|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
I'm the cream of the crop, I rise to the top, I never eat a pig cause a pig is a cop
Consisting of two Irish-American M.C.'s, Everlast and Danny Boy, and a Latvian-born DJ, Lethal, House of Pain is best known for their 1992 hit, "Jump Around", which has given them a One-Hit Wonder in the United States, although they've had other hits overseas.
Everlast started off his career solo as the Token White member of Ice T's Rhyme Syndicate, releasing a solo album, Forever Everlasting in 1990. House of Pain formed in 1991, and released a Self-Titled Album which earned a lot of respectable press and sales, and a megahit single, "Jump Around", partly due to their association with Cypress Hill, whose DJ, Muggs, provided some of the album's production. They also participated in a Rap Rock fusion with the metal band Helmet for the Judgement Night soundtrack in 1993. A second LP, Same as It Ever Was, was even better received by critics, but not in sales.
Concurrent with the bombing of their third album, Truth Crushed to Earth Shall Rise Again, the band split up and Everlast pursued a solo career, utilizing a different sound reflecting a mix of some of his favorite genres, including rock, blues and country. DJ Lethal also joined the Nu-metal band Limp Bizkit, and for a while, it seemed that House of Pain was dead, until all HOP members formed the new group La Coka Nostra, with Ill Bill and Slaine, in 2006. House of Pain officially reformed in 2010, and will release a new album.
"Jump Around" is a popular favorite, often played at sporting events in the United States, covered by Limp Bizkit in concerts, and translated into Gaeilge by Irish comedian Des Bishop. "Top O' The Morning to Ya" is another favorite from the group, featured in the movies Daredevil and Heat.
- Danny Boy
- DJ Lethal
- House of Pain (1992)
- Same as It Ever Was (1994)
- Truth Crushed to Earth Shall Rise Again (1996)
House of Pain demonstrates the following tropes:
- Bawdy Discography
- Boastful Rap
- Drunken Song: A lot of 'em.
- Fighting Irish: Primarily Everlast.
- Islam: Everlast. At the end of their first album, he thanks Allah.
- The Luck of the Irish: The source of Everlast and Danny Boy's mic skills.
- One-Hit Wonder: In the U.S., at least. They had other hits in the U.K.
- Rap Rock: "Shamrocks & Shenanigans (Boom Shalock Lock Boom / Butch Vig Mix)"
- Rap Metal: "Just Another Victim", with the band Helmet.
- Shout-Out: "To the kids on the Hill, plus my mom and my pops."
- Signature Song: "Jump Around"
- Take That: "Calvin Klein's no friend of mine/So I don't like Marky"
- The Stoner: Entire group, although beer is more prominently referenced.
- Token White: House of Pain were among the first really successful pre-Eminem white rappers (including Beastie Boys and Vanilla Ice).