|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth flying for here:
These are recommendations made by Tropers for How to Train Your Dragon Fan Fics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here.
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.
Authors and Websites
How to Train Your Dragon Live Journal Community by Various Contributors
- Recommended by User:J Blaze
- Comments: A fairly active, as of this writing, community devoted to the How to Train Your Dragon fandom. Helpfully sorted by character and type of fanwork via the nifty links in the sidebar. Features lots of projects, both oneshots and chapters fics, from a variety of authors, including some gifted artists as well. Beware the tagging, for some fic falls decidedly into the Not Safe for Work category.
- Recommended by Saphruikan, User:Symphonic Gryphon, Fiwen 9430
- Comments: An exceptional writer of various one-shots and two multichapter stories. Rift-Raft's one-shots are usually horror and very, very chilling, but there are happy ones too. Seriously worth every second of your time.
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
A Downed Dragon is a Dead Dragon by almne
- Recommended by User:J Blaze
- Synopsis: Post movie, NOT A DEATHFIC. Hiccup and Toothless are invincible in the air. But if they lost their prosthetics, how strong would they be?
- Comments: This is the first ever fic of this movie I read, and it got me convinced that there's some talent in this fandom, just from it alone. Grittier and more political than the movie, almne delves into what the question of what a war-like people like the Vikings would do with access to fire-breathing and flying weaponry. She also pays close attention to Hiccup's handicap, yet still manages to have him be an active protagonist when he's completely disabled. Very in-character, and reads just like a sequel to the movie.
The Dragon Journals by Contralissimo (currently WIP)
- Recommended by User:Jesajew, Fiwen 9430, User:Piearty
- Synopsis: Penny for a dragon's thoughts? The movie as chronicled by the beasties themselves.
- Comments: There are quite a few "the movie through Toothless's POV" fics in this fandom, and tons of general dragon POV fics, but this fic sets itself apart by really playing up the Humans Through Alien Eyes potential in that premise, with great results. The dragons' simple, inhuman(but still highly intelligent) thought processes are very interesting to read.
- 'Nother note-There are various scenes that are expanded on or have different focuses due to being seen through the eyes of a dragon, but they so fit the characters and the continuity that you'll barely even notice. You really can imagine every single one of them happening. Tis great.
- Recommended by Pointblank90, MC Ham Sandwich
- Synopsis: The earth has been reduced to a post-apocalyptic wasteland. How will 6 young people survive in this harsh environment, and what adventures await?
- Comments: A rare and fine example of a well played Setting Update and Recycled in Space fic. Captain Harrison "Hiccup" Horrendous Haddock the III is the son of General Stoick Haddock in this Gundam-esque story wherein Hiccup and the gang learn to commandeer Dynamic Ranged Assault Grade Ordinance Neutralizing Systems (Powered Armor type suits.) Well, It Makes Sense in Context.
- The story itself is cleverly written out. The narrative is smooth and is easy to follow, the characters are very believable in their own sense. This Troper finds it really clever how the author Hicc managed to fit all of the right elements into this very well written fan fic. Definitely worth your time.
To Soar into the Sunset: A Night Fury's Odd Memoir by Fjord Mustang
- Recommended by User:Jesajew, User:Zelenal
- Synopsis: HTTYD with a Robert Heinlein twist. Not AU. A skilled flying warrior is shot down on a spy mission. Trapped and unable to fly, his one hope for survival and success is to attempt communication with the alien who shot him down. Can they be allies?
- Comments: Yes, another "the movie through Toothless's eyes fic", but...well, read the synopsis. This clever, snarkily-narrated epic adds so much to the original story that you could almost forget it's a retelling, but still ties in nicely with the movie's plot. (Also, secret agent!Toothless. That should be enough to make you want to read this.)
Hitchups by The Antic Repartee (completed)
- Recommended by User:Smash Genesis, User:Jonshine User:MC Ham Guy, User:Twirling Feather, User:Point Blank, Crystal Blue, Saphruikan, User:Kris Mahai
- Synopsis: Hiccup didn't see the point in stopping Astrid as she ran off towards his village—towards his father—with his most desperately protected secret. He was leaving anyway. Deviates from movie. Borderline bromantic-comedy.
- Comments: Well, this is certainly an interesting idea. As a "what-if" scenario, the what-if here is "What if the thing that caused the last third of the movie to happen the way it did didn't happen, but instead, just the opposite?" And at first, it actually feels like it could be the end of the movie. Unfortunately, this feeling dissipates when Hiccup's hot guardian angel comes in and he develops a crush on her and finds out that both his destiny and Toothless' are coming to fruition and they will end the war between humans and dragons. I guess this is cannon, but it still feels out of place for HTTYD. Still a great fic, where everyone is very much in character. Worth your time.
- Look. It's Hiccup when he decides to leave, then manages to steal from pirates repeatedly, chill out classily with naked benevolent mermaids without them killing him for being perverted, and rides IN A SEA SERPENT'S MOUTH. That's just the first ten chapters. There are thirty. And there will be more. Each of them is just as incredibly awesome as the first ten. Seriously.
- While this is a great read and has a lot of wonderful things going for it, such as differences in language, lots of Norse Mythology and a new spin on the characters in the story, sometimes the story strays too far away from the original feel and turns into a different world entirely. Whether this is good or bad is up to you, but I will say one thing; you will have fun.
- This fan-fic has clearly evolved as each chapter progresses; first starting out as a generic "What-If?" scenario into something more of a Norse Epic. The figures from both Mythology and History are blended in so well that It would seem that you are still in the HTTYD universe. After 35 chapters (and still continuing), this story has shown potential to an amazing degree. Whether you like the changes made or not, you will definitely have a wonderful ride.
- This is an awesome, amazing story, with plenty of twists and turns, history and movie!reality smashed together into a very, very compelling fanfic that reads more like an actual published novel! Read this story, this author is fantastic, you won't regret it!
- User:Jiven: Has a trope page.
Helheim's Gate by Inquisitive Tea
- Recommended by User:Jonshine
- Synopsis: Something is wrong with Toothless. Hiccup will go to Hel and back to fix it. Told with a twist on Norse mythology.
- Comments: Well written, a piece rather on the 'serious' side, and delving into Norse mythology. Complete. Has an equally good sequel, The Only Good Fight
I Hear Him Scream by Rift-Raft (currently WIP)
- Recommended by User:Symphonic Gryphon, Fiwen 9430, User:Forkinyoureye
- Synopsis: Hiccup is the first Viking to shoot down a Night Fury. Unfortunately for him, it has terrible consequences. Dragon!Hiccup.
- Comments: There aren't many good 'Hiccup turns into a dragon' fanfictions out there, so this one was a surprise. Among other things, it's serious, it has thorough, in-depth character development, and the sheer amount of thought put into each detail makes it an incredibly great read. To make it even better, it takes place in the first scene of the movie; so, when the deed is actually done, Hiccup is immediately exiled. Simply put, it's a very well-written piece that is well worth your time.
Vestige by Contralissimo (currently WIP)
- Recommended by User:daazihopper
- Synopsis: Post-movie. After a long hunting exercise with Spitelout, Hiccup & co. return to find Berk deserted...but not empty. Can they survive long enough to find their tribe? T for violence, scariness, booze, mortality. It's gonna get ugly...
- Comments: Just how it sounds, the six teens and Spitelout suddenly find themselves in a fight for their lives while trying to solve the mystery of what happened to Berk. A rare example of brilliantly-executed Darker and Edgier. But while the plot is bleak and the suspense will pull you in like a black hole, there is still a fair amount of charm and humor dropped in to balance things out, to beautiful success. And even in the most far-flung and unexpected circumstances, everyone is still magnificently in-character. The story is incredibly well-written, and it reads like a dream. Definitely worth a look!
- Recommended by User:Not JM Keynes
- Synopsis: AU. When the Vikings first came to the island of Berk, they killed almost all dragons that lived there, however, one of them made sure to leave a parting gift to the viking leader.
- Comments: A rather decent HTTYD fic. The writer is kind of simplist (the author uses English as a second language) but the fic manages to be entertaining because the author explores more the differences and similarities between humans and dragons, the result is that the secondary human characters are Demoted to Extra, while dragon OCs are abundant ( and the dragons aren't slaves of Red Death, until they decide to wake her up to make her wipe out the humans), but they are well developed. Hiccup's journey stars when he has seven years ( also Toothless does not appear in this fic, rather Hiccup is toothless) so his character develops different from the movie. Again, it is a very interesting reading, if you'd like to see things from the dragons' POV.
- Recommended by User:Kaoru Sailor Z
- Synopsis: A Sci-fi remake of the film. It's been three hundred years, but we haven't forgotten the day the Dragonoids came. Now humanity has been reduced to a few pockets of civilisation, struggling to survive. But for the people of The Dome, the war will continue.
- Comments: There are a number of remakes of the film in fanfic and some are modern portrayals of the said film. It's very well-written with a certain flare but still retained the spirit of the movie. It's in a break until the author finished the story, that is when the story is going to be updated. It includes... Mecha, I tell you. Humongous Mecha.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
Of Hills and Bluebells by Enchantable
- Recommended by User:J Blaze, Fiwen 9430
- Pairing(s): Hiccup/Astrid
- Synopsis: Hiccup has a little trouble making it up the hill to his house, fortunately Astrid's there to help and the two of them get a moment to be, well, viking teenagers who saved the world.
- Comments: Fluffy fic adding depth to the romance we see on-screen between Hiccup and Astrid. A nice juxtaposition of the fast and tense pace of the movie with a slow and languid character-driven fic where teenagers just get to be teenagers. Very emotionally evocative. Enchantable sets a high bar for shipping fics in this fandom.
- TG Geko: Thumbs up for this one. It really explores the implications the movie ended with. Everyone is very much in character it's almost scary.
Crash Courses in Marriage by Funk-tastic
- Recommended by User:Eegah, User:Jiven
- Pairing(s): Hiccup/Astrid
- Synopsis: In a year since the events of the film, Hiccup and Astrid's relationship hasn't advanced past that kiss. Until their fathers arrange their betrothal, and they're both suddenly thrust into married life.
- Comments: Funny and sweet in equal measure, with great portrayals of Astrid's family. The author is also very knowledgable about Viking customs, giving the story a comparatively real world grounding that really works. Some fairly explicit sexual stuff, but it all comes naturally from the story.
- Funny, really funny. Somme moments are awkward and crispy, it's just bringing a smile to the reader. Sure, the chapters are short, and there is not enough mention of dragons, but it's enjoyable.
- Recommended by User:Minato
- Synopsis: Toothless is feeling conflictions between her nature and her friendship with Hiccup, and wonders if he would agree to a deeper bond of forbidden friendship.
- Pairings: Hiccup/(Female!)Toothless
- Comments: an unusual Rule 63 ship, the story keeps Hiccup in character, keeping his snarky way of speaking. The story is filled with endearing fluff between Hiccup and Toothless, along with progressively making the both of them fall in love at a believable pace, keeping the general bond of friendship between the two throughout the fic. While there are a few M-rated scenes between Hiccup and Toothless, the story goes to lengths to keep it as natural as possible. Along with entertaining references and mythology gags in the story, it is definitely worth a read.
Irritation, Hatred, and Something Else by Backroads
- Recommended by Much Ado About Nonny
- Pairings: Ruffnut/Fishlegs, Hiccup/Astrid
- Synopsis: Arranged marriages are common occurrences in Berk. Does that mean it's a good idea to pair up Ruffnut and Fishlegs?
- Comments: This unusual pairing makes for a really interesting story. Very in character, alternating between hilarious and sweet.
- Recommended by Fiwen 9430
- Pairings: Hiccup/Astrid, and in the sequel Ruffnut/Fishlegs
- Synopsis: Hiccup's been away for six months. When he finally comes home, he's... well, maybe Astrid and Ruffnut shouldn't be blamed for their reactions. And they're not the only ones... The first story focusses on the relationship between Hiccup and Astrid, which is threatened by others who have taken a fancy to Hiccup. In the sequel Hiccup is kidnapped by people who want his dragon training knowledge for themselves.
- Comments: The first fic is genuinely sweet, everyone is in character and there is quite a bit of tension behind the fluff. The second is pretty epic and more plot-focussed, and features Hiccup ending up as a slave in Rome while several others from Berk set out to rescue him. There are a few M rated scenes between Astrid and Hiccup here and there in both, but they fit naturally into the story. It is clear that the author has done a fair bit of research on customs, geography and history. Both definitely worth a look.
Forgive by Luki Dimension
- Recommended by User:J Blaze, User:Zelenal, User:Jabberwocky Pie
- Synopsis: A thoughtless comment made by Snotlout makes Hiccup doubt the friendship he has with Toothless.
- Comments: Poignant, reflective piece about the nature of Hiccup's relationship with Toothless and whether or not a friendship only made possible by injury that necessitates cooperation is real or not. Cute and utterly in-character.
- User:Jabberwocky Pie would like to further recommend any other How to Train Your Dragon fics by Luki Dimension, which can all be found at that fanfiction.net page. They're pretty much all one-shots and all completely in-character.
Designated Driver by General Zoi
- Recommended by User:J Blaze
- Synopsis: Drunk!Ruffnut and drunk!Toothless try their level best to annoy Astrid to death.
- Comments: Vikings love their liquor. It's only proper that Viking dragons do too. Features an absolutely hysterical drunk!Toothless being "celebrated" by the village for his contribution to the battle. General Zoi's interpretation of Ruffnut -- which arguably just takes her characterization in the movie to the logical, and amusing, extremes -- really steals the show.