|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Faye: (Hugging Marten) Your armpits smell like daffodils.
Two people hug, then one of the two makes a comment, almost always about the other person, who will probably answer in an embarrassed way. The comment generally revolves around the hugged person's smell or some other awkward body feature.
A possible ending joke to a Golden Moment. Expect it from Platonic Life Partners or, in a more caustic tone, from Vitriolic Best Buds. If the comment is about the awkwardness of the hug itself, then it could involve Heterosexual Life Partners who have been expressing more than their usual mutual affection... especially if someone invokes Or Are You Just Happy to See Me?
- An interesting one from Pokémon 3, a little girl's dreams/wishes are coming true because of a Pokemon (including bad stuff), and when the heroes finally reach her at the top of her tower she hugs one of them (my memory gets hazy here) and says "I wanna wake up". That's in the English dub, anyway. In the original Japanese, she hugs and says "you smell of flowers" or something, so plot stuff happens due to the smell of flowers OBVIOUSLY.
- In the Graphic Novel Persepolis, Marjane hugs her grandmother before falling asleep next to her, then asks the older woman how she kept her breasts so firm over the years.
- From Paul: "Clive, I can feel your boner."
- Phil to Ned from Groundhog Day: "I don't know where you're headed, but can you call in sick?" Note that this trope was purposely invoked by Phil to freak Ned out.
- In the final episode of Friends, Ross and Rachel finally decide to get together permanently, and they hug. Then, she says that they wouldn't be messing around any more, that this was it, and he decides to say "Unless we're on a break"... realising what a stupid comment that is, he stops and says to himself "Don't make jokes".
- Murdock does this in an episode of The A-Team when he hugs Face, who is about to leave the team because he got a pardon. It turns out be a setup.
"Nice, but I'd still prefer a tall blonde."
- In a rare non-humorous example from the Doctor Who episode "The Almost People", the ganger clone Doctor hugs Amy before saying cryptically: "Push, Amy."
- Firefly, as Simon hugs River:
Simon: You are my beautiful sister.
River: I threw up on your bed.
Simon: (Beat) Yep. Definitely my sister.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer. In "Becoming, Part 2" while in the hospital Xander pulls Buffy into a hug to hide her from two policemen walking by. Buffy jokes that it was partially so he can grab a feel, but Xander's lack of response to the jibe tells her that Willow has been injured. In "I Was Made To Love You" Xander gives a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming to Buffy which earns him a hug -- unfortunately Xander is strapped into a huge sumo suit which makes him totally immobile, causing him to moan, "Great, today's the day you chose to hug me."
- In one episode of How I Met Your Mother, Ted hugs Marshall after finding out that Marshall got a job offer, but Barney turns on a porno in the middle of their hug, causing Marshall to comment "It feels weird to be hugging when there's porn on" and the two of them jerk away from each other.
- Subverted in another episode, where Ted and Marshall are entwined together for warmth in a blizzard, and Marshall, sure he's going to die, is rambling about Lily:
Ted: Are you still thinking about Lily?
Ted: Please stop.
- Questionable Content: This strip provides the page quote.
- Friendly Hostility: When Fox manages to get back from Las Vegas, Collin runs to hug him... and states that he reeks like a decomposing buffalo.
- "Chapter 32: From The Forest She Came" of Gunnerkrigg Court ends with Annie and Kat hugging, and then Kat saying "Annie ... I love you and everything, so ... it is with love that I must inform you that you really gotta take a shower."
- El Goonish Shive has "You're better than a Neanderthal."
- American Dad has Roger doing this to Francine.
Francine: (Hugging Roger) Oh, Roger! You're back.
Roger: And you're starting to get lunch lady arms.
- Family Guy: Near the end of Season 8 episode Quagmire's Dad, Glenn hugs his father who has undergone sex reassignment surgery, then an embarrassed exchange implies that Glenn has got aroused.
- Futurama: Leela hugs Fry and mentions that "you smell like you've been rolling in New Jersey."
- Another episode of Futurama ends with the revelation that Leela has been comatose for weeks, and Fry has been at her side the whole time. They hug, and:
Leela: You could really use a shower.
Fry: You, too.
- Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, "Mac Daddy":
Bloo: I love you, brother! (hugs Cheese)
Cheese: I pooted.
- One episode of The Simpsons has Krusty and Sideshow Mel embrace after their Show Within a Show is back on the air. Then Mel murmurers "I love you Krusty", prompting him to recoil.