|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
One character has just fallen over the edge of a cliff after getting pushed over by the villain. Fortunately, he is able to grab onto the side of the cliff to prevent himself from falling to his death. However, the villain, being the Card-Carrying Villain that he is, attempts to get rid of the hero by stomping on his hands, causing the hero to slowly lose his grip on the cliff that he's hanging on to.
This is a common Villain Trope that can show up in some forms of media.
Fingore is usually implied, if not invoked.
Related to: Kick the Dog
- A more friendly version is featured in one episode of Lupin III; it has Fujiko clinging precariously to the side of a moving train. To get her off, Zenigata smacks her hands with a flyswatter.
Film - Animated
- Near the end of Monsters, Inc., Randall starts stepping on Sulley's hands while he is hanging onto the edge of a door. However, before he can do so, Boo is able to stand up to Randall and save Sulley.
- In The Lion King, Scar claws Mufasa's paws while the latter is hanging from a cliff.
- He also does it to Simba later, but Simba gets the strength to lunge back after the "I killed Mufasa" revelation.
Film - Live-Action
- Happens in Spy Kids 3 when Juni falls off his Mega Race bike and manages to grab Rez's.
Juni: Hey Rez! Gimme a hand!
Rez: How about a foot?
- In the Star Trek reboot, Kirk is hanging off the edge of the Romulan drill, and a Romulan keeps attempting to stomp on his hands. Until Sulu runs the Romulan through with his sword, that is.
- Variation in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: As Indy is desperately holding onto the cannon of the Nazi tank, Colonel Vogel grabs a shovel and starts hitting Indy's hands with it.
- In the sixth The Witcher book Tower of the Swallow, one of the servants of the Big Bad tries to chase Ciri across a frozen lake. The ice breaks and as the man hangs tries to pull himself out... Ciri skates across his fingers.
- In Alcatraz, a variation happened to Rebecca's partner in the backstory. He jumped over to a roof while pursuing a felon and didn't quite make it. He's hanging onto a wire bolted to the roof when the felon runs back and kicks him loose, leading to his death.
- In Shinobido if you're detected while hanging from a ledge the enemies will try to stomp on your hands making you fall.
- In The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Bokoblins can do this to Link if they spot him hanging on a ledge.
- In one Looney Tunes short, Sylvester the cat is hanging on for dear life by his pawtips and Tweety pulls them off the ledge one by one.
This widdwe piddy went to market...this widdow piddy stayed home...this widdow piddy had woast beef...what do you know - no more widdow piddies!
- Tweety also did it to Eddie Valiant in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?.
- In the Pixar Short "For the Birds", a large annoying crane-like bird is hanging by it's claws from a telephone wire, and little blue birds start pecking at them to get him to fall off the wire... not realizing he's holding the wire down like a bowstring and when he lets go they'll all be shot upward.