|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Everybody listen to me! My name is Armando, Alejandro, Essssstrrrrrada! And this is my, Samoan Bulldozer, Umaga!—Monday Night Raw
Someone significant is about to enter the scene. He may or may not be a Large Ham himself, but the character who announces his arrival is, and takes full advantage of that with a suitably over-the-top introduction.
Anime and Manga
- Kenichi's father, of Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple uses this with his shotgun, Sebastian. He presses a button, and the gun starts sliding slowly out of a hidden panel in the wall, while he yells:
Live Action TV
- Monty Python's Flying Circus. An announcer at a nightclub introduces the next act.
Kenny Lust: You know, once in a while it is my pleasure, and my privilege, to welcome here at the Refreshment Room, some of the truly great international artists of our time. And tonight we have one such artist. Ladies and gentlemen, someone whom I've always personally admired, perhaps more deeply, more strongly, more abjectly than ever before. A man, well more than a man, a god, a great god, whose personality is so totally and utterly wonderful my feeble words of welcome sound wretchedly and pathetically inadequate. Someone whose boots I would gladly lick clean until holes wore through my tongue, a man who is so totally and utterly wonderful, that I would rather be sealed in a pit of my own filth, than dare tread on the same stage with him. Ladies and gentlemen, the incomparably superior human being, Harry Fink!
Club worker: He can't come!
Kenny Lust: Never mind. He's not all he's cracked up to be.
- Happens several times in Samurai Sentai Shinkenger, usually in the form of Jii or Ryuunosuke giving a long-winded and boastful description of their Lord Takeru, only for Takeru to cut them off. Happens again when Kaoru receives the same treatment from her retainer, Tanba.
- William's friend Geoffrey in A Knight's Tale. He whips the crowd into a frenzy for the pseudo-knight to do his thing. Chaucer, that's it - Geoffrey Chaucer.
- In Spider Man, the wrestling announcer decides that Peter's stage name isn't cool enough and announces him dramatically as "the amazing SPIDER-MAN"! Naturally, he's played by Bruce Campbell.
- The introduction of a star in All That Jazz.
O'Connor Flood: The word superstar is greatly overused in this business. But for my next guest, the word superstar is totally inadequate. [snip] I feel humbled in his presence. From deep, deep in here, ladies and gentlemen, let me lay on you... A great entertainer. A great humanitarian. And my dearest, dearest friend for 20 years.
- Davy Jones' introduction of the Kraken in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.
- Mad Max: "Greetings from the Humongous! The Lord Humongous! The Warrior of the Wasteland! The Ayatollah of Rock-and-Rollah!"
- In Tron: Legacy, Jarvis's speech introducing Clu to the light cycle arena.
And who best to battle this singular opponent? Perhaps one who has some experience in these matters? Oh yes indeed, programs! Your liberator! Your luminary! Your leader and beacon! The one who vanquished the tyranny of the user those many cycles before...Cllloooooooooooo!
- The Prince Ali number in Aladdin is basically a multi-minute act of hammy heralding.
Prince Ali! Fabulous he! Ali Ababwa
- The bit in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets where everybody starts to think that Harry is the descendant of Salazar Slytherin, so Fred and George start marching in front of Harry and crying out, "Make way for the Heir of Slytherin! Seriously evil wizard coming through!" and stuff like that, in order to mock the notion.
- On Sesame Street, this applies to Norm, herald to the Grand High Triangle Lover.
- One of Ray Stevens's novelty song openings: "And now, ladies and gentlemen, without further ado, it is indeed a great pleasure to introduce to you - held over three weeks and getting rave reviews - BRIDGET....THE MIDGET... the Queen of the Blues! Woooooo!"
- The incredibly hammy Alberto Del Rio gets an even hammier introduction courtesy of his personal ring announcer, Ricardo Rodriguez.
- Let's face it, plenty of ring announcers qualify. Michael Buffer and Lilian Garcia, especially.
- Theodore Long was this for Rodney Mack, Mark Henry, Jazz and Mark Jindrack. The two names in the middle were pretty hammy themselves but in general, the purpose of an announcer in wrestling is to provide ham to one who lacks it.
- Armando, Alehandro, Estrada! The unsung hero(or not) who helped Umaga get over. WWE thought it worked too well and dropped him.
- In "Yankee Doodle Daffy", Daffy Duck plays the agent for a kid duck singer. Daffy plays it up as if the kid were the greatest thing since sliced bread, although he turns out to be not so hot.
He's colossal, stupendous! One might even go so far as to say he's mediocre.
- The kid even holds up a picture of a ham while Daffy is praising him.