|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The Hitler Rants (also known as "Hitler Reacts", "Hitler Parodies" or "Downfall Parodies") videos are a fanmade series of Gag Subs involving the titular Hitler from Downfall, often ranting about several topics. Said rants are usually anachronistic, often over trivial matters and sometimes can even relate to current events of the time a video gets made, all for Rule of Funny. The most common scenes used are usually Hitler melting down while in his bunker upon hearing that Felix Steiner couldn't muster up a counterattack or Otto Gunsche informing him that Hermann Fegelein has gone AWOL.
The series has since expanded to the point where the makers of parodies (or Untergangers in reference to the source material) have practically created an entire universe. Not only this, but it has expanded to the point where it has gained a number of spin-offs using footage from other films, including but not limited to:
- U-Boat Parodies: Using footage from Das Boot. Captain Heinrich Lemann-Willenbrock and the loveable crew of U-96 set out to perform all kinds of antics to embarrass Hitler.
- Stalin Parodies: Using footage from an obscure Russian film the title of which translates as Tukhachevksy, Conspiracy Marshall. Stalin plots various schemes for his own ends, many of which ultimately cause trouble for Hitler.
- Revolution Parodies: Using footage of the Italian version of Duck You Sucker. John Mallory is out to get Hitler, and he nothing's going to stop him from blowing him up.
- American Girl: Using (often dubbed) footage of various movies based on the toy line. The two most common are Felicity Merriman and Kit Kittredge, though Samantha Parkington is starting to become popular.
- Mussolini Parodies: Using footage from a film called Mussolini Ultimo Alto, which like Downfall depicts the fall of Mussolini. Much like Hitler Rants, Mussolini runs into all kinds of trouble and rants about it.
- Gaddafi Parodies: Using actual footage of Muammar-Al Gaddafi. He believes himself to be a superior dictator to the others, and is determined to prove it.
- Drachenlord Parodies: Using footage of the infamous German YouTube user and metal fan Drachenlord (real name Rainer Winkler). In some parodies, Hitler actually confronts Drachenlord while in others he pretty much replaces Hitler as the Führer.
Parodies with their own pages:
The videos contain examples of:
- Actor Allusion: Occasionally some parodies, in an effort to show a character doing something without the use of their respective movie, will use footage of other projects which involved the actor who played them.
- Interestingly, two different characters from two unrelated series were played by Rod Steiger. This video pokes fun at it
- This was also done with Shailene Woodley, as she both played the role of Felicity Merriman in An American Girl Adventure and Alex King in The Descendants. Naturally, someone had to make a parody out of it. What's even bizarre was that of Felicity wearing modern clothing, in stark contrast to what she wore in the late 1700s.
- Anachronism Stew
- Anti-Hero: Pretty much any way you look at it, no matter which person is the central focus of the parody in question.
- Arch Enemy: Hitler has so many of them. There's Fegelein and Himmler, but then we also get Stalin and his antic master Mikhail Tukhachevsky, the entire U-Boat Parodies crew, Kit Kittredge, Felicity Merriman, Mallory, Drachenlord, just to name a few...
- Art Shift: BewegungsunFISH's parodies uses lots and lots of 2D cartoon-style animation.
- Big Damn Movie: Surprisingly, a lot of them. They are listed here.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: Lt. Werner might appear at first glance to be just a really shy and reclusive officer, but whenever Captain Willenbrock finds an antic-related job for him Hitler's in a lot of trouble...
- The same goes with the American Girls - Felicity, Kit and Sam might look like a bunch of innocent ten-year olds, but they can pack a lot of punch, especially for Lissie, the colonial antic master.
- Call Back: When being informed he dies at the end of Inglourious Basterds, he references one of the original videos, in which he lost his Xbox Live account.
- The Captain: Captain Willenbrock.
- Complexity Addiction: Mallory is so keen to blow up Hitler, but he never once seems to stop and consider the possibility of maybe using more reliable tactics... like just shooting him.
- Cool Ship: U-96, the setting of the U-Boat Parodies.
- Crossover: Many have been done so far, most prominently Hitler making phone calls to other depictions of himself.
- For that matter, Hitler vs. Khan, which is Exactly What It Says on the Tin, and the perspective flipped The Wrath of Hitler. Both videos splicing together footage from Star Trek II the Wrath of Khan to make it look like Hitler is battling with Khan and Captain Kirk respectively.
- Hitler Visits Ponyville, a seven part series in which Pinkamena is unleashed on Berlin, and Hitler and Fegelein work on trying to stop her.
- Der Frozengang, which retells the entire Frozen film, but with loads and loads of changes, the most obvious being that Downfall characters now play an important role in the story with Hitler as the Big Bad.
- Denser and Wackier: A lot of Bossimias and TheSilverUniverse′s parodies.
- Depending on the Writer:
- Hitler is either a raging Man Child, a Butt Monkey of crazy pranks, or even the Only Sane Man.
- Gunsche is usually the straight man to Hitler, but sometimes quirks into constantly spouting the obvious.
- Fegelein can be anywhere from a constant prankster to The Ghost to even the Big Bad with almost god-like powers.
- The technology and places used can vary between well-known and established modern names (ie. Windows 7 and Gamestop) to a Nazi Bland-Name Product (ie. Windows 1945 and Reich Games).
- In cases where Hitler is aware of the parodies, he can be either incredibly supportive of them (to the point where its depicted as though he himself actually writes and acts in them to entertain people) or he outright despises them and actively tries to get rid of them.
- The Determinator: There is literally nothing that can stop Mallory from his quest to blow up Hitler, and for that matter any antic master.
- End of Series Awareness: Discussed when Constantin Films, the producers of Der Untergang, forced Youtube to remove most of the videos.
- Epic Fail/Failure Is the Only Option: Well, that's a nice way of putting some of the things that happen in the bunker.
- Possibly inverted in the U-Boat Parodies, at least from Willenbrock's point of view. For him, success is the only option, though that still usually results in him finding some way to benefit from Hitler's misery. Stalin Parodies follow a similar concept, though Stalin does occasionally get humiliated in comedic ways.
- To a lesser degree, Mallory usually causes massive amounts of property damage, and does occasionally manage to blow up Hitler... but the strange way the Physics of the Parody Universe work ensure that either Hitler survives or his death his only temporary, leaving Mallory to constantly have to try new things.
- Even Evil Has Standards: In this video, Hitler rants about paedophillia
- Extreme Omnivore: Göring, oh so very much, especially in Superdumpfback′s parodies and in Hitler Sends Göring to Africa, where he actually eats Mobile Suits! There's even a non-canon episode where he EATS THE SUN!!!
- Flanderization: The officers are usually flanderized to just their most obvious actions. For instance, Goring is simply a Fat Bastard, Jodl constantly objects, Krebs has a map-pointing fetish and Gunsche informs Hitler of anything.
- In the spin-off parodies, Mallory is a psycho whose solution to any problem is through explosives (usually dynamite), leading him to constantly blow various things up.
- Foil: Captain Heinrich Lemann-Willenbrock to Hitler. Hitler spends most of his time ranting and shouting at his incompetent staff to carry out plans which they can never manage. Meanwhile, Willenbrock, who doesn't even have a position of government, is calm, rational, and plans his schemes carefully. Guess which one normally succeeds.
- Gag Sub
- The Ghost: Steiner, though some have found ways to make him appear.
- He Who Must Not Be Seen: Stalin, Steiner and (sometimes) Fegelein, which is often played with. Stalin's shown up more since he got his own series.
- Idiot Ball: Goes back and forth depending on the parody. Hitler can go from being the Only Sane Man in one video to a complete moron in the next. Then of course there's Jodl, whose reasons for objecting to his plans range from pointing out blatant flaws to outright insanity.
- Implacable Man: Anyone associate with antics will find a way to come back from the dead.
- Joker Immunity: Practically every single one of Hitler's arch enemies. On the rare occasion he does catch one of them, they'll always escape.
- Karma Houdini: Just about every antic master normally gets away with whatever scheme they've just pulled to make Hitler's life miserable. Once in a while, Fegelein gets arrested, but he usually gets out of it.
- Mallory has yet to receive any form of comeuppance for what may be over thousands of dollars worth of property damage he has caused, or his numerous attempted murders.
- Karmic Trickster: Stalin's plans have one thing in common -- to piss off Hitler.
- Locked in a Room: Several videos had the entire Bunker staff stuck in everything from elevators to closets to roller coasters.
- Loveable Rogue: Captain Willenbrock and the crew of U-96.
- Medium Awareness: In some videos, Hitler and some others are aware of the parodies, often in disgust.
- Mondegreen: All over the place, but the most common one used is "Sorfort!" , which is very often subbed as a Precision F-Strike.
- Mundane Made Awesome
- Politically Incorrect Hero: Given that the "hero" is often Adolf Hitler.
- Pragmatic Villainy: In this video, Hitler is outraged that the Jews have been subjected to extermination... because he wanted them to finance Germany's reconstruction
- Reality Warper:
- Fegelein, although Hitler has his moments.
- Hitler's pencils have the power to do anything from blowing up buildings to stopping time. It gets even more absurd, as quite a few characters have superweapons hidden in seemingly ordinary objects, such as forks, bottles, and even select body parts.
- Captain Willenbrock tore a hole in the space-time continuum, in the process creating mass chaos, and forcing Hitler to listen to a horrible alternate mirror version of Kate Bush just for a laugh.
- Rogue Agent: Willenbrock. And in some parodies, any other character may qualify.
- Running Gag: No matter what the topic is, Stalin, Steiner and/or Fegelein are somehow involved. Generally, Steiner has done something wrong or is doing something off screen like getting ready to drive Hitler to wherever he needs to for his latest plan, Fegelein is up to his trollish antics and Stalin knows better than Hitler about the topic.
- Rule of Symbolism: There are very specific individuals representing good and bad music, which depends on the Unterganger. In HitchcockJohn's parodies, Kate Bush exists as the personification of beautiful, powerful, and incredible pop music, while on many, many, many Untergangers' parodies Justin Bieber is used as a personification of crappy music.
- Seadog Beard: Captain Willenbrock and the crew of U-96 frequently, though they do tend to shave more frequently than they did in Das Boot.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Mallory, especially when Hitler is present. Also occurs if said parodies just happen to use videos of things exploding, even without Mallory's presence.
- What Do You Mean It's Not Heinous?: For starters, try telling him that his Xbox Live account has been banned for life.
- Your Answer to Everything: Every problem Hitler faces will be met with ranting, Fegelein will always deal with his problems via antics, and of course Mallory's solution to everything is to blow it up.
Gunsche: There is now a separate page for Hitler Rants. Fegelein made the request to TV Tropes.
Hitler: I should have known that imbecile would find yet another way to make me look like a fool. And now he's done it! With a separate page for Hitler Rants, I'm fucked! I was hoping the Downfall page would bury all the antics that go on in the bunker. But no! Now bring me that Screwy Squirrel Fegelein! FEGELEIN! FEGELEIN! FEGELEIN!
- ↑ Immediately!