|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
These are recommendations made by Tropers for His Dark Materials Fan Fics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here.
Do warn when a fanfic may head into non-canon territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping is Serious Business. You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.
Authors and Websites
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
The Lonely Traveler by Cory Calhoun
- Recommended by User:Thagomizer
- Synopsis: Intended to be the first of a trilogy, would follow Lyra, Will, and their children in their respective universes, and a new character as they work to establish the Republic of Heaven.
- Comments: Easily the best fanfiction in a series sorely lacking in it, this is one of the best fanfics I've ever read. Sadly, it was guillotined by the author before it really began to take flight, but what is there is still an incredible read.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
Better Days by Welcome to Maddieland
- Recommended by User:Aver
- Pairing(s): Lyra/Will
- Synopsis: What if Lyra had picked the option to go to Wills world instead of staying in her own? Takes place after The Amber Spyglass.
- Comments: It's only a short fic, but it's certainly worth a read. From the beginning, you know that it isn't going to end well, but you keep on reading and hoping that maybe she survives after all. It's angst you see coming and yet it's a surprise when it happens. If the writer can do that, then it proves he's very good. Certainly worth a read.
like gold to ayery thinnesse beate by laleitha.
- Recommended by User:Vifetoile
- Pairing(s): Lyra/Will
- Synopsis: A door missed - or left apurpose - can be found even when you aren't looking for it. Takes place after The Amber Spyglass.
- Comments: Yes, it's one of a million stories reuniting Will and Lyra again -- but this one actually pulls it off incredibly well. Aside from a few logistical issues, the story really feels like a part of the original books, on every level -- including a strong narrative voice, believably mature Will and Lyra, and strong characterization overall.
The Ivory Horn by kaydeefalls
- Recommended by Selina Catz
- Fandoms: Narnia, His Dark Materials
- Pairings: Will/Lyra
- Synopsis: If there's a way back out of this world, Will is determined to find it. At any cost.
- Comments: Will wants to get Lyra back, Susan wants to enter Narnia again. The two of them meet.