|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
This page is for the characters that appear in High School DxD.
THERE WILL BE SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T READ THE LIGHT NOVELS! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
- 1 Occult Research Club
- 1.1 Issei Hyoudou "The Pawn"
- 1.2 Rias Gremory "The King"
- 1.3 Akeno Himejima "The Queen"
- 1.4 Asia Argento "The Bishop"
- 1.5 Yuuto Kiba "The Knight"
- 1.6 Koneko Tojo "The Rook"/Shirone
- 1.7 Xenovia Quarta "The Knight"
- 1.8 Irina Shido
- 1.9 Gasper Vladi "The Bishop"
- 1.10 Rossweiss "The Rook"
- 1.11 Azazel
- 1.12 Ravel Phenex
- 2 Student Council
- 3 Four Lords of Hell
- 4 Other Devils
- 5 Fallen Angels
- 6 Angels
- 7 Exorcists
- 8 Norse Mythology
- 9 Greek Mythology
- 10 Japanese Mythology
- 11 Hindu Mythology
- 12 Chaos Brigade (Vali's Group)
- 13 Chaos Brigade (The Old Devils Faction)
- 14 Chaos Brigade Hero Faction
- 15 Dragons
- 15.1 Red Welsh Dragon Emperor Ddraig
- 15.2 White Vanishing Dragon Emperor Albion
- 15.3 Tanninim
- 15.4 Prison Dragon Vritra
- 15.5 Chaos Karma Dragon Tiamat
- 15.6 Gigantic Dragon Fafnir
- 15.7 Sleeping Dragon Midgardsormr
- 15.8 Mischievous Jade Dragon Yu-Long
- 15.9 Ouroborous Dragon Ophis
- 15.10 Apocalypse Dragon Great Red
- 16 Ordinary Humans
Occult Research Club
Tropes relating to them:
- Almighty Janitor: Everyone in the Club with the exception of Rias and Azazel are low ranked devils. Rias is currently one of the weaker members of the Club. You do the math.
- Although latter Issei, Akeno, and Kiba get promoted it's implied that they are still not promoted to where it would indicate their strength level. Especially Issei who at this point should be a ultimate devil with Trianna but is still one of the lower ranked devils.
- Badass Crew: Hell yeah!
- Battle Harem: Even if you include Kiba and Gasper. It gets lampshaded by the author himself at one point.
- Berserk Button: Just about every member of the group has something that pisses them off.
- Five-Man Band: Their initial setup:
Their current setup::
- Heroic BSOD: Everyone's reaction was this when they only saw Rias' 8 pawn chess pieces instead of Issei himself.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: They have the princess of the demon world, a survivor of a horrible experiment, a child of a fallen angel who turned into devil who is also a priestess, three very ditzy believers of god (two of whom are devils), a nekomata that looks like Yuki Nagato, a cross dressing vampire, a Mad Scientist that is also the leader of the Fallen Angel side, a Valkyries that loves money and hates spending too much, a demon phoenix, and finally a very perverted former Ordinary High School Student turned devil who also is a dragon.
- Pyrrhic Victory: They did win against the Sitri group, but lost a lot of members to pull it off.
- Switching POV: The story is usually told through Issei's perspective, however there have been other characters that have gotten a narration from their perspective instead. To date, the only ones who have switched point of views from Issei are Rias, Kiba (secondary narration if there's something going on with Issei), Azazel (when there's a discussion with the leaders involved), and Asia.
- True Companions
- Try Not to Die: When Xenovia and Irina were able to get out of the dimension caused by George, they tell Issei to survive. Guess what happens to him.
- Unskilled but Strong: Not them individually but their whole group in the rating games lack experience hence they often don't do so well against a team in a rating game. This is best exemplified in their match against Sona's group where they had a hard time with Sona's strategies and hence almost lost.
- What Does She See in Him?: With a bunch of really hot babes being head-over-heels for a Lovable Sex Maniac that most girls would typically avoid, this was inevitable.
Issei Hyoudou "The Pawn"
The primary male protagonist of the series and is also called "Isse" by his peers. He gets a girlfriend early on in the story, goes on his first date with said girlfriend, and then gets killed by said girlfriend. Before he gets killed though, he wishes he can be brought back to life and his wish is so powerful that Rias Gremory gets to answer his call and he is reincarnated as a devil. He dreams of being a harem king, unknowingly already in the middle of being one.
- Abhorrent Admirer: In one of the short stories of Volume 8, it's revealed that he has a female gorilla spirit who has a crush on him. Needless to say, he's not amused.
- Achilles Heel: Notable in that he's got twice the number of weaknesses because he's both a dragon and a devil.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: After Rias appears to him all of a sudden in volume 2 and then goes back to her home. Thankfully, the anime omitted that little detail.
- Adorkable: A trait that keeps his harem growing.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Inverted. When Issei's reassuring Akeno that he doesn't care if she's a half-fallen angel, he gives her a string of compliments that end in... typical Issei fashion.
Issei: You're strong, you're smart, you're refined and, let's be honest, you've got a killer rack.
- Ascended Fanboy: He's a fan of Super Sentai shows alongside Irina, and he finally gets a show in hell called Breast Dragon. He's conflicted however whether he's happy about it or not seeing as it's embarrassing for him to have his show called "Breast Dragon", however kids do love it.
- Ascended to A Higher Plane of Existence: He's got both Great Red and Ophis' existence within him.
- A Man Is Not a Virgin: Averted, much to his chagrin because he really wants to lose it but can't because of his indecisiveness. Most of it being trauma that he got by getting killed by his ex-girlfriend and then being told that he was boring.
- Badass: Just to count the ways...
- Badass Abnormal: Having Boosted Gear already makes him a lot more powerful, but with him being a devil, he becomes a lot stronger.
- And then this trope just got increased even more Up to Eleven after having his body created by both Ophis and Great Red.
- Badass and Child Duo: When he and Kunou were the only ones who got together when everyone got separated at Kyoto.
- Badass Boast: "Buchou, Rias Gremory-sama’s virginity belongs to me!!" Said in front of hundreds of devils attending Phenex's engagement to Rias'
- Another one would have to be "If you want to burn me, bring me a phoenix or a dragon!"
- Badass Creed: Gains this after getting Crimson Queen mode instead of Juggernaut Drive.
- Badass Abnormal: Having Boosted Gear already makes him a lot more powerful, but with him being a devil, he becomes a lot stronger.
I who is about to awaken. The Red-Dragon Emperor who discarded away my ambition. I held the infinite dreams and hope within my arms. I shall walk the path of rule of right. I shall become the king of Crimson Dragon. I will promise to you all. I shall show you the future which glows in crimson light.
- He's fighting off other Badass Creeds in his head while reciting this.
- Badass Finger-Snap: When unleashing Dress Break.
- Badass Pacifist: Would prefer talking rather than beating up his enemies. And that's including the past users of Boosted Gear.
- Badass Unintentional: He just wants a harem and not wanting to fight at all. Doesn't stop him from being one.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He's usually thinking about perverted things, but push comes to shove...
- Dare to Be Badass: Delivers this to Gasper when he held the Distress Ball in volume 4.
However, Gasper! It’s no use if you don’t get up on your own, you know? After receiving encouragement by a girl, next is standing up! Don't you have a wonderful pair of balls on you!?
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Gets to land the final blow against Loki.
- Heartbroken Badass: His thoughts reveal that he's still traumatized after getting himself killed by his ex-girlfriend and also rejecting her beg for mercy when she gets killed by Rias.
- Intimidation Demonstration: Does this to Diodora when he punches the ground so hard it causes a crater. This pretty much ends their fight as Diodora was scared of Issei.
- One-Man Army: Defeats an entire group of middle-class grim reapers, beings stronger than high class devils, by himself. And this is with him only using Balance Breaker and at this point, he's a lot weaker because he just fired off two Dragon Blasters, and used Gift on Rias and Akeno. This surprises Siegfried as to how strong Issei really is.
- Submissive Badass: He's even more powerful than any member of his group, however he's still going to follow Rias' orders no questions asked.
- Took a Level In Badass: Took millions!
- Underestimating Badassery: Seems like a lot of people think that he's not as badass as he's supposed to be. He proves them wrong all the time.
- Battle in the Center of the Mind: The past users of Boosted Gear wanted him to use Juggernaut Drive again. He only gets saved thanks to the power of the children and Irina cheering for him, Sairaorg's encouragement, and one of the past users of Albion who's consciousness resided in the fragment Issei absorbed from Vali.
- Berserk Button: Invoked by Vali to make him fight harder. It works too well. Said button is halving his harem's breasts.
- A more powerful one is either harm anyone from his harem, or declaring that they're dead will and he'll rip you apart and eat you. Shalba Beelzebub found this out the hard way. It's not just physical harm either, when Phoenix shows up he humiliates Rias (his fiancee) by making out with one of his Evil Pieces right in front of them prompting Issei to release his Boosted Gear and try to attack him.
- Tell him that you're going to harm children in his presence. We dare you.
Issei: (to Raiser) I don't understand difficult things. However when I lost to you I still remembered one thing from that. You made Buchou cry and that's all I need to know to punch you!
- Beat Them At Their Own Game: Used Samael's poison that was from his body when he fought against Shalba, infused it with a bullet of Gogmagog he found at the Dimension Gap alongside Ophis and Great Red, and used it against Cao Cao.
- Big Damn Heroes: Shows up Back From the Dead with Great Red and Ophis accompanying him.
- Boom! Headshot!: Achieves this in his 2nd fight versus Cao Cao, who lost his eye after that.
- Breath Weapon: He learns how to breathe fire after training with Taninmin
- Can't Act Perverted Toward a Love Interest: Averted pretty damn hard. He'll still make lecherous passes even though he finally is able to confess to Rias. Case in point: use Gift on the latter's breasts.
- It should be noted that the girls like it this way, and constantly encourage said advances.
- Chick Magnet: He's got (in order of who liked him first): Asia, Rias, Akeno, Koneko, Xenovia, Irina, Ravel, Rossweiss, and Ophis. That's not counting the numerous amounts of admirers he has and that's not including the guys who want him. According to Ddraig, dragons are Chick Magnets.
- Chivalrous Pervert: As much as he wants to make any moves, he just can't touch Rias because she's too good, and Asia because she's too pure.
- Cool Sword: Gains the Holy Sword Ascalon after Archangel Michael gives it to him as a gift.
- Combination Attack: Due to his Gift powers, he's able to amplify his ally's attacks and launch a more powerful version. To wit, he pulled off a Field of Blades with Kiba, amplified Power of Destruction with Rias, amplified Akeno's Holy Lightning and his personal favorite with Gasper: Time stopping plus Dress Break.
- Crazy Enough to Work: Most of his powers are pretty much this.
- Crazy Prepared: His entire fight with Raiser at the engagement party. That is all.
- Then there's his fight with Cao Cao, the fourth time.
- Curb Stomp Battle: In the beginning, he's the receiver of this. Then he started training and now, he's delivering all the curb stomps to weaker devils. Just ask Diodora or Shalba Beelzebub.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He treats his Freudian Excuse like it was one. It's actually hilarious.
- Deadpan Snarker: He gets his moments, normally when talking to Matsuda and Motohama. One particulary funny example occurs when he tells them he is going to ditch them to go to Rias' home (In the Underworld).
Matsuda and Motohama: Go to hell, you bastard!!!!
- He also does it (internally) when Rias can't tell who the Maou Rangers are.
- Deadly Upgrade: Juggernaut Drive. Makes him a lot stronger at the cost of his sanity and his devil life span got reduced to 99%.
- Death Glare: He usually receives this from the girls. However, if he does it to you, you might want to run away pretty quick. To the point that although it was a Rating Game, Sairaorg felt a cold chill in his spine.
- Despair Event Horizon: He crossed it when he thought Asia "died" the second time (or at least he thought she died) was this for Issei. Then he unlocks Juggernaut Drive and eats Shalba
- Determinator: Best exemplified with his fight against Raynare and went straight up from there.
- Did You Just Romance Cthulhu?: He gains Ophis' affection from the way she clings at him. The other girls in his harem are not amused.
- Drop the Hammer: Briefly wields Thor's hammer, Mjolnir against Loki.
- Establishing Character Moment: His very first line is "Boobs are the best thing ever.".
- Estrogen Brigade Bait: After his Training From Hell with Tanninim, he has developed quite a good looking body that half of his female classmates have a crush on him, knowing that he's a pervert.
- Even the Guys Want Him: To defeat him, that is. Vali, Sairaorg, Cao Cao and Kiba wants to fight are the prime targets. Needless to say, he's not amused.
- Evil Is Hammy: While he's definitely not evil, his actions whenever using Dress Break and Bilingual plus Gasper's Time Stop makes him one of these in the eyes of a female. Koneko even lampshades it that only villains ever get to be that hammy.
- Fan Boy: Of Sairaorg after witnessing him settle a mess.
- First-Episode Resurrection
- First-Name Basis: He calls everyone in the group, aside from Kiba and Rias, by their first names. Rias however also wants to be called by her first name instead of "Club Leader", however Issei doesn't which frustrates her. He finally does call her by her first name at the end of Volume 10.
- Foil: To Vali for having the greatest Red Dragon-White Dragon library and the fact that their origins are different (Issei's a devil who doesn't have any considerable past, while Vali's the descendant of the original Lucifer). Also, Issei is more of a pacifist and will talk with the past hosts of Boosted Gear, while Vali's more interested in dominating the past users of Divine Dividing.
- Another one would be with him and Cao Cao. Both have companions who are willing to die for them but while Issei isn't willing to sacrifice anybody for his cause, Cao Cao will do anything i.e., brainwashing people for his cause.
- Friend to All Children: Apparently, children are attracted to him for some reason.
- Great Red Was My Co Pilot: Combines with Great Red to Kaiju size.
- Groin Attack: He gets hit after blocking a speeding ball aimed for Kiba.
- Half-Human Hybrid: 1/2 devil and 1/2 dragon to be exact.
- Harem Hero: 2A latter evolves into 2B.
- Harem Seeker: His ultimate goal after getting convinced by Rias.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Out of his harem, he loves Rias the most but he can't spit it out for fear of destroying their relationship (he was killed by his ex-girlfriend after all).
- Heroic RROD: Because of the limits of his body, he cannot call out Ddraig's full power for more than ten seconds without sacrificing a body part.
- Heroic Sacrifice: The past users of Boosted Gear sacrificed their souls just to keep Issei's soul safe in Volume 12.
- Heterosexual Life Partners: With Kiba
- Hidden Depths: He's good at sewing, something that surprises Koneko.
- He also has a love for having a harem and have sexual relationships with his fellow club members but the girls reveal that that they see fear in his eyes whenever they interact with him which shocks him. He still has a lot of trauma in regards to relationships because of Raynare, his ex-girlfriend.
- Horned Humanoid: After activating Juggernaut Drive the first time.
- Hypocrite: When Gasper starts doubting his abilities during training and calling himself useless, Issei scolds him for it. While it could definitely be argued Gasper was being pretty Wangsty, Issei is the last person to point this out as he, only earlier that day, stated he wasn't good enough for Rias, the girl he gave up an arm to save from a horrible Arranged Marriage.
- Idiot Hero: Zigzagged. Well he has his moments he is usually on top of things once someone explains it to him and is not nearly as lacking in common sense as some of the other members of the Occult Club. He only gets really dumb when it concerns Love. He also gets smarter as the series goes on.
- Informed Flaw: Everyone calls him talentless and he's often remarked as the weakest holder of Boasted Gear. At the start that makes sense but once he starts training he completely blows through the more "talented" members of the Occult Club in terms of both strength and the rate he grows stronger. While it's true that he trains hard Sairaorg trains longer and just as hard as him and he still surpassed him in the end. At this point it gets a little ridiculous when someone remarks him as weak or talentless considering how fast he improved.
- Intergenerational Friendship: Lots of 'em in this series and he's always the youngest; the latest being Ophis. And now Great Red is joining the fun.
- Ironic Echo: Him promising to Koneko that he'll never use Dress Break to his allies. For those who haven't read the light novels, he uses it (by accident) towards Asia and Koneko in volume 3 because he was targeting Irina at that time, he uses it at Asia in volume 6 for his Crowning Moment of Awesome, and he uses it again towards Rossweiss in volume 9 because he needed to get past her. The one with Xenovia on volume 8 doesn't count because it was his clone running loose.
- Jack of All Stats: Pawns have the secondary ability of "Promotion" if they are deep in enemy territory (in chess a pawn is promoted when it hits the last row on the opposing side of the board.) Which allows him to promote himself to any piece except a King, gaining that piece's abilities.
- The Juggernaut: Juggernaut Drive. Duh
- Kaiju: When he shows up in his Big Damn Heroes moment alongside Ophis and Great Red, he combines with Great Red and becomes gigantic sized to take out the Annihilation Maker monsters. Word of God states that it's a one time form only.
- Large Ham: Every single time he uses Dress Break and Bilingual to his female opponents, he will be bringing ham.
- Just how hammy was the introduction of Dress Break in the anime? He breaks out his devil wings, pulls off a pose not far off from any Tokusatsu genre, and lets loose with a finger snap. While Ominous Latin Chanting music is playing on the background.
- Let's Fight Like Gentlemen: He insisted to Koneko that he fight Saji in a one-on-one match when Koneko tells him that it's a team battle. He then outright tells Koneko that if Saji wanted to, he could have used his Sacred Gear on her.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Everyone in his harem loves him and they're alright with his perverted antics.
- Love Hurts: It takes him 9 volumes to get out of this and what does he get after confessing to Rias? One volume later, he dies after trying to save Ophis.
- Magikarp Power: How his left gauntlet works. Every ten seconds, his power doubles. Get it boosted long enough and he can even kill any diety. Of course, due to the long preparation, no one's gonna wait for him to power up completely and get their asses kicked.
- Magnetic Hero: He attracts special people like crazy. Practically everybody important in this series had some form of interaction with him.
- Male Frontal Nudity: In episode 2 and it's uncensored even though it's only in a single frame and even then, it's easy to miss it.
- Man Child: At times. The Familiar incident is a good example.
- Me's a Crowd: Something Azazel experimented on him. 300 of him to be exact. And yes, the cover illustration for said short story is a Shout-Out to said movie.
- Mistaken for Gay: After Kiryuu spreads the photo of Issei and Kiba singing a duet together, rumors of them having a relationship spread like wildfire. Doesn't help that Kiba sometimes even outright tells Issei that he'll protect him. Issei just thinks he's nuts.
- Mistress and Servant Boy: He's the servant and Rias is the mistress.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: He grows extra limbs, some of which are sword-like, when in Juggernaut Drive.
- Multiform Balance: How Trianna works.
- Fragile Speedster: Welsh Sonic Boast Knight gives up armor in exchange for speed.
- Glass Cannon: Welsh Blaster Bishop has a long charge time but very destructive attacks.
- Jack of All Stats: Normal Balance Breaker has no weakness but doesn't add any special power.
- Lightning Bruiser: Cardinal Crimson Queen basically combines all 3 modes strong points without any of their weakness.
- Mighty Glacier: Welsh Draconic Rook has heavy attack and defense but due to the extra armor in this mode speed is lowered.
- Mundane Utility: How he acquired Dress Break in the first place was to peel vegetables at a distance.
- Naked on Revival
- Nice Guy: Despite being a pervert he is up there with Rias and Asia as one of the nicest people in the series, which is why he attracts so many girls.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Destroying one of Cao Cao's eye didn't exactly end well when Cao Cao gets a rematch with replacing his now missing eye with a Medusa eye.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: A perverted high school student that is both a dragon and a devil.
- No One Gets Left Behind: Stays behind the group in volume 11 to rescue Ophis from Shalba Beelzebub.
- Normally I Would Be Dead Now: Apparently, if he didn't use Phoenix tears when he and Cao Cao fought the second time at Kyoto, he would have died already.
- The dragon-killer curse would have killed him if Ddraig and the past hosts had not interfered.
- Nosebleed: Too many times to count.
- Not So Different: From KIba, who Issei notes is a bit lecherous himself.
- Oblivious to Love: As much as he's perverted, he doesn't catch the fact that all of the girls in the club love him. Then again, he did get killed by his ex-girlfriend and it still traumatizes him.
- Obvious Rule Patch: Every single time he makes up a new move, the Rating Games always outright ban that move after use the match. Doesn't mean he can't use it when he's not in a Rating Game though.
- Our Hero Is Dead: Near the end of volume 11. It probably won't stick though.
- Pals With Ophis: The only person Ophis even considers as a friend is him.
- And now he managed to become Great Red's friend.
- Papa Wolf: To all the girls, but ESPECIALLY Asia and Koneko. Just ask Kuroka and Diodora.
- Person of Mass Destruction: His missed attacks can blow up MOUNTAINS.
- Trianna-Bishop can destabilize artificial dimensions.
- Kiba even points out later on that whenever they train, it just feels so tiring to train with Issei because one hit from Issei will kill him.
- The first time he uses Trianna Bishop ,he would have killed the entire Hero Faction if Cao Cao hadn't gotten them out of the way.
- Porn Stash: Thinks he hid it pretty well until his mom blurts out where it's located at. Later on, the girls get to look at said stash, which humiliates Issei even further.
- Power At a Price: In the beginning at least with his battle against Raiser, he borrowed Ddraig's power at the cost of his left arm turning dragon-like. For Issei however, it was worth the price.
- Powered Armor: Balance Breaker Boosted Gear Scale Mail
- Power Perversion Potential: Half of his abilities works like this!
- Punched Across the Room: How he defeats his ex-girlfriend fallen angel.
- Defenestrate and Berate: In the anime Yuuma goes out a window instead, only to be hauled back in by Koneko.
- Red Baron: Called by everyone else as Red Dragon Emperor. Then they changed it to Chichiryutei (Breast Dragon Emperor) after completing his Balance Break by pressing Rias' nipples.
- Red Oni: To Kiba's blue.
- Required Secondary Powers: He needs a lot of stamina just to be able to make Boosted Gear work properly.
- Rivals Team Up: With Vali against Loki and later on, with Pluto.
- Roar Before Beating: When in Juggernaut Drive against Shalba.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: He's the one who screams when he accidentally walks in on Asia while she was in the shower instead of the other way around.
- Sealed Inside a Person Shaped Can: Issei is the can to Ddraig.
- Second Year Protagonist
- Serious Business: If you want to put on a strip show for him, take out your bra first before your panties. Sairaorg's Bishop found that out the hard way.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: With Rias. Even referred by Azazel as that stupid couple.
- Shoulder Cannon: His Illegal Triana Bishop form.
- Shipper on Deck: Ships Saji/Souna and Kiba/Tsubaki.
- Shut UP, Hannibal: When Issei is about to finish off Riser Phenex, Riser angrily tells him to stop, saying that his engagement to Rias is important to the future of all devils and that Issei has no right to interfere. Issei, however, refuses to listen, saying that hurting Rias is all the reason he needs to take out Riser. Then he does just that.
- Spanner in the Works: Wrecks his opponents plans like no tomorrow.
- With Reynalle: Punching her in the face so powerful she got blown out of the window (anime)/punched across the room (light novel and manga).
- With Raiser: Beats him up at his own engagement party.
- With Souna: Uses Bilingual on the entire Sitri team and had their plans found out.
- With Diodora: Defeated Reynalle, thus getting Asia's affection.
- Spit Take: When his mom asks him when is she going to have a grandchild ever since he finally calls Rias by her name.
- Status Buff: How Gift works.
- Straight Man: Pulls this off when Asia or Xenovia end up praying and gain damage.
- As long as he isn't in his perverted antics, he's this to anybody. He's this to Rias when he recognized who the Maou Rangers were right away while Rias thought it was a new enemy. Also one to Bikou and Vali when they thought Mil-tan was a Catgirl. He even wanted to point out to Irina that although she's wanting to create a new club, she's still joining the Occult Research Club. And he also is this to Rossweiss when he pointed out that he used Dress Break on her and the first thing she complains is that she wrecked her clothes and that cost her money instead of covering herself up.
- Superpower Lottery: Subverted. While one would think that having one of the strongest Sacred Gear that doubles your power every ten seconds would be a big win Issei himself is utterly talentless and has to compensate by going through Training From Hell to get stronger.
- Played straight when he's now considered the offspring of both Ophis and Great Red.
- Technical Pacifist: Never kills anybody even though he beats the crap out of them.
- Tender Tears: Yes, perverts are able to regard girls as people with feelings-hopes-and-dreams rather than just objects.
- The Champion: For Rias; he'll do anything for Rias.
- The First Cut Is the Deepest: Reynalle's attempt on his life, he feels that even though he would like to pursue a relationship with any member of his unknown (to him) harem, he's scared that he would be rejected almost instantly.
- The Heart: The occult club sticks together mostly because of him. In fact if he ever decides to leave and form his own group both Asia and Xenovia would go with him.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Inverted. Cao Cao, Vali, Sairaorg, and Kiba all express their wishes to defeat Issei one day. Them being all guys, Issei wasn't amused by it.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Delivers this towards Shalba Beelzebub the second time he curb stomped him.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: Hasn't really killed anybody outside of Rating Games and even then, no one dies in Rating Games anyway. He might beat them to a bloody pulp though. His first kill however is from Shalba the second time they fought.
- Time to Unlock More True Potential: Well, it is a shounen series after all.
- Title Drop: Since Great Red used his powers to create Issei a body with the help of Ophis, he's now also known as the "Dragon of Dragons" or "D×D" who's still in high school; or in short, High School DxD.
- Transformation Sequence: When he puts on his Balance Breaker for the first time in the anime.
- Transformation Is a Free Action: Yet somehow, no one attacks him while he's transforming in this form. Even Maou Ranger Red (Sirzechs) lampshades that it's a rule to never attack while the opponent is transforming.
- Unskilled but Strong: His main problem once he actually starts getting stronger is that he lacks technique.
- The Rival: While Vali is more likely his rival thanks to their Sacred Gears, he considers his true rival to be Saji.
- The Worf Barrage: Possibly the weirdest one ever. Dress Break doesn't work on Sairaorg's Bishop because she's willing to strip, thus using said skill would be pointless because ruining a strip show is pretty bad. He then tries to use Bilingual but the only thing that's coming out from her breasts is which clothes is she willing to take off next.
- A more serious example would be his Balance Breaker Scale Mail. If you could break his armor that it indicates that your a threat to him. If you can't expect to be utterly destroyed in combat with ease.
- Tranquil Fury: He's usually loud and hotblooded, but if he's in this state, you might wanna run away pretty quick.
- We Can Rebuild Him: His old body is now dead, however thanks to Great Red and Ophis, he's got a new full-time dragon body.
- We Do the Impossible: Summoning a god from another dimension that other gods don't even know about definitely counts.
- Weirdness Magnet: He even lampshades that he's been attracting a lot of weird people lately.
- What the Hell, Hero?: He's called out by the other members of his group when asked as to what Rias really means to him. He says "Club Leader" is "Club Leader" and not as "Rias", causing Rias to run out of the room crying. Then the girls minus Rias turn around and fix his emotional baggage.
- When All You Have Are Rias' Breasts: Anytime Issei needs a serious power up, it's always going to be with Rias' breasts. Examples include:
- Need to attain Balance Breaker when Issei's getting curb stomped? Push Rias' nipples.
- Need to get out of Juggernaut Drive? Push Rias' nipples.
- Having a power up in the middle fighting the Hero faction? Push Rias' nipples that are glowing.
- Already unconscious from Nemean Reguls equipped Sairaorg? Have Rias' breasts be glowing in crimson color.
- Need to have more firepower when your so tired after using two Dragon Blasters and Gift? Use Gift on Rias' breasts and have them act as a battery.
- World of Cardboard Speech: "Yes I am, a devil!" Cue punching a human Mook to the face.
- Would Hit a Girl: Especially if it's his ex-girlfriend who just murdered his new friend!
Rias Gremory "The King"
Declared as the top one beauty of Kuou academy and the head of the Gremory house, she is a top-ranked devil and is Issei's master. She first appears to Issei after he summons her as he was dying. Taking pity and also interested in Issei's Sacred Gear, she revives him with eight pawn chess pieces. Referred to everyone as "Buchou".
- Action Girl: Kings are supposed to hang back and command their pieces. Rias prefers to mix it in — and it's not a good thing, because a team loses if their King goes down. Both she and Sairaorg are scolded for this.
- Action Girlfriend: After Issei confesses to her.
- Adorkable: When Rias catches Issei with other girls and tends to act childish about it, like getting into a pillow fight with Akeno.
- Hell, pretty much any time Rias acts her true age could count as this. It's really easy to forget that this mature leader of a kick-ass club is actually just a lovestruck teenage girl.
- A Loving Big Sister To Her Servants: She really loves her servants; breaking their hearts and making them cry is a one way ticket to the afterlife.
- Ars Goetia: Her name, Gremory, is taken from one of the only three female demons (of the 72 total)--with the other two being a wolf and a mermaid--mentioned in the Ars Goetia.
- Badass in Distress: That is, if you can call the engagement party with Raiser being a distress moment.
- Badass Princess
- Bad Bad Acting: Didn't really want to play as the Damsel in Distress to lure out the remaining Issei clones.
- Dull Surprise: At first. Then she gets into it, believing Azazel's suggestion. Sure enough, the Issei clones go and try to rescue her.
- Battle Couple: With Issei. Becomes more so when her breasts act as a battery for Issei.
- Bedmate Reveal: Doesn't mind sleeping naked with Issei.
- Benevolent Boss: She loves her warriors so much she regards them as family rather than employees.
- Berserk Button: When the three Fallen angels she and Akeno are confronted by in episodes 4 and 5 say how funny they found Issei being taken in by Yuuma and almost killed by her to be, she only waits long enough for Akeno to tell them they picked a fight with the wrong person before she vaporizes all three of them with a single attack, that's one in total, not one each!
- Harming any of her servants in general. Hell, if you harm even your own servants, she'll roast you.
- Black Bra and Panties
- Can't Catch Up: Gets hit by this hard. Unlike the rest of the club she doesn't gain any new ability thus she didn't get any stronger than where she was at initially. This means that while she was the strongest in volume 1 by volume 11 she is actually one of the weaker members of the club.
- Hell, even she thought she was The Load during her and Ise's fight against Sairaorg and his Pawn.
- She eventually rectifies this by learning some new abilities.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: As soon as Akeno starts making her moves on Issei, she gets jealous.
- Cool Big Sis: Lovingly-kind or sternly-mature as the situation calls for it.
- Cry Cute: Aww, Can I Take Her Home With Me?
- Crutch Character: At the start, she's the strongest member in the club. By the middle part of the series, she's now just at the middle rank. Justified because, Kings in chess are pretty weak.
- She manages to catch up later.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Determinator: While not as obvious as Issei, Rias has the tendency to keep on going no matter how impossible the odds are- when Issei learned that Rias surrendered to Riser in the Rating Game, he was shocked.
- Face Palm: Does this all the time, usually when Issei gets out of control.
- Fiery Redhead: Averted. She has crimson hair, but she's actually a very calm girl who almost never raises her voice, even when angry. Pretty refreshing, considering how many anime redheads play this trope straight.
- Foreign Fanservice: Although they look to have similar skin tone after Issei's mother walks in on the pair naked in bed together she specifically tells his father he's in bed with a foreign girl.
- Heroes Want Redheads
- Idiot Hair
- If It's You It's Okay: She's willing to be naked in front of her servants, especially towards Issei.
- Intimate Healing
- Made of Temptation: Successfully tempts Rossweisse to join the group as a teacher despite her age.
- Meganekko: Sometimes wears one even though she has good vision.
- Magnetic Hero: She has gathered quite a lot of powerful and special people in her group even before meeting Issei.
- Meaningful Name: Lias' Pawn is a Fairy Chess Piece that can also move sideways. It was proposed as a way to 'shake up' the rules of chess, as Issei does for the Rating Game.
- Mistress and Servant Boy: She is the mistress and Issei is the servant.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Nerves of Steel: It takes a lot to make her panic.
- Nice Girl: Strict as she is during missions, Rias is a very kind and sweet girl who's very loving to her servants, to the point that they don't seem like servants at all.
- Onee-Sama: Referred to as one of the two onee-samas in Kuou Academy.
- Out-Gambitted: By Souna.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Her power.
- Rapunzel Hair; Reaches down to her knees.
- Red Baron: Crimson-haired Ruin Princess.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Later on, she becomes known as Switch Princess much to her embarrassment and blames Bikou for it.
- Red Headed Heroine
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: In spades. Rias does show concern about exposure on a few occasions when nudity is forced on her, but if she wants to be naked, she'll be naked. While Issei was freaking out and his mother seemed stunned her response when Issei's mother walked in on them naked in bed was a polite "good morning" without even trying to cover herself up.
- Shower Scene: Multiple times in fact.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: With Issei in Volume 11. To the point that they forget people are watching them.
- Spoiled Sweet:
- Squishy Wizard
- The Strategist: Frequently shown to be very intelligent.
- Tall, Dark and Bishoujo
- Tranquil Fury: Best example is when she kills Raynare.
Akeno Himejima "The Queen"
Voiced by: Shizuka Itou (Japanese), Teri Rogers (English, Seasons 1-2) and Bryn Apprill (English, Season 3)
One of the devils in the service of Rias, she is also part of the Occult Research Club and acts as the main confidant of Rias.
She's actually a half-human and a half-fallen angel who resents her father because other fallen angels killed her mother, so she enters in the service of Rias as revenge.
- Action Girl
- Anti-Hero: Type II. While sweet and gentle in the presence of her friends, she turns into a giggling sadist in combat.
- Berserk Button: Hurt Issei in front of her, and she goes nuts.
- Bunny Girl: Dressed up as one to attract Issei's clones. Naturally, they all fall for it, hook, line and sinker.
- Blood Knight: Enjoys combat a little too much for comfort.
- Cat Fight: She does this with Rias a lot once she falls for Issei too.
- Cool Big Sis
- Dark and Troubled Past: While every member of the club has had their fair share of angst, Akeno's past stands out as the worst of them all.
- Dissonant Serenity: How can she be giggling after killing someone?
- Elemental Powers
- I Hate You Fallen Angel Dad: Until they both resolve it of course.
- Hair Antennae
- Hope Spot: Gave one towards the Issei clones before decimating them with her magic.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: A Miko who is also a fallen angel and a devil.
- Onee-Sama: Referred to as one of the two onee-samas in Kuou Academy.
- Red Baron: The Lightning Priestess
- Romanticized Abuser: Willing to be the sadist. Even on her own father.
- Sex Is Violence
- Skinship Grope: Gropes Rias at the swimming pool of the Gremory household.
- Stepford Smiler: Is usually smiling, however bring up her Dark and Troubled Past or just harm Issei and she'll go nuts on you.
- Tall, Dark and Bishoujo
- The Mistress: What she wants to be for Issei.
- The Tease: Oh so much.
- Verbal Tic: Ara-ara.
- Virgin Power: Took advantage of this to have the Unicorn go near her. She then smacks said unicorn and the group takes the unicorn's horn.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: When not in sadist mode, Akeno come off as a ideal Japanese woman due to her long black hair and gentle smile. Not to mention she is a great cook like Asia and Rias. Akeno is also polite and devoted to Issei and her team. However, Akeno has to work on her Steel- she "depends" on men due to her sad past.
Asia Argento "The Bishop"
Voiced by: Azumi Asakura (Japanese) and Chloe Daniels (English)
A former nun who Issei found and befriended while she was looking for the church of God. She gets killed by fallen angels and is revived by Rias as one of her bishops.
- Alliterative Name: Gamebreaking points for having the same initials as her seiyuu.
- All-Loving Heroine: Even when she was a nun, she didn't care one bit that Issei was a devil.
- Amusing Injuries: Apparently her Nun training is still pretty well ingrained. If she's relieved she usually says something like "Thank god" followed by a whimper of pain since devils cannot pray, however there's really no excuse for her trying to read The Bible repeatedly even though it has the same effect.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Delivers an awesome one towards Diodora when he insulted Issei.
- Burn the Witch: She was seen as a saint when people discovered that she could heal angels and humans, but as soon as it was discovered that she can also heal devils, she got branded as a heretic.
- Clingy Jealous Girl
- Cloudcuckoolander: Gets better has she becomes more exposed to the world.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Damsel in Distress: Twice in fact. The first time was when Twilight Healing was taken away from her and the second time was when Diodora had her as a hostage.
- Dojikko: In her and Koneko's spin-off manga.
- Fish Out of Temporal Water: Doesn't know how to even order any food from a fastfood chain.
- Idiot Hair
- I Just Want to Have Friends
- Nice Girl
- Name's the Same: To Asia Argento.
- The Medic
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Is the girly girl to Xenovia and Irina's tomboys.
- Tsundere: Not her, her breasts! Yes, Issei used his new ability to hear what a girl's breasts are saying.
Yuuto Kiba "The Knight"
Voiced by: Kenji Nojima (Japanese) and Sean O'Connor (English)
The school prince of Kuou Academy and self-proclaimed best friend of Issei. He is also a part of the Occult Research Club in the service of Rias.
He's also the lone survivor of a failed project where a group of kids would wield any holy sword. He swore revenge on those who disposed him and his friends.
- The Ace: Has lots of Fangirls compared to the unpopular Issei, plus he is intelligent and quite powerful. Lampshaded in the anime's end credits, there's a playing card theme, and Kiba is shown as the Ace of spades. Also a really good Foreshadowing too, see below this trope.
- Broken Ace: Despite his cool appearence it is shown in Volume 3 that Kiba has a obsession with revenge which makes him hot-tempered and irrational.
- Achilles Heel: He realizes that if his legs are damaged, then he'll lose overall combat performance. And it shows by Siegfried almost dominating against Kiba when the latter's legs were getting weak.
- Apologetic Attacker: Apologizes to his enemies whenever Issei breaks out a new perverted technique, much to the latter's frustration.
- Berserk Button: Back in the day, if you present to him a holy sword, watch as he goes batshit insane.
- Mentioning in front of him that Issei's sacrifice to save Ophis was in vain is a one-way ticket to a beat down.
- Blue Oni: To Issei's Red.
- Cool Sword: Lots of them. Even more now after all of Siegfreed's swords answer to him.
- Covert Pervert
- Cutlass Between the Teeth: Triple wields demonic swords against Kokabiel. Must be taking lessons from Zoro.
- Chick Magnet
- Defrosting Ice King: Towards Rias when he first became her servant.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Dual-Wielding: And sometimes, triple wielding.
- Elemental Powers: His swords can do this.
- Field of Blades
- Fragile Speedster: By his own admission. And Issei points out later that Kiba's not blocking his attacks anymore whenever they spar.
- Heterosexual Life Partners: With Issei.
- I Owe You My Life: After Issei saves him. To the point that he'll die for Issei, although Issei just thinks it's creepy.
- Me's a Crowd: His second Sacred Gear when it was known that a user only gets to use one Sacred Gear at most.
- Nice Guy: Despite Issei's initial rudeness towards him he still is as polite and even encourages Issei more so then the rest of the Occult Club with the exception of Rias.
- Not So Different: From Issei, who notes that Kiba is a bit lecherous himself. Emphasis on 'a bit' though. They're also both Chick Magnets.
- Oh Crap: When Issei fired his Dragon shot on him when they were training.
- Revenge: His entire reason for becoming a devil under Rias' service is to find and destroy all the holy swords.
- Wham! Line: "That day, we lost Issei-kun."
Koneko Tojo "The Rook"/Shirone
The school mascot of Kuou Academy because of her cute looks, she's also a part of the Occult Research Club.
She's in the care of the Gremory household after her sister killed her former master. Not wanting to become like her, she's sealed most of her powers until Issei convinces her otherwise.
- A-Cup Angst: She alludes to this when asking Issei to have sex with her.
- Also prevalent in the manga when she takes a villain's comment about her size to be about her...ahem...size. She then throws a ton of stuff at him.
- Badass Adorable: Oh, yes.
- Berserk Button: Don't call her "little" or she'll throw things at you, lots of them, in rapid succession.
- Can't Catch Up
- Catchphrase: "You're the worst" whenever Issei reaches a new level of perversion.
- Character Development: At the start she was rather harsh to Issei. After Issei proves his determination and strength she eventually warms up to him. It gets to the point where she eventually fell in love with him. She doesn't even mind having sex with him! She also doesn't mind Issei being perverted as much, so long as it's directed towards her..
- Cute Bruiser
- Crutch Character: She ends up as the weakest combat unit. She eventually asks Kuroka for help to get stronger.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Deadpan Snarker: By far the most sarcastic member of the group.
- Hidden Depths: She's a fan of rapping and shows it off to Issei.
- Intimate Healing: She does this for Issei in order to recover his lifespan. The fact that she does it happily is a sign of her growing feelings for him.
- Little Miss Snarker
- Meaningful Name: Koneko is a good name for a Catgirl as it is Japanese for "kitten" (more literally child cat)
- "Tojo" means "Castle" -- i.e. the Rook chess piece.
- Mighty Glacier
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: Once again, Ayana Taketatsu is associated with cats.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Size inversely proportionate to her titanic strength.
- Soul Power: Senjustsu in a nutshell.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Ravel. Their relationship is even compared to a cat and a bird.
- When She Smiles: So cute that every home should have one.
- White-Haired Pretty Girl
Xenovia Quarta "The Knight"
Former exorcist for the church, she first appears in the third volume alongside Irina to find the pieces of Excalibur stolen by a fallen angel.
- Action Girl
- Anti-Hero: When first introduced, she's definitely this, being perfectly willing to execute sweet, innocent Asia just for being a devil. It's debatable if she fits this after joining Rias's group, but she still seems to think Murder Is the Best Solution.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Lacks a lot of common sense.
- Cool Sword: Current wielder of Durandal.
- Dual-Wielding: Usually wields Durandal but sometimes she wields it alongside Ascalon whenever Issei lends it to her.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Accumulated a lot of fangirls during the Rating Games.
- Heel Face Turn: After finding out that God in the Bible is already dead, she decides to join Rias's group.
- Hot Chick with a Sword
- Mama Bear: When Asia is taken, she VAPORIZES two of the devils who got in her way.
- Murder Is the Best Solution: Done with any talks before the fight? She'll fire off the first blow before anyone else, much to Issei's consternation.
- No Social Skills: Talks about condoms and having babies to Issei out loud in public. Needless to say she doesn't have the slightest social grace.
- Pillar of Light: What happens when she combines Durandal with Ascalon.
- Stuff Blowing Up : She does this with her sword.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Is the tomboy to Asia and Irina's girly girls.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Issei's childhood friend, she first appears in the third volume coming back to Japan in order to look for the Excalibur swords alongside Xenovia. At first, she didn't like the idea that Issei's now a devil, but comes to terms with later. She then joins the club in volume six, reborn as an angel in the service of Michael.
- Action Girl
- Childhood Friend: Of Issei back when they were kids. Whether she's going to be victorious or not is another story, however the author did promise that everyone was going to get a happy ending though...
- Cloudcuckoolander: Like Asia and Xenovia.
- Comically Missing the Point: What does she say when she sees Issei groping both Xenovia and Asia?
Irina: "Go, go do it on a bed! This is too dirty, the hygiene is terrible in this place!"
- Fan Girl: She and Issei used to be Super Sentai fans to the point she would pose just to mimic her favorite heroes. She's pleased when her childhood friend gets to have a TV series of his own.
- Forgotten Friend, New Foe: When they have first met again for a very long time, she was conflicted to kill Issei or not since she's an exorcist at that time while he's a devil. After the Peace Conference however, this is no longer an issue.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Idiot Hair
- One of the Boys: Used to be a troublemaker like Issei back when she was a kid.
- To the point that Issei thought she was a boy when they were younger, shocking him to learn that she was a girl.
- Morph Weapon
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Is actually in between the two characteristics; she's a girly girl to Xenovia but a tomboy to Asia.
Gasper Vladi "The Bishop"
He's the bishop that Rias had before she found Issei. He's also a half-vampire half-human who doesn't even want to suck blood.
- Achilles Heel: Garlic
- All of the Other Reindeer: Born of a vampire nobleman and a human woman, Gasper's social life on either side of his lineage is... crap sack, to say the least. Unlike other demon races, vampires value hereditary purity over familial ties, thus he is often the target of discrimination. As a human he fares no better, being feared and despised for his powers.
- Badass Adorable
- Beware the Nice Ones : He was prevented from learning about Issei's "death" because it would be too traumatic. Then, while he is fighting, one of the Hero Faction taunts him with the truth. Gasper loses it and takes him apart.
- To put this in perspective, the enemy in question was Georg, who was second only to Cao-Cao.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Rias had stated back in the first volume that she had already used one of her bishop pieces when she revived Asia. He makes his first appearance in the middle of the fourth volume.
- Curb Stomp Battle: Happens anytime he uses his Sacred Gear powers. And when he uses his powers and not his Sacred Gear, Kiba outright narrated that his fight against George wasn't even a fight at all.
- Dropped a Bridget On Him
- Even the Guys Want Him: Somehow was able to collect fanboys despite knowing that he's a male.
- Expy: A combination of Seras Victoria and, believe it or not, Dio Brando. For the former, both are Friendly Neighborhood Vampires who are rather shy and submissive, are described as adorable, have grade A Zettai Ryouiki, and brutally snap against the person who had just killed the person that they cared for the most and taunted about that person's death, and during their snapping, both showcase their true power. For the latter, both are blond male vampires lusted after by men in spite of their gender (albeit for different reasons), with the fearsome ability to stop time at will.
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampire
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: When he drinks Issei's dragon blood, his full power manifests.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: When first introduced, he's a complete pushover with zero self-esteem, thinking he's just a useless coward and secretly believing he'd be better off dead. However, he gets more confident over the course of the series.
- No Social Skills: Thinks cross-dressing is perfectly acceptable.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Not that anyone would know if they were not told.
- Not So Different: After Rias explains Gasper's All of the Other Reindeer background to Issei, both agree that he and Asia have a lot in common.
- Our Vampires Are Different: A cross-dressing vampire to be exact.
- Superpower Lottery: Lampshaded by Issei when he complains about how broken stopping time is. And that's not even counting what he has without his Sacred Gear.
- Stupid Sexy Flanders: Issei can't seem to think of him as a guy seeing as he covers himself in a towel from the chest.
- Time Stands Still: His Sacred Gear, Forbidden Balor View.
- Why Did It Have To Be Garlic: One of his main Achilles Heel, something Issei notes that he needs to get out of.
Rossweiss "The Rook"
One of Odin's former valkyrie, she first appears in the story accompanying Odin in the fifth volume to watch the Rating Games. Turns out, she hasn't even gathered a single warrior for Ragnarok.
- Action Girl
- Bodyguarding a Badass: There should have been no reason why Odin needed her at all considering what he can do.
- Cannot Hold Her Liquor
- Christmas Cake: Constantly teased by Odin about this, despite the fact that her age is about the same age as the entire group.
- Hair Decorations
- Hair Antennae
- Hot Chick with a Sword
- Hot Teacher: One of the teachers of Kuou Academy despite being near Issei's age.
- Instant Runes
- Magic Knight
- Money Fetish
- Serious Business: Money is serious business for this woman.
- Yandere: At least according to Issei's description of her.
- Younger Than They Look: Looks and acts like a mature person, but is only around the group's age.
The leader of the fallen angel faction, he first appears in the 4th Volume when Issei mentions that he's one of his primary contractors. He then joins the club as the adviser after being asked by Souna and Sirzechs.
- The Ace: He's a Mad Scientist that reached several breakthroughs with sacred gears and even created a artifical sacred gear. He's also a exceptional Badass that is the leader of the Fallen Angels. To top it off he's extremely successful with women. Needless to say he could be called perfect in everyway.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: How he's described by Issei.
- Badass: Anyone who could hack their arm without flinching has gotta be hardcore.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Well, he is the leader of the Fallen Angel faction.
- Badass Beard
- Badass Labcoat
- Badass Teacher
- Badass Transplant: Replaces his missing arm he cut himself into a robotic arm that he's always wanted to try out.
- Handicapped Badass: Cuts his own arm to free himself from Katreya, then impales her with a spear. Doesn't even seem to faze him one bit.
- Staring Down Cthulhu: Confronts Indra even though the latter's a god while he's just a fallen-angel leader.
- Bunny Ears Lawyer: Like you would never believe..
- Combat Commentator: For the Gremory VS Bael Rating Game.
- Cool Teacher
- First-Person Smartass: Whenever the narration goes to him, he's pretty snarky.
- The Gadfly: Loves trolling Issei for the hell of it.
- Genius Bruiser: He can kick ass and he can also study how to kick ass.
- Incoming Ham: It'ssssssssssss! Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere! Says that line after remembering the conversation Issei had with Tanninim when Issei accidentally summoned the breast fairy.
- Large Ham: When he has Rias "in hostage".
- Laser-Guided Karma: He finally gets his comeuppance after making Issei a Butt Monkey, oh so many times, by the entire group. Hilarity Ensues.
- Major Injury Underreaction: He hacks off his arm using his light attack that supposedly is dangerous for him. He just brushes it off like it's nothing.
- Mad Scientist: He's devoted to studying Sacred Gears. He got excited after seeing Nemean Regulus and demands to Sairaorg to bring that Sacred Gear to his lab for studying.
- Mistaken for Terrorist: He's accused of being a Hypocrite that he's working together with terrorists when he's the one who's wanting peace the most. Needless to say, he's not amused.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Him inviting Ophis to Issei's house in hopes that there will be peace could be one, except it was the lesser of two evils. If he didn't accept Vali's request, worse things could have happened with The Alliance and they would have never been able to gain an extremely powerful ally later on (that being Ophis).
- Oh Crap: When he realizes he's getting ganged up by the group for starting the entire mess of the Issei clones.
- Powered Armor: He uses it infused with Fafnir's spirit. Unlike other Sacred Gears, his is only artificial.
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner: To Cattleya after hacking off his left arm:
I'll give you an arm at least.
- Redemption Quest: If you think about it from the way he wants peace and also to join the Occult Research Club in the first place. He gets it when Issei finally resolves the Akeno-Barakiel issue.
- Say My Name: When Sakra reveals that he knows Cao Cao as a kid, he could only utter out "Indra!"
- Spot of Tea
- The Atoner: Blames himself for his orders to his subordinates like when Reynalle was ordered to watch Issei not kill him or the time when he summoned Barakiel only for the latter's wife die on him while he was away.
- The Casanova: To put it simply, he has a harem. A thousand of them in fact. No, that's not the number of chicks he made out with. He has a thousand harems! And he made out with every single one of them!
- The Mentor: To everybody, but more on Issei than everyone else.
- Too Kinky to Torture: After participating in one of Akeno's S&M plays.
Voiced by: Asuka Nishi (Japanese)
Sister of Raiser, she first appears at Rias' first Rating Game where she was a Bishop, but hardly did anything at all.
- Ars Goetia
- Mega Twintails
- The Ojou
- Supreme Chef: Can cook cakes just fine.
- Sweet Tooth: See above trope.
- Tsundere: Type B.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Koneko.
Troops relating to them:
- Can't Catch Up: With the exception of Saji their overall strength haven't improved compared to Occult Club's consistantly improving members.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Their rather strong but compared to Rias's group their lacking in firepower.
- Weak but Skilled: Compared to Rias group in rating games. They did research on Rias group and used The Plan to almost win.
- Ars Goetia
- Batman Gambit: She used Rias' team's power against them and tricks Rias that their final fight was going to be inside a barrier when it turns out that she was going to let them waste their energy to destroy said barrier. She almost won in her Rating Game too if it weren't for Issei's new technique.
- Elemental Powers
- First-Name Basis: With Rias and eventually, Issei.
- Sue Donym: She uses Souna Shitori as an alias when she's at the Kuou Academy.
- The Stoic: Almost everytime. That's, at least until Serafall appears.
The vice-president of the student council and is also Sona's Queen.
- Attack Reflector: This is how her Sacred Gear, Mirror Alice, works. Oh and whatever damage is dealt with the mirror, it will be returned with twice the damage.
- Hot Chick with a Sword
A pawn of Souna, he's also part of the student council. He also has a dragon inside him and thus was the reason why Souna had to use up four of her pawn pieces.
He's also the wielder of the Sacred Gear, Absorption Line, which is revealed to be a piece of Vlitra. Later when Azazel infuses Saji with the remaining parts of Vlitra, he gains three new Sacred Gears called "Blaze Black Flare", "Delete Field", and "Shadow Prison".
- Almighty Janitor: Not to the same extent as Issei though.
- Big Damn Heroes: Against Loki. Even Issei thought his entrance was cool.
- Cast From Hit Points: The way Saji powers his magic in the Rating Game.
- Dark Is Not Evil: His power evokes dark flames.
- Determinator: To the point Issei's scared of him even though the latter's a lot more powerful.
- Energy Absorption: How his Sacred Gear, Absorption Line works.
- Groin Attack: Koneko hits him there while playing dodgeball in episode 7.
- Sixth Ranger: Whenever he joins the fights with the Gremory group.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: While not exactly evil, when Saji uses Vritra Promotion, no one but Ise can control him. So when it gets used during a Rating Game, when Ise isn't with him....
- Weak but Skilled: Vritra, the dragon inside Saji, is described as the weakest of the five dragon kings. However, Vlitra has a wide array of techniques that Saji can use to defeat his opponents.
Four Lords of Hell
Tropes relating to all four of them:
- Ars Goetia
- Asskicking Pose: As the Maou Rangers.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: They've all earned their credentials to be the Four Lords of Hell by kicking ass and taking names.
- Badass in Charge: Everyone of them, but the most notable one is Sirzechs.
- Bunny Ears Lawyer: Issei even wonders how all four of them can even run Hell's affairs.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Sirzechs (Choleric), Serafall (Sanguine), Ajuka (Melancholic), and Falbium (Phlegmatic).
- Large Ham: When acting as the Maou-Rangers but especially Sirzechs and Serafall.
- Paper-Thin Disguise/Master of Disguise: Issei's not fooled with how all five of them are acting as the Maou-Rangers, so he's the former. Rias genuinely doesn't know that those five are her brother, her sister-in-law, and the other three lords of hell.
- Super Sentai: It's as hilarious as one can think of.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: All four plus Grayfia in a Sentai suit shot down an evil spirit. It tore the the entire sky and ripped open a new dimension.
Voiced by: Junichi Suwabe (Japanese)
The older brother of Rias and one of the four lords of hell, bearing Lucifer's name.
- The Ace: Back in the day.
- All-Encompassing Mantle: When he appears in the anime. Guy's got style.
- Badass Pacifist: Would prefer peace talks instead of fighting, but if push comes to shove, he will vaporize you.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: The boke to Grafyia's tsukomi.
- Cassandra Truth: "Actually, she's (Grayfia) my wife." Grayfia then tells people that she's the head maid of the Gremory household. Yes, they're both married.
- Dating Catwoman: Back in the day, him and Grayfia were enemies because he was from the new generation devils and Grayfia was a servant of the original Lucifer.
- Eldritch Abomination: What the true form of his power of destruction looks like. This was enough to scare Hades, the god of the dead.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom
- Happily Married: To Grayfia.
- Hot Dad
- Inexplicably Identical Individuals: Really looks like a male version of Rias. Of course, that's where the similarity ends.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Grayfia's blue.
- Switching POV: The light novel only shows us the conversation between Lord Phenex and Lord Gremory after Issei defeats Raiser while Sirzechs went away. In the anime, it shows his and Grayfia's perspective on the reason why he handed out the griffon to Issei and his thoughts on the Welsh Dragon joining the devil group.
- The Rival: According to Serafall, him and Ajuka were rivals back in the day to the point they even competed for the title of Lucifer.
- Tranquil Fury: You do NOT want to piss this guy off at all.
Older sister of Souna and also one of the four lords of hell. She's also in charge of foreign affairs.
- Berserk Button: Threaten or harm Souna near her and she will murder them.
- Cosplay: As a Magical Girl.
- Cool Big Sis
- Disproportionate Retribution: Not invited to the school observation? She'll just wage war on heaven.
- Elemental Powers
- Japanese Honorifics: Calls almost everyone "(name of person)-chan".
- Person of Mass Destruction: According to Sona, a simple wave of her staff can destroy Japan four times over.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Is a lot more cheerful compared to Souna.
- The Glomp: Towards Sona.
- The Smurfette Principle
Genius who laid the foundations of the Rating Game and Evil Piece systems. Also likes to give out a mysterious feeling because it's cool.
- Badass: You really do not want to mess with him if you value your life.
- Mad Scientist: Created the Evil Piece system, and modifies it For the Lulz.
- Mistaken for Terrorist: He's accused of being one of the terrorists in Volume 6 despite the fact that he was also attacked. Might have something to do with one of the members of his former house working for Chaos Brigade.
- The Rival: According to Serafall, him and Sirzechs were rivals back in the day.
Considered as the military genius but hardly does any work and just passes his work to either his servants or to other people.
- Brilliant but Lazy: Passes off his work to his servants.
Voiced by: Saori Seto (Japanese)
Sirzech's head maid, and his queen who is one of the most powerful characters of hell and is also Sirzech's wife.
- Ars Goetia
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: Always the tsukkomi whenever Sirzechs does something outrageous.
- Cool Big Sis: To Rias, the stern type.
- Expy: Looks almost identical to Sakuya Izayoi.
- Happily Married: To Sirzechs.
- Hot Mom
- Only Sane Woman: Whenever she joins in the antics of the Four Lords Of Hell. And even then, sometimes she's weird seeing as she suggested to Rias to let Issei touch her breasts to power up.
- Paper Fan of Doom: Whips it out whenever Sirzechs says something stupid.
- Red Baron: The Ultimate Queen
- Switching POV: The light novel only shows us the conversation between Lord Phenex and Lord Gremory after Issei defeats Raiser while Sirzechs and Grayfia went away. In the anime, it shows hers and Sirzechs' perspective on the reason why the latter handed out the griffon to Issei and the latter's thoughts on the Welsh Dragon joining the devil group while Grayfia notes that he's happy about it. It probably reminded them of their circumstances back then.
- The Rival: To Serafall back in the day.
- The Stoic: In head-maid mode. Nothing phases her even if Sirzechs does something stupid.
- Not So Stoic: As soon as she becomes Rias' sister, she'll sternly lecture Rias for a very long time. Not to mention, she'll release an aura so powerful, everyone in the room feels like they're going to die.
- White-Haired Pretty Girl
Voiced by: Takehito Koyasu (Japanese)
Rias' fiance and the 3rd son of the House of Phenex.
- Ars Goetia
- Graceful Loser: He forgives Issei for his actions in cancelling his marriage with Rias, but he won't forgive him if he tries to make any unforgivable moves on his sister.
- Engagement Challenge
- Heroic BSOD: He sulks in his room when Issei defeats him in his engagement party.
- Jerkass: When first introduced in the story. Flanderized in the anime version to the point when comparing him to his light novel version/manga version, he's way different.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite the fact that he still acts like a jerk towards Rias and still kissed his servants in front the group, he actually gave a lot of good advice to Rias and told Issei that if Issei is defeated, it is a blow to Rias. Not to mention, he's the one who gave Rias a handicap and told her that their Rating Game will take place in 10 days and tells her that if she wants to do it now, he knows he'll curb stomp them.
- Playing with Fire
- Superpower Lottery: His main strong point is that he can't be killed. As you can imagine that is enough to get through most enemies.
- Worthy Opponent: Towards Issei when Raiser is finally healed from his dragon trauma.
One of the six young devils who are participating in the Rating Games. He actually first appeared as the devil who Asia healed back when she was still in the church.
In truth, he wanted to have Asia as part of his harem but cannot seeing as she's still in the service of the church at that time. He was going to kill Reynalle however he didn't expect Issei to win against her. He is then killed by the descendant of the old Beelzebub.
- Ars Goetia
- Big Bad Wannabe: He is memorable for being the first villain that Issei completely overpowered. Unlike all the former villains who are all stronger then Issei.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Was only mentioned as part of Asia's Backstory in the first volume before he makes his appearance.
- Netorare: Tells Issei that he'll steal Asia. Three guesses how that ended.
- The Plan: Everything thing he did is for Asia to join him.
Cousin of Rias and Sirzechs from their mother's side and ranked Great King. Unlike other devils, he did not inherit his family's trademark skill which is the Power of Destruction, the same power that Rias and Sirzechs have. Instead, he trained himself to the point that he can fight off anybody. His wish is to become one of the Four Lords of Hell.
- Badass: Oh hell yes! From his first appearance alone, you know he was going to be one of the biggest badass characters of the series.
- Charles Atlas Superpower
- Curb Stomp Battle: Easily delivers this to any weak opponents. Including Hercules, where Rossweiss was having a hard time against him at Kyoto, though she was drunk back then.
- Early-Bird Cameo: He makes an appearance at the end of the anime for a few seconds. He doesn't get to appear until three volumes later.
- Fainted Standing Up: He loses the Rating Game but doesn't even lie down at all.
- Full-Name Basis: To everybody except for Rias.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: Tells the Gremory group to never give up in believing that Issei will come Back From the Dead seeing as he hasn't made out with Rias yet. Without the hitting part of course because of the obvious.
- Let's Fight Like Gentlemen: Requests from Sirzechs to lift up the rules that restrict the Gremory team so that they can fight at full power.
- Lightning Bruiser: Noted by both Issei and Kiba to be fast, strong and durable. Considering how strong Issei is and how fast Kiba is we can take their word for it.
- Megaton Punch: Enough to knock out anybody.
- Muggle Born of Mages: Well, the equivalent of devils, but he still counts.
- Powered Armor
- Power Limiter: Limits himself to just be able to have a good fight with his opponents. Doesn't matter anyway.
- Shipper on Deck: Ships Rias to Issei.
- So Proud of You: When his mom finally wakes up from a coma, she says she's proud of him, causing him to shed a Single Tear.
- Training From Hell: Subjected himself to this so he can become stronger.
- Worthy Opponent: Sees Issei as this seeing as he's wanting to fight one of the two Heavenly Dragons.
Voiced by: Hitomi Nabatame (Japanese)
Issei's ex-girlfriend and is responsible for killing Issei which starts off the plot. She also steals Asia's Sacred Gear, Twilight Healing.
- Dirty Coward
- Femme Fatale
- Good Thing You Can Heal
- Evil Costume Switch: Anime only.
- Hotter and Sexier: The light novel and the manga version of her reveal was just showing off her wings. The anime however, got her to wear Stripperific clothes.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch
- Meaningful Name: Although this is working without the component kanji (and, therefore, a way to look them up), "Yuuma" sounds like "Ghost Fiend"--and "fiendish" barely begins to describe her killing of Issei. Never mind her actually being a Fallen Angel...
- Actually, she reveals she chose that name because "Yuu" means "night" or some equivalent, which was WHEN SHE PLANNED ON KILLING ISSEI!!
- Smug Snake
- Token Motivational Nemesis: To Issei. Subverted in that even after her death, he still looks back on the memories of his first date with her with warmth and fondness.
- Villainous Breakdown: After finding out Issei's stronger than her because of his Sacred Gear.
- Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?: Averted when she and Issei met up again while Asia was with him. After Issei showed off his Sacred Gear, she just shoots him with a light spear in the stomach and mocks him because she thought he only had Twice Critical.
- Wounded Gazelle Warcry: Tries this on Issei when Rias prepares to kill her. He doesn't fall for it.
Calawana, Donnasiege, and Mitelt
Voiced by: Kumi Sakuma (Calawana), Taketora (Donnasiege), and Yuiko Tatsumi (Mitelt) (Japanese)
Three fallen angels who collaborated with Reynalle to get Asia's Twilight Healing and have themselves promoted.
- Ascended Extra: Only Donnasiege appeared in the light novel where he first attacked Issei. In the anime, the other two are introduced.
- Red Shirt: Seeing as they were curb stomped by Rias and Akeno, well...
A fallen angel who steers the plot of the third volume. He steals the pieces of Excalibur to strengthen the fallen angel faction and to tempt Micheal to start an all-out war.
- Barehanded Blade Block: Uses only two fingers to block Kiba's sword.
- For the Evulz: Wants to start the war just so that he won't be bored. That and he's willing to prove that the fallen angels are superior.
Azazel's right-hand man and is also currently married to a devil.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: Azazel notes that if Shemhaza wasn't with him, he wouldn't be able to go far.
- Number Two: To Azazel
Akeno's father who first appears in the seventh volume. He was currently acting as a bodyguard to Odin when he sees Akeno with Issei going to a love motel.
- All Women are Doms, All Men are Subs: Apparently engaged in a S&M session with his wife back in the day.
- Badass Beard
- Big Screwed-Up Family: Let's just say his family relationship isn't going very well. At least, until Akeno gets to forgive and accept him again.
- Elemental Powers
- My Greatest Failure: When he was too late in saving Juri, his wife and Akeno's mother.
- Papa Wolf
Currently the leader of the angels faction because God Is Dead in this story.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: It's implied but he hasn't shown his abilities yet.
- Deadpan Snarker: Can engage in a snark off with Azazel just fine.
- Holy Halo
A former exorcist reborn into an angel and is also Michael's Joker.
- Superpower Lottery: Is the current owner of Zenith Tempest, one of the four top-tier Longinus in this story. It controls temperature which he used to freeze all of Hades' grim reapers.
Voiced by: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (Japanese)
An exorcist for the fallen angels, he first appears in the story in Volume 1 (Episode 3 of the anime) when he kills a human who has a devil contract saying that all devils and humans who contact devils must be killed.
- Ax Crazy: Yep, he's a nutcase.
- I'm a Humanitarian: In the sixth volume, he gets turned into a chimera and when the club meets with him again, he's shown to be eating the two remaining knights Diodora had.
- Large Ham: We think his seiyuu had a hammy time delivering his lines.
- Minor Injury Overreaction: He gets punched in the face by Issei and from there proceeds to lose all sanity.
- Teen Genius: Was apparently an exorcist when he was 13 years old.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Towards Issei for hitting his face.
- Villain Decay: At the start he is presented as a serious threat and actually proved to be a challenge even for Kiba and Koneko. 5 volumes latter he gets one shotted by Kiba.
The Norse god and leader of Valhalla. He's also a pervert.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: His first battle is against an armada of devils who are allied with the old Maou faction. He just casually summons his spear and wipes 'em all out.
- Badass Beard
- Badass Grandpa: Treats Sirzechs, Azazel, and Michael as kids.
- Badass in Charge
- Big Damn Heroes: What does he do as his entrance? Flip Akeno's skirt.
- Cool Old Guy
- Did We Just Have Tea with Cthulhu?: Hung out at Issei's place and drinking tea because he's attending the peace talks in Japan.
- Dirty Old Man
- Named Weapons: Gungnir. This is Odin we're talking about here.
Son of Odin who wants to start Ragnarok.
- Badass Boast: Even if I don't use Fenrir, two fallen angels are no match for me!
- He backs it up.
- One-Man Army: Consider this: one side of the field, you have two Heavenly Dragon users who're fighting side by side, a team of fallen angels, the rest of the Occult Research Club, and the rest of Vali's group. And on the other hand, there's him and Fenrir. He still had the upper hand. It took divine intervention just to even defeat him.
The Big Bad of the third arc of the series. He's also manipulating the Chaos Brigade to start the war in hell.
A servant of Hades and is considered as the ultimate grim reaper.
Daughter of Yasaka and also a nine-tailed fox.
Leader of the Youkai faction at Kyoto and is also Kunou's mother.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Gave Saji a run for his money.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Thanks to Chaos Brigade.
- Distressed Damsel: Causes a lot of problems at Kyoto.
One of the gods of the Hindu mythology and has also defeated the battle-god Asura. He knows a lot more about the things going on than anyone else.
- Bigger Bad: Of the third arc.
- Red Baron: The Emperor of Heaven.
- There Can Only Be One: He tells Azazel that if Issei becomes a threat to the world, then he will personally eliminate him for there's only one room for having the title of "Heaven".
The original Son Goku from the Journey to the West. He's on a mission ordered by Sakra to defeat the Chaos Brigade and he's also trying to catch Bikou.
- Badass: Yep.
- Barehanded Blade Block: Stopping True Longinus with one finger counts.
- Cool Old Guy
- Simple Staff
- Smoking Is Cool
Chaos Brigade (Vali's Group)
Tropes relating to all of them:
- Badass Crew
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Who according to Issei, have nothing better to do.
- Walking the Earth
Currently the possessor of Divine Dividing (the Sacred Gear which seals the White Dragon Albion), he's also a half-human half-devil in the service of Azazel who then defected to the Chaos Brigade because peace is boring for him. Also original Lucifer's great grandson but doesn't seem to care about that.
- The Ace: He's descended from the orginal maou and as such has enough magical power and potential to learn norse magic from reading it without any practice. He's also extremely strong and can mantain balance breaker for months according to Azazel. To top it off he could control and use Juggernaut Drive for a few minutes without losing control which nobody can do. This is all to make him more of a Foil to Issei.
- Achilles Heel: Like Issei, he's also weak to both anti-dragon and anti-devil attacks (former because he's well, a dragon, and the latter is because he's a descendant of the real Lucifer).
- Ars Goetia
- Better Than Sex: He'd rather be fighting strong opponents than having sex and is definitely one of the few men in the series who's not a pervert.
- Blood Knight
- Born Winner: Just take a look at what he has.
- Curb Stomp Battle: Delivers this to Kokabiel.
- Foil: To Issei. He's talented and remarked to be the strongest holder of Divine Dividing thus far while Issei lacks any kind of talent and is remarked to be the weakest holder of Boasted Gear thus far. Also in terms of personality he is a Blood Knight who is not interested in sex while Issei is obsessed with sex and hates fighting.
- I Was Just Passing Through: His excuse for rescuing Asia from the void. Turns out, he was also trying to get Gogmagog and he just happened to see Asia in there.
- The Juggernaut: He also has access to Juggernaut Drive but it won't kill him because he can temporarily control it by consuming his vast magic reserves inherited from being a direct descendant of the original Lucifer.
- Lightning Bruiser: Is very fast and hits hard.
- Not Distracted by the Sexy: Always kept getting teased by Kuroka to make out with her already but he never does.
- The Plan: Him helping out the Kuou group was because he wanted to take Fenrir. The group however just only needed his teeth, and yet he Took a Third Option.
- Rivals Team Up: He and Issei teamed up against Loki and later on when Issei comes Back From the Dead, with Pluto.
- Superpower Lottery: Won it big. Not only is he the holder of Divine Dividing which has the utterly hax ability to divide half of a opponents power and add it to his own power but he also is a descendant of the old Lucifer meaning he has a unnataural ammount of magical energy plus he has enough talent to learn most spells by just reading about them.
- The Rival: To Issei.
- Privileged Rival: He's descended from the old Lucifer and is thus extremely magically talented. This contrasts with Issei's lack of talent in magic and his normal background.
- Villains Out Shopping: Him and Bikou encounter Issei, congratulate him, and went to the ramen shop.
- Worf Had the Flu: Couldn't use Juggernaut Drive against Cao Cao because he was poisoned by an arrow coated with Samael's blood.
Koneko's older sister and also one of the most dangerous exiled devils after killing her master.
Turns out, her master wanted to become a lot stronger by performing crazy experiments so she killed him before he corrupted Koneko.
- Blood Knight: Even Issei calls her one.
- Boobs of Steel: Well, she's a nekomata and she did kill her former master in cold blood.
- Cain and Abel: Oh definitely. Until you find out that's she's actually protecting Koneko from harm.
- Cool Big Sis: Not that she'll ever admit it.
- Freudian Excuse: The reason why she murdered her master was because he was making a lot of crazy experiments to make his team and his blood relatives stronger. She didn't want Koneko to be in danger for being part of a crazy experiment so she killed him to protect her.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Koneko. Their hair colors are even the exact opposites.
- Taking the Bullet: Took Vali's blast which got reflected by Cao Cao going towards Koneko.
A descendant of Son Goku, he first appears in the fourth volume picking up Vali who was about to release his Juggernaut Mode against Issei.
- Oh Crap: Whenever the original Son Goku is mentioned. Given what we know about the original Son Goku when he made an appearance, he may have a point.
- The Nicknamer: He's the one who gave Rias the nickname "Switch Princess".
- Simple Staff: Well, he is using Son Goku's staff after all.
- Villains Out Shopping: Him and Vali encounter Issei out in the night, congratulate him, see Mil-tan who they think is a nekomata, and go eat at a ramen shop.
He is the descendant of the legendary King Arthur and wielder of the strongest piece of Excalibur, as well as Colbrand (Caliburn) the sword in the stone.
- Badass Boast: "By this holy royal sword Colbrand, be it Fenrir's brood or dimensional space, all will be cut!"
- Cool Sword
- Master Swordsman: He's tied with Siegfried as the strongest swordsmen within Chaos Brigade.
- Named Weapons
- Sibling Team: With Le Fay
Le Fay Pendragon
- Fan Girl: Of Issei after witnessing his match with Sairaorg.
- In Name Only: So far, she hasn't back stabbed her brother yet, knowing who she's an Expy of.
- Nice Hat
- Sibling Team: With Arthur
Formerly a creation of Loki, he joins Vali after he gets defeated by the latter.
Golem, a weapon created by the gods but abandoned in the dimensional gap. Later picked up by Vali.
Chaos Brigade (The Old Devils Faction)
One of the devils of the old devil faction who attacked at the peace conference.
- Combat Tentacles: Captures Azazel within one. He just hacks off his arm like it's nothing.
- Femme Fatale
The descendant of the original Asmodeus, he appears in the sixth volume to challenge Azazel, but is killed by Sirzechs.
- Ars Goetia
- We Hardly Knew Ye: The only reason why he even bothered showing up was that we get to see how powerful Sirzechs really is.
The descendant of the original Beelzebub, he appears at the climax of the sixth volume to look at the failures of Diodora, thereby killing him.
He comes back in Volume eleven, all rebuilt but has lost most of his powers.
- Ars Goetia
- Killed Off for Real: Finally dies at the hands of Issei, who unfortunately pulled off a Taking You with Me in return
- Oh Crap: Scared shitless when Issei in Juggernaut Drive was too powerful for him to take on.
- We Can Rebuild Him: And that's what Chaos Brigade did.
- You Have Failed Me: Kills Diodora because of failing to kill Rias' group.
Chaos Brigade Hero Faction
Tropes relating to them:
- Badass Normal: They're humans who could die right off the bat from just about anybody from any mythology. They still kick ass.
- Deal with the Devil: Made a deal with Hades to acquire Samael, the dragon-eater.
- Knight Templar: Them seem to genuinely believe that killing gods and monsters are for a good cause.
- Named AND Descended After Somebody Famous
- Shown Their Work: In-universe at least.
- The Unfettered: Has shown to go absurb lengths to accomplish there goals.
- Unwitting Pawn: Gets suckered by Hades.
- Undying Loyalty: When they're not Brainwashed and Crazy, Cao Cao's willing to let other Sacred Gear human users join him for his cause. They do follow him all the way through to the end as shown by the Mook Issei encountered.
- Weak but Skilled: They're all this, but Cao Cao deserves a special mention because according to Vali, he could be the strongest human being thanks to his True Longinus.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist
- What Measure Is a Mook?: Sends a lot of Mooks towards the Occult Research Club to force them to reach Balance Breaker levels.
Leader of the Hero Faction and a descendant of Cao Cao. He also wields the strongest Longinus, True Longinus.
- Awesomeness By Analysis: He beats his opponents by gathering intel on them and taking advantage of their weakpoints.
- Blade on a Stick
- Combat Pragmatist: Encourages gathering information and fights extremely unfairly. Best examplified during his fight with Vali and Issei's group. He used Samael's poison to take out Vali and attacks the weakest links of the group knowing that Issei would protect them which he did. He in a instant he got rid of the two fighters that actually was a threat to him and weakened the other side immensely.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: He'll study his enemies and perfect his style before even thinking of even attacking his enemies.
- Expy: Other people in his group refer to him as the modern-day Cao Cao.
- Eye Scream: Issei manages to destroy one of Cao Cao's eyes, forcing him to use Medusa's eyes as a replacement.
- Foil: To Issei; both have companions who are willing to join the both of them, but while Issei, a devil, will not sacrifice anybody for his cause and does care for the well-being of other people, Cao Cao, a human, is willing to make sacrifices for his cause.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: He was so Crazy Prepared that he neglected the fact that Samael's poison also works on snakes because of his Medusa eye. Yeah, that same Samael blood that Issei got coated with in his fight against Shalba.
- Magnetic Hero: Despite the fact that he'll employ brainwashing for the humans with Sacred Gears who aren't willing to join his cause, there are also people who are willing to join him because he's accepted them and will die for them.
- Oh Crap: After seeing Rias get summoned instead of Great Red.
- Superpower Lottery: He won it by being the current wielder of the strongest Longinus.
- Worthy Opponent: He praises both Issei and Kiba for being able to at least match him and tells the both of them to get stronger. He also thinks of Vali as such as well because the last time they fought, it was exhilarating.
- Alternate Dimension: Capable of sending people to other dimensions.
- Oh Crap: Taunting Gasper that Issei died in vain wasn't really a good idea.
- Specs of Awesome: Shown in volume 12.
- Superpower Lottery: Dimension Lost is one of the 4 top Longinus for a reason.
One of the top 2 swordsmen of the Chaos Brigade faction (the other is Arthur). His Sacred Gear is "Twice Critical", the same Sacred Gear Reynalle thought that Issei had.
- Dual-Wielding: Triple wielding, all the way to sextuplet wielding.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: He gets killed by Kiba after Gram answered to Kiba instead of him.
- Master Swordsman: Took on both Kiba and Xenovia and won when they fought the first time.
- Oh Crap: When realizing that Rias' breasts are the breasts of miracles if combined with Issei's powers.
- Red Baron: Chaos-edge Sieg.
- This Cannot Be!: When Gram chooses Kiba as its master instead of him.
- We Can Rule Together: Offers Ajuka to fight against Sirzechs since he's the only one who could put up a fight with the latter. His answer? Wipe out all the devils that were present without even standing up.
A human being who inherited the spirit of Joan of Arc and is also the wielder of the Sacred Gear, Blade Blacksmith which is a holy sword version of Kiba's Sword Birth.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Dragons: Her Balance Break allows her to summon a dragon made up of swords.
A human being who also has embodied the spirit of the hero, Hercules.
- I Shall Taunt You: The reason why he and Saji fought in Volume 12.
- Kick Them While Theyre Down: Stomps Sona on the ground when she and her group were trying to defend a bus full of kids.
- Magic Missile: His Balance Breaker, Detonation Mighty Comet, makes him fire magic missiles at his opponents.
- Distressed Dude: Gets captured by a newly rebuilt Shalba Beelzebub.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Gets subjected by this.
- Summon Magic: Annihilation Maker's main purpose is to be able to summon any monster.
- Shout-Out: The monsters he summoned in volume 11 were called Jabberwock and Bandersnatch.
- Superpower Lottery: When you think about it the ability to summon a creature that can kill god is pretty amazing.
- Achilles Heel: The only ones that can kill dragons are dragon-slaying equipment like Issei's Ascalon or Samael the dragon dragon-eater. Issei found that out the hard way.
- One-Gender Race: Dragons are said to have no gender in this story.
- Our Dragons Are Different: The most powerful race in the story are dragons themselves.
Red Welsh Dragon Emperor Ddraig
One of the two heavenly dragons who got sealed thanks to them fighting off the other three factions. He's the dragon who's residing at Issei's left arm and thus has to put up with all of Issei's perverted antics.
- Cassandra Truth: He did hear the voice of the Breast fairy when Issei accidentally summoned it instead of being able to talk to Akeno's breasts with Bilingual. Everyone just thinks Ddraig lost it.
- Cosmic Plaything/Butt Monkey: Doesn't appreciate it when he gets called by both Ophis and Great Red as the Breast Dragon.
- Heroic BSOD: Played for laughs whenever someone mentions Issei as the Breast Dragon.
- Intergenerational Friendship: Consider's Issei to be one of his true friends seeing as his former hosts never really talked much with him.
- Tender Tears: Cried after Issei died.
- The Rival: Him and Albion have been going at it for centuries.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Him and Issei in a nutshell.
White Vanishing Dragon Emperor Albion
One of the two heavenly dragons who got sealed thanks to them fighting off the other three factions. He's the dragon who's residing with Vali.
- Heroic BSOD: Played for Laughs seeing as his main rival is now known as the Breast Dragon, which hurts his pride. Also gets called as the Butt Dragon thanks to Vali revealing his fetish.
- The Rival: Him and Ddraig have been going at it for centuries.
One of the former dragon kings who turned himself into a devil to get a piece of land in the underworld for his fellow dragon-kind to live in. He's also one of Issei's mentors in fighting. One of the few reborn devils to reach Ultimate Class, he is Issei's inspiration. Has been Top 10 in the Rating Game for decades.
- Badass Teacher
- Cool Teacher
- Informed Ability: His dragon breath is equivalent to a comet crashing down on Earth. It's also used as a measuring stick for the Villain of the Week.
- Jaw Drop: Makes an epic one when Issei asks him as to what mythology is the breast god from.
- Large and In Charge
- Red Baron: known as the Blaze Meteor Dragon.
- The Mentor
Prison Dragon Vritra
The evil black dragon who after being vanquished, had his soul split into pieces. One of them is Saji's Sacred Gear.
- Weak but Skilled: Considered as the weakest of the five dragon kings, but has a wide array of skills to make up for it.
Chaos Karma Dragon Tiamat
The only female dragon king out of the five dragon kings in the story. According to Ddraig, she hates him.
- The Smurfette Principle: The only female dragon king.
Gigantic Dragon Fafnir
One of the five dragon kings in the story, he's sealed inside Azazel's artificial Sacred Gear.
Sleeping Dragon Midgardsormr
One of the five dragon kings, he's made by Loki and is currently sleeping at the ocean near Scandinavia. He's also the laziest dragon.
- Always a Bigger Fish: Inverted. This dragon's the biggest fish in this series, even bigger than Great Red. Of course, the latter's a lot more powerful.
- Heavy Sleeper: Sleeps at the bottom of the ocean near Scandanavia.
- Somebody Else's Problem: Doesn't care much for things unless it's time for Ragnarok.
Mischievous Jade Dragon Yu-Long
The youngest of the five dragon kings in the story, he also accompanies the original Son Goku whenever the latter gets sent by Indra to somewhere.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Son Goku
Ouroborous Dragon Ophis
Formerly The strongest dragon of the dragon race and quite possibly the most powerful character in the story. He/she/it first appeared as an old man, and then changed its appearance to a young girl. Ophis' wish is to go to the dimension where Great Red decides and kick him out of there.
- Batman Gambit: When Samael drained her powers, she actually sent out snakes that contained her power just in case, so she didn't really have 75% of her powers drained out of her.
- Cherry Tapping: When Issei wakes up in his spirit form, he sees Ophis tapping the ground. When asked, all she said was "I'm defeating Great Red here." Yes, it's a mix of funny and adorable.
- Comically Serious: "Did you want to become the Breast Dragon instead of the Heavenly-Dragon Ddraig?" which sends Ddraig into his Heroic BSOD.
- Did We Just Have Tea with Cthulhu?: Hangs out at Issei's place in Volume 11.
- Dark Is Not Evil: At least Issei thinks so.
- Gothic Lolita: Its current form since according to Azazel, last time Ophis appeared was in the form of an old man.
- Implacable Man: Gets stabbed by Cao Cao using True-Longinus, and she doesn't even flinch at all.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Issei.
- Legal Jailbait: Her current form. Hell, she has two black tapes that is cross shaped attached to her nipples.
- Mystical Waif
- Nerf: Fans think that she'll be replacing Ddraig that's why she has 75% of her powers drained from her.
- Subverted about the replacing Ddraig part. She's now part of Issei's harem.
- No Sell: Does this to CaoCao and the freaking True Longius
- Only Friend: Considers Issei as its one and only true friend.
- Puppet King: S/he is considered as the overall leader of Chaos Brigade, but the ones below her are the ones who are truly running around the group.
- Really Seven Hundred Years Old: Has been around since the beginning of time.
- Red Baron: The Infinite One
- Redemption Demotion: As soon as she finally joined Issei's group, almost all of her power was drained (most of it swallowed by Samael, and then had to create Issei's body alongside Great Red.
- The Load: Volume 11 is pretty much her not being able to do anything at all and is a burden to the entire group.
- This is actually justified, as losing some of her power, she was unstable. When she attacked the Grim Reapers, she accidently blew up Azazel. Also, she is effectively invincible, so she doesn't really understand the necessity of self-defense.
- The Rival: Big Red
- Worf Effect: For someone to be the Infinite One, it sure loves to be a Distressed Damsel seeing as it got captured by both Samael, and Shalba.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: S/he's capable of shifting from one form to another. As noted by Azazel, form for Ophis is just simply a decoration.
Apocalypse Dragon Great Red
The only one who can rival Ophis and is currently residing in the dimension gap. Ophis' wish is to kick him out there while Vali wishes he could fight him. He also represents dreams.
- Delinquent: How Issei describes him as; a biker gang dude who hates being stared at.
- Disproportionate Retribution: When a monster glared at him, he tells Ddraig that he'll combine with him and wipe out all the huge monsters.
- Dynamic Entry: How he enters the underworld with Issei and Ophis at his back.
- Power Levels: The strongest character of the entire series.
- Title Drop: It's known as "D x D" or Dragon of Dragons.
- The Rival: To Ophis.
- Doting Parents: Surprisingly, to Asia which Issei notes but doesn't seem to care.
- Locked Out of the Loop: While they know that Issei's harem is staying at his house, what they don't know is that their house is occupied by the sister of one of the four lords of hell, a half-fallen angel-half human-turned-devil, a nun-turned-devil, a Catgirl, a former exorcist-turned-devil, a reincarnated angel, a valkyrie-turned-devil and the most powerful dragon. Not to mention, they don't know that their son is also a dragon-devil.
Matsuda and Motohama
Issei's friends at Kuou Academy and is as much perverted as Issei.
- Loveable Sex Maniac: YMMV on the Loveable part though.
- Those Two Guys
- Scary Shiny Glasses: Motohama wears one and uses it to measure a girl's B-W-H.
- With Friends Like These...
- Wrestler in All of Us: Both of them do a combined Brain Buster on Issei when he introduced them to Mil-tan and friends.
Asia's friend and is also Issei's classmate.
- Distaff Counterpart: To Motohama
- Loveable Sex Maniac
- Scary Shiny Glasses: Reveals she has one and can measure a guy's nether region which scares Issei!
- Secret Keeper: Knows Asia has a crush on Issei and is willing to tell him, however Asia always shuts her up.
- The Gadfly: Trolls Issei so badly, it's hilarious.
Issei's first customer who's also an Otaku.
- Intergenerational Friendship: Issei's first friend who's a lot older than him.
- Lolicon: The reason why he wanted Koneko in the first place was so that she can wear a school uniform.
Voiced by: Kenta Miyake (Japanese)
One of Issei's first customers and is cosplaying as a Magical Girl but is also a guy.
- Creepy Crossdresser: Well what do you call someone who's big, well built, and is cosplaying as a magical girl?
Voiced by: Ayako Kawasumi (Japanese)
One of Issei's first customers who first appeared in the Volume Eight side stories (episode 6 in the anime). An exchange student who's an avid fan of Japan back in the old days.
- The Faceless
- Love At First Arrow Shot: Shoots an arrow with a love letter to her future lover who's wearing a Knight in Shining Armor. Needless to say, Issei was not amused.
- Occidental Otaku: Has a lot of samurai stuff in her room.
- She even dresses like one.
A third year student of the Kuou Academy and the captain of the tennis club. She's also a beast master.