|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Some days the reaper ain't looking so grim; some days the past is the only mine that has gold.—"Nobody's Accusing You (Of Having A Good Time)" Hot Hot Heat
Hot Hot Heat are a new-wavy, Canadian dance-punk band from Victoria, British Columbia formed in 1999. They're known for their catchy, frantic songs and witty lyrics. Although not overtly popular in the mainstream, they've had a few chart-climbing singles and maintain a dedicated fanbase. Extremely hook-laden songs await.
Their current line-up is:
- Steve Bays (vocals and keyboards)
- Paul Hawley (drums)
- Parker Bossley (bass)
- Luke Paquin (guitar)
Former members include:
- Dustin Hawthorne
- Matthew Marnik
- Jimmy Sweet
- Dante DeCaro
- Scenes One Through Thirteen - 2002
- Make Up The Breakdown - 2002
- Elevator - 2005
- Happiness Ltd. - 2007
- Future Breeds - 2010
This band provides examples of:
- Black Sheep Hit: Previously, fans had loved Hot Hot Heat for their harder, dance-punk songs. Their largest hit, "Middle of Nowhere" was rather pop.
- Break Up Song: Happiness Ltd. was basically a breakup album.
- Creator Backlash: Former member, Dustin Hawthorne once said of the band's biggest hit, "Middle of Nowhere", "I hate ('Middle of Nowhere') and I wish it was never written. I can't deny that it definitely did something good for our career, for sure. But, to me, it's adult contemporary. And it's kind of funny to me, because I grew up playing punk and here I am playing this jackass-sounding song."
- Ear Worm: Too many songs to list.
- Epic Riff: A few times, notably "Middle of Nowhere" and "Bandages".
- Face of the Band: The band has gone through a lot of line-up changes, but fans seem to always remember Steve Bays. Although there may be a reason for this.
- Memetic Mutation/Running Gag: Nobody can understand the lyrics to "Bandages". Maybe they are "sandwiches, sandwiches, sandwiches"? To quote a band member, "That's what you're saying? I always wondered what the lyrics were to this song..."
- Messy Hair: Steve Bays, with all of his unruly ginger curls, certainly counts.
- Sanity Slippage Song: "Oh, Goddamit" qualifies. "Oh, oh goddamit, I think I've lost it. Oh goddammit - I think I've lost you."
- Sesame Street Cred: They popped up for an episode of Yo Gabba Gabba.
- Signature Style: Steve Bays' voice has led to him being described as a "headlong yelper" by Rolling Stone Magazine.
- Silly Love Songs: Love songs? Yeah. But the silly part was averted for most of their career, with their first silly, happy love song coming out in 2010.
- Wanderlust Song: "This Town" is all about leaving town.