets Cloud 9, saying he's got all her merchandise, from the action figures to the commemorative plates. Then he asks her to go to Homecoming with him. Yeah...
- Booster Gold, needing Sinestro to not do something to protect the space-time continuum, resorts to this. This stops Sinestro long enough for Booster to go squee over him, and persuade him that the time travelers who'd pointed him in this direction had actually been liars who were trying to get him to reveal his fears.
- Knives Chau is noted as this for Sex Bob-om in Scott Pilgrim, although it gets worse
- Juggernaut to Dazzler in an issue of The Uncanny X-Men.
- The Incredibles: Early on Mr. Incredible's Loony Fan Buddy says "I'm your number one fan!" Mr. Incredible tells him he works alone. It doesn't end well because later on when Mr. Incredible meets up with an older Buddy who's now a dangerous villain named Syndrome, now vengeful and obsessed with getting revenge on Mr. Incredible, he tells him this Nightmare Fuel filled line:
Syndrome: Sure it was difficult, but you are worth it! I mean after all... I am your biggest fan.
- Run Ronnie Run
- Fans Anonymous. Alice Dobbs to Newton Coleman.
- The Nines.
- In Mulan 2 Li returns the lost paper fan of one of the princesses and makes a joke based around the rather lame obvious pun.
- In That Thing You Do, the drummer from the Wonders meets his favorite jazz musician, and he's so awestruck that he blurts out, "You're my biggest fan!"
- Misery is built on this, a writer is nursed by an obsesive fan, and the fan turns out to be The Sociopath.
- Annie Wilkes says this repeatedly in Misery. It gets a Call Back in the end of the film version when someone else uses the line, and Paul briefly hallucinates that she's Annie.
- Doctor Who episode "The Unquiet Dead". The Doctor to Charles Dickens.
- Also in the Doctor Who mini-episode "Time Crash":
Fifth Doctor: Who are you?
Tenth Doctor: Take a look.
Fifth Doctor: Oh. Oh, no.
Tenth Doctor: Oh, yes.
Fifth Doctor: You're... Oh, no.
Tenth Doctor: [smugly, nodding] Here it comes, yeah, yeah I am..
Fifth Doctor: [sighs] A fan!
Tenth Doctor: Yeah... [beat] What?
Tenth Doctor: What do you mean a fan? I'm not just a fan, I'm you-
Fifth Doctor: OK, you're my biggest fan.
- Happens in Drake and Josh, apparently.
- Penelope, from The Amanda Show. She loves Amanda...
- The titular character of Frasier gets the "Number One Fan" line in one episode.
- On Night Court, Judge Harry is a huge fan of Real Life singer Mel Torme, but makes an utter fool of himself every time they bump into each other.
- And a young fan gushes this repeatedly over a pop star in Dollhouse after winning an internet contest to spend the evening with her. She's actually Sierra, who's been programmed with the personality of an adoring fangirl to serve as Echo's backup on a mission to secretly protect said pop star.
- An episode of CSI featuring Rascal Flatts as guest stars had a girl hold a piece of evidence they needed (a guitar one of the band was using at the time of the crime). Her room is plastered from wall to wall with Rascal Flatts memorabilia, and she isn't happy when they have to take the guitar.
- In A Muppet Family Christmas, Kermit's present to Piggy is a mink. To her surprise, it's a live mink from Joisey named Maureen. Piggy starts to get angry, but then Maureen declares herself Piggy's biggest fan, leading her to decide it's a wonderful present.
Mmm, I am waiting,
Yes, I'm a captive fan,
I'm dying to be shown
That you are not just any man...
- Used in the song My Name is Trouble, by Nightmare of You:
So this is the last time that I'll hold your hand
I want to kiss you on the mouth and tell you
I'm your biggest fan
I'm your biggest fan
- Lady Gaga's "Paparazzi": 'I'm your biggest fan, I'll follow you until you love me, Pa-pa paparazzi'
- Stan by Eminem: Definitely an example of a Loony Fan.
I know you probably hear this everyday
But I'm your biggest fan
I even got the underground shit that you did with Scam
I got a room full of your posters
And your pictures man
I like the shit you did with Ruckus too
That shit was rad
Anyways, I hope you get this man,
Hit me back just to chat
Truly yours, your biggest fan
This is Stan
- "Wear My Hat" by Phil Collins:
Well later on that day this guy came to me
With a scrap of paper in his hand
He said, "Hey buddy, can you sign your name for me?"
I said, "Why, do I owe you money?" He said, "No"
I said, "Listen pal, do I know you? Have we ever met?
Why do you want my name on this little piece of paper?"
He said, "I love you,
I don't know you but I love you,
Like my brother I love you,
Put your arms around me 'cos I love you"
I said, "Hey let's not rush things."
- In Oblivion, if you complete the Arena sidequests you get your own Adoring Fan. Who indulges in this at every oppotunity. You can even have him follow you around and turn him into an Ascended Fanboy (well if being a handy-yet-annoying, portable, immortal torchbearer counts as ascension).
- In The Sims (first game) once you had Studio Town, your Sims could both tell Studio Town characters "I'm your biggest fan!" and, if they had accumulated some fame of their own, be told so. They would also get a Loony Fan.
- In The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, Ferrus, a massive train fanboy, says this to Alfonzo, your engineering instructor at the beginning of the game. Then he realizes Alfonzo isn't all that he's cracked up to be.. Aww, shucks.
- Kimmy Howell in the sequel to No More Heroes says this to Travis. In fact, she trains herself to be strong enough to take Travis out just to prove it.
- Rose to the main character in Alan Wake. She even has a life-size cardboard cutout of him from the promotion of his last book.
- Mario says this word for word in Hotel Mario when he discovers a giant fan in one of the hotels. *Groan*
- Used in Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated, with Velma's to the Hex Girls. At one creepy instance even claiming she would die for them.
- Danger Mouse episode "The Dream Machine"
- SpongeBob SquarePants. The title character to Kevin.
- Said by Sonic in Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog when he meets Sketch Lampoon.
- Kim Possible: Kim's cousin to Kim in the episode she first appears in.
- At first, Kim likes it, until she started to know too much about her life. It turns out to be a sort of defense mechanism because she's not happy with her so-called "boring" life.
- Irving in Phineas and Ferb, to (who else?) Phineas and Ferb.
- When Captain Marvel first meets Superman on Justice League Unlimited, he wants to tell him this. They don't get on well.
Captain Marvel: I'm Captain Marvel, sir, and it is an honor. You're my biggest fan...
Superman: Excuse me?!
Captain Marvel: I--I mean I'm your biggest fan! Sorry sir, it's a little overwhelming, meeting you.
- Pepper Mills of Histeria! often said this to the historical figures she met (whom she was always mistaking for pop cultural celebrities).
- Harmony in Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi ("I'm your number one fan").
- In Animaniacs, Dolly Parton said this to Brain from Pinky and The Brain, and added "what do you say to that?" Brain responded by saying "I'd say puberty was inordinately kind to you."
- Zack the "Fifth Turtle" from the 80s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
- Katrina Rad is a Loony Fan of The Problem Solverz, especially Roba.
- Scootaloo from My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic idolizes Rainbow Dash. In "The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well", we even see she's the head of a Rainbow Dash fan club.
- On Tiny Toon Adventures, Babs told (Bosko's) Honey, "I'm your biggest fan." Honey denied it and presented a large hand fan.
- For a healthy dose of Harsher in Hindsight, remember that Mark Chapman greeted John Lennon this way.