|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Hatenkou Yuugi (which tranlates to "Unprecedented Game") is a manga written by Minari Endou, starting in November 1999, and is still ongoing. There was also a 10 episode anime released during the winter season of 2008.
A young girl named Rahzel is kicked out of her house, by her adoptive father and told to "go out and see the world". Shortly afterwards, Rahzel teams up with the albino Alzeid, who is searching for the person who murdered his father, and the Chivalrous Pervert Baroqueheat. The manga follows their journey as they meet friends, enemies and supernatural entities.
- Accidental Pervert: Rahzel: "I will pay for it with my body!"
- Action Girl: Rahzel.
- Aerith and Bob: On the one hand, we have Alzeid, Rahzel, and Baroqueheat. On the other, we have Vincent, Addy, and Taylor. (Note that all the "Bob"-type names belong to minor characters.)
- Ambiguously Gay: Father Jelice Bryah.
- Lampshaded by Rahzel: "I don't recall coming out of some queer's stomach." (She said that because he was trying to be her father, but given the Baka of a dad she has, he is definitely a huge improvement.)
- An Aesop: The whole point of the Angel Text arc is basically Drugs Are Bad?
- Apologizes a Lot: Larawell and Befyladita.
- Artifact of Doom: Angel Text.
- Artificial Human: There are several.
- Badass Decay: Alzeid, because he never bothers to train. He starts worrying about it later in the manga.
- The author even refers to volume 9 as "Alzeid's parade of incompetence" and mentions how he'll be even more of a loser in future volumes.
- Badass Long Hair / Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Alzeid's brother.
- Possibly Sera too.
- Bait and Switch Credits: Even though it is a manga the artwork for the covers and the artwork for the pages are very different. Characters having outfits they do not wear.
- Bare Your Midriff: Some charcters, sometimes. Notably Baroqueheat.
- Bi the Way: If you interpret Baroqueheat kissing both Rahzel and Alzeid that way.
Baroqueheat: It'd be nice if all the women in the world could be happy. All the men can spit up blood and go to hell. All but me, of course.
- Body Count Competition: Rahzel sometimes has a non-lethal version of this with her traveling partners.
- Breaking the Bonds: The gang are fond of doing this when they get captured.
- Brick Joke: Not really a joke, but remember Vincent from the "Nowhere To Go" story arc? The illegitimate son of the king of Obplay? Volume 11 hints he might make a reappearance.
- Brilliant but Lazy: Shogetsu
- Catgirl: At Rahzel's school's cultural festival, her class puts on a play about kittens and hosts a cat-themed maid/butler cafe.
- Catch Phrase: Rahzel loves telling bad guys that they will be punished.
Rahzel: "For breaking this rule, you will have to be severely punished!"
- Censor Steam: The ghost passes on the reincarnation with her ghost clothes replaced by a steam aura.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Baroqueheat.
- Clothing Damage: Rahzel after some battles, but in a platonic sense!
- Costume Porn: Some the costumes, especially the cover art is absolutely gorgeous.
- Cross-Popping Veins: Rahzel, sometimes.
- Cute Bruiser: Rahzel.
- Cute Monster Girl: The ghost.
- Daddy's Girl: Rahzel.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: Rayborn and his father.
- Also Taylor, the doctor who treated Alzeid in volume six.
- Days of Future Past: It's heavily implied that the story takes place some undefined time in the future, despite the low level of technology (except in Prometheus).
- Does Not Like Men: Rahzel's best friend, Clarissa.
- Dragged Into Drag: In the cultural festival incident mentioned under Catgirl, Fay had to dress as a girl.
- In the author's note for that volume, she comments that Fay is weird to be embarrassed for putting on a skirt and wearing kitten ears, unlike Mariya.
- Driven to Suicide: The doctor in chapter 11. Larawell. Also Rayborn, though he's rescued
- Duel to the Death: Alzeid has one of these against Soresta, neither dies from the duel, however.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Rahzel, sometimes. More often in the cover art than in the story.
- Fan Nickname: Al-chan for Alzeid.
- Fan Service: Rahzel has quite the impressive wardrobe, and Baroqueheat occaisionally wanders around topless.
- Fetish Fuel: Alzeid in a cage.
- Also, Rahzel handcuffed to a shower curtain.
- Flipping the Table: Rahzel, while annoyed by the ghost.
- Sera did it too, when he found out Rahzel shares a hotel room with Baroqueheat and Alzeid.
- First-Name Basis: Alzeid calls Rahzel "Rahzel" sans honorifics (as opposed to stupid chick).
- Foot Focus: There is a closeup on the ghost's feet for no reason, several times.
- For Science!: The entire town of Prometheus.
- Four Is Death: The ghost is in the fourth chapter.
- Fourth Wall Mail Slot: They usually answer one question per volume.
- Functional Magic: A basic premise of the series.
- Gender Blender Name: Kiara is a guy. So is Fay Lisette.
- Genki Girl: Rahzel.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Priest Jelice Bryah flipping someone off. (You do not notice fully which finger it is at first due to the speech bubble.)
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Rahzel, athough it isn't just an angel and a devil...
- G-Rated Drug: Angel Text.
- Gratuitous French: Jelice "Which one of you is truly l'amant de Rahzel?"
- Hammerspace: Rahzel's bear bag can hold a lot more than it should.
- Handsome Lech: Baroqueheat.
- Healing Factor: The healing spell.
- Heroic Albino: Alzeid. Sort of.
- Heroic BSOD: Happens to Rahzel after being tortured by Kiara
- Hey, You: The cause of Rahzel and Alzeid's first fight.
- Ho Yay: There are several Father Jelice Beliyah x Baroqueheat moments; look at Chapter 18 for an example.
- Not to mention Barqueheat and Alzeid.
- And between Spicy and Alzeid.
- Hospital Hottie: Taylor.
- Hot Shojo Dad: Sera, when we finally see his face.
- I Kiss Your Hand: Baroqueheat to Rahzel, minus the submissive part.
- Improbable Weapon User: Rahzel decking a thief (Chapter 1) with a teddy bear.
- Infant Immortality: Averted a few times, though the most significant one is Larawell
- Knife Nut: Rahzel seems to be one. Especially here where she's taking inventory of her supplies.
- MacGyvering: Shogetsu makes a welding torch to open a can of mackerel. Then he learns that both Fay and Rahzel had can openers.
- Magic Poker Equation: Alzeid is surprisingly good at Sera's surname cards, even though he slept through the explanation of the rules, because Baroqueheat told him to think of it like poker.
- Magic Skirt: Rahzel has a full stock of these.
- Multiple Choice Past: Lisette gives a different one of these for his scissors every time they're brought up. Even if only a few seconds have passed.
These are a family heirloom, passed down for generations.
- Mundane Wish: In a side story where they're making wishes on a meteor shower, Rahzel wishes that they can all watch the meteors again next year.
- My Name Is Not Durwood: Rayborn (aka Spicy Diamond).
- Saivah's not too happy either when Alzeid starts calling him Thomas.
- The Nicknamer: Rahzel.
- No Sense of Direction: Rahzel, as Alzeid is all too fond of reminding her.
- Not a Morning Person: Both Alzeid and Rahzel, but especially Alzeid.
- Nun-Too-Holy: Father Jelice Bryah.
- Odd Couple: Alzeid, Baroqueheat and Rahzel.
- Ojou: Li-nya (second type), explains all the power she wields.
- Older Than They Look: Serateed, Kiara, Branowen, Baroqueheat, Alzeid's brother, Enero Carboverde
- One-Winged Angel: The Angel Text was intended to turn people into this.
- Overprotective Dad: Rahzel's adoptive father, perhaps surprisingly.
- Also Jenfoupe, Larawell's father.
- Paper Fan of Doom: Rahzel uses one against the other Alzeid when he bursts into her school (and then ignores her to have a fight with Fay).
- Parental Abandonment: Rahzel's adoptive father
kicks her out-sends her to see the world.
- Rahzel's biological father left her to die. Feeling bad about this he eventually went back to rescue her but she was already gone.
- The Plan: It's heavily hinted that Kiara has one of these going on, we just don't know the details.
- Play-Along Prisoner: All three main characters, but especially Alzeid.
- Real Men Eat Meat: Alzeid.
- Reincarnation Romance: The ghost passes on and says that she will love someone in another life.
- Relax-O-Vision: Twice. First used when Rahzel and Baroqueheat give Rayborn a haircut, and second when Rahzel's Overprotective Dad finds out just how Baroqueheat acts around Rahzel.
- Sacred First Kiss: Baroqueheat steals Rahzel's (and probably Alzeid's) first kiss shortly after meeting them.
- Sadly Mythtaken: Prometheus created humans in the image of the gods?
- Say It with Hearts: Rahzel!
- The ghost too.
- Baroqueheat at times too.
- Father Jelice Bryah as well too.
- Schizo-Tech: Although the science of this world is highly advanced, the main forms of transportation seem to be horse and carriage, trains, and walking.
- Shout-Out: Rahzel and Baroqueheat compared Alzeid to Winnie the Pooh once.
- Sleeves Are for Wimps: Baroqueheat rarely wears sleeves.
- Smoking Is Cool: Most notably, Baroqueheat.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Lina, refers to herself as Li-nya.
- Social Darwinist: Alzeid in his speech about animals (humans included) in this pyramid: Plants< Herbivores< Small Carnivores< Large Carnivores< Star (representing himself).
Alzeid: "All living things exist to be eaten (including humans). Natural selection is the rule of the world.
- Stalker with a Crush: Soresta doesn't seem very stalker-y... at least not until Taylor brings out his Alzeid collection.
- The Stoic: Alzeid.
- Story Arc: Most of the chapters.
- Eternal Love (4-5)
- Angel Text (18-26)
- Ever So Small And Dellicate Lullaby (28-30)
- After The Flowers Bloom (31-33)
- One Cold Winters Day (34-35)
- The Ephemeral Proposition (36-49)
- Surrender or Resist! (76-83)
- Sweet Tooth: Alzeid, again.
- There Was a Door: Played with. Shogetsu uses the door, he just... goes through it. Literally.
- Those Two Yaoi Guys: David and Kaede-san, Minari Endou's first and last Boy's Love couple. (Or so she claims.) She brings them back at random moments after their first appearance in The Ephemeral Proposition.
- Tsundere: Rahzel, Type B aka more dere that tsun!
- Also she can switch between types in only one panel of a change.
- Twelve-Episode Anime: Ten episodes actually.
- Unlimited Wardrobe: Everyone has so many outifts; More than they should given the storyline.
- White-Haired Pretty Boy: Alzeid.
- Would Hit a Girl: subversion, in that Rahzel intercepted the hand and taught him a lesson.
- You Fail Biology Forever: 25C/77F is the perfect body temperature?
- 36-38C/98-100F is the normal range; Hypothermia is anything 35C/95F or below: Mild (32-35C/90-95F), Moderate (28-32C/82-90F), and Severe (below 28C/82F).
- Zettai Ryouiki: Rahzel, whenever she isn't being an Elegant Gothic Lolita. Her grade varies from chapter to chapter.