|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Hawthorne Heights is a pop-punk group formed in 2001 in Dayton, Ohio. They were originally known as A Day In The Life, but after releasing an album and an EP, they changed their name to Hawthorne Heights.
The current lineup is as follows:
- JT Woodruff - Lead Vocals and rhythm guitar
- Micah Carli - Vocals and lead guitar
- Matt Ridenour- Backing vocals and bass
- Eron Bucciarelli - Drums
There was originally a fifth member, Casey Calvert, who was responsible for the signature Metal Screams in many of their songs, but he died from faultily prescribed medication.
Tropes associated with Hawthorne Heights
- Author Existence Failure: Casey
- Concept Album: "If Only You Were Lonely" tells the story of a young couple forcibly separated by the man's family moving away.
- Literary Allusion Name: Word of God says that the name "Hawthorne Heights" is a reference to author Nathaniel Hawthorne.
- Insult Backfire: The song "Where Can I Stab Myself In The Ears?" got it's name from a listener's negative comment about it.
- Living Emotional Crutch: In "Decembers", the singer describes his time apart from the woman he loves as "a self-inflicted coma."
- Lyrical Dissonance: "Light Sleeper" is a very catchy song...about being afraid of what's waiting for you in your nightmares.
- Metal Scream: It was Casey Calvert's specialty and a noteworthy feature of many of the group's hits. Sadly, he's now doing it in rock 'n' roll heaven.
- Signature Song: "Saying Sorry" from If Only You Were Lonely.
- "Ohio Is For Lovers" is another candidate, and is probably their best known song.