|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
When Professor Akira Todou steals his lunch box, Yuuhi, a hot-headed but cold-hearted student, unwisely punches him. He assumes Todou is taking him to the police, but instead Todou suspiciously drags him to his house. To Yuuhi's surprise, he demands Yuuhi become his housekeeper and nanny to his son Shouta--a job Yuuhi quickly comes to love. After some drunken fumbling Yuuhi is startled to realize his feelings for Todou, while Todou assumes he's upset and tells him it was an accident. This being the opposite of what Yuuhi wants to hear, he disappears for awhile, ignoring all of Todou's pleas to forget it. Eventually Shouta runs off to Yuuhi's place and Todou seizes the opportunity to sort things out. They get together to Shouta's great delight.
Another obstacle arises with the appearance of Todou's younger brother, Kazuki, who is obnoxious, homophobic, and determined not to leave until Todou agrees to an Arranged Marriage. After both brothers go too far when Kazuki molests Yuuhi, Todou leaves to give Yuuhi space and to confront his father about the marriage--which turns out to be for Kazuki rather than himself. In the meantime Yuuhi, who thinks things are over with Todou, and Kazuki, who thinks Yuuhi is apathetic about it, end up coming to blows. Yuuhi gets knocked out in attempt to protect Shouta when he runs between them, an action which helps change Kazuki's mind about homosexuals. Having rushed to the hospital, Todou responds to Yuuhi's pessimism by proposing and reveals that their separation was in part so he could arrange to get Yuuhi put on his family register. Yuuhi, of course, accepts and they all live Happily Ever After.
Happy Yarou Wedding is Fujisaki Kou's first serial manga, and the beginning of a much larger series that follows those connected to the Todou Group. The series' chronology is: 1) Happy Yarou Wedding, 2) Utsukushiki Kemonotachi, 3) Virgin Love, 4) Toriko Ni Natta Kemono, 5) Junai no Seinen, 6) Kemono Wa Ai De Iyasareru, 7) Playboy Amour, 8) Oboreru Kemono No Koibito, 9) Mens Love, 10) Aikata, and 11) Ueta Aikata. 11 volumes and counting.
Happy Yarou Wedding provides examples of:
- Armoured Closet Gay: Yuuhi suspects that Kazuki's vitriol is just a cover for his Gayngst, especially after he meets Chiharu. He's right.
- Arranged Marriage: Kazuki shows up at the doorstep claiming he's there to drop off marriage candidate portfolios for Akira. When Akira confronts his father about trying to arrange a marriage for him his father replies that he knows better than to try to interfere with his life and that the candidates were actually arranged by Chiharu for Kazuki.
- Big Eater: Shouta. Yuuhi gets quite flustered when Kazuki points out how chubby Shouta is because of his cooking.
- Big Yes: We get several combined with a Happy Dance from Shouta when he thinks Yuuhi's going to become his mama, and again when he learns Yuuhi will move in.
- Cheerful Child: Shouta.
- Children Raise You: Downplayed. Taking care of Shouta definitely spurs on Yuuhi's emotional growth, but Todou's influence, both as a lover and a quasi-father figure, plays an equal role.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Todou from time to time.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Akira is generally a goofy Dirty Old Man with occasional Crazy Jealous Guy moments, but the reason his father gave up interfering with him at all is because he firmly believes Akira would try to either kill or utterly ruin him and his company if he did.
- Dirty Old Man: Yuuhi suspects Todou is going to rape him when he first brings him to his house. His prediction turns out to be wrong, but he's still a Dirty Old Man anyways.
- Digging Yourself Deeper: After a slightly drunken makeout session is suddenly halted by Yuuhi, Todou fears he's made him uncomfortable and lies that he mistook him for his dead wife. Since Yuuhi had stopped because he was shocked to realize he was in love with Todou, this crushes him and he decides to never return. Todou continues to text him with messages like "I have no interest in men" and "sorry for making you feel bad" in attempt to get him to come back, but of course this just makes Yuuhi more miserable.
- Diving Save: Yuuhi happens to hit Kazuki's Berserk Button at the same time as Shouta tries to interfere in their fist fight. Yuuhi ends up diving to protect Shouta and gets a harsh blow to the head for it.
- Gender Misdirection: Todou refers to Chiharu, Kazuki's tutor, as being a "substitute mother" to Kazuki. Yuuhi assumes he's a woman because of this ambiguity, but he ends up being a man.
- Has Two Daddies: Shouta is delighted to have "Yuuhi-mama" become part of the family. Yuuhi is less than keen on the name.
- House Husband: Yuuhi, eventually.
- Imagine Spot: When he first meets Todou, he's so certain he going to being forced into sex that when Shouta shows up and starts asking for omlette rice he starts speculating about "omlette rice play" and whether they're having a threesome (with a 5 year old).
- It's Not Rape If You Enjoyed It: Kazuki is determined that two men can't have a real relationship and considers Yuuhi's reaction to being molested by him as proof. Later in the series it become clear why this is such an issue for him.
- Jerkass: Kazuki is none too nice to Yuuhi. On the flip side he's a good uncle to Shouta which is why Yuuhi tolerates him at all.
- Ladykiller in Love: Former "King of the Night" Akira Todou.
- Last-Name Basis: Yuuhi never makes the switch from Todou to Akira, even when he becomes a part of the family.
- Lazy Husband: Todou, especially in the last chapter. Yuuhi outright states that even Kazuki is more useful than him.
- Making Love in All the Wrong Places: "Making love at all the wrong times" is more apt considering they have an energetic five year old to worry about, but they aren't always good at keeping it in the bedroom either.
- Men Can't Keep House: When he first starts working for Akira, he describes the house as "the tragedy of a single man". Subverted by Yuuhi himself.
- Missing Mom: Like Shouta, Yuuhi grew up without a mother and had a very lonely childhood, hence why he's so determined to be the perfect parent to Shouta.
- Operation: Jealousy: Yuuhi pulls a bit of one when he lies about him dating his best friend.
- Papa Wolf: Yuuhi is very much one. Because his own childhood was so lonely he wants to give Shouta the best childhood he can and is fiercely protective over him.
- Primal Scene: Yuuhi keeps trying to cover these up as "wrestling" but Shouta doesn't entirely buy it.
"Why do you need to take your pants off every time?"
- Really Gets Around: Todou used to. Yuuhi's implied to have a pretty long string of girlfriends as well, who he dated simply because they asked.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Yuuhi, who was considered to be really cold-hearted by his girlfriends but was really just afraid of letting people in. The more time he spends with Todou and Shouta, the more the dere side comes through.
- Taught By Experience: Kazuki thinks he could wipe the floor with Yuuhi, but Yuuhi is quick to point out that he's never been in a real fistfight before. Yuuhi may not be trained in martial arts, but his experience gives him the edge over Kazuki.
- Through His Stomach: Akira steals Yuuhi's bento and then is convinced he must have him as his housekeeper.