|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The Hamish Macbeth Murder Mysteries are a series of detective novels written by M.C. Beaton (Marion Chesney) and set in the fictional Scottish village of Lochdubh. The title character, Hamish Macbeth, is the lazy village constable, who enjoys a quiet life until a murder happens, in which case he has to set about solving it and finding the real culprit before his Sitcom Arch Nemesis, Chief Inspector Blaire, arrests the wrong person.
Serves as the inspiration for a live-action television series which can be found here.
Novels in this series
- Death of a Gossip (1985).
- Death of a Cad (1987).
- Death of an Outsider (1988).
- Death of a Perfect Wife (1989).
- Death of a Hussy (1990).
- Death of a Snob (1992).
- Death of a Prankster (1992).
- Death of a Glutton (1993).
- Death of a Travelling Man (1993).
- Death of a Charming Man (1994).
- Death of a Nag (1995).
- Death of a Macho Man (1996).
- Death of a Dentist (1997).
- Death of a Scriptwriter (1998).
- Death of an Addict (1999).
- A Highland Christmas (1999).
- Death of a Dustman (2001).
- Death of a Celebrity (2002).
- Death of a Village (2003).
- Death of a Poison Pen (2004).
- Death of a Bore (2005).
- Death of a Dreamer (2006).
- Death of a Maid (2007).
- Death of a Gentle Lady (2008).
- Death of a Witch (2009).
- Death of a Valentine (2010).
- Death of a Chimney Sweep (2011).
- Death of a Kingfisher (2012).
Tropes associated with the books.
- Asshole Victim: Just about all the murder victims.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Some of the Asshole Victims.
- Brilliant but Lazy: Hamish
- Christmas Episode: A Highland Christmas
- Glad I Thought of It: Colonel Halburton-Smythe claiming Hamish's idea to turn the castle into a hotel. Also, Blaire taking credit for all the murders that Hamish solves.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Priscilla, to an extent. Two fiancés she's brought home turned out to be criminals. One was the murderer of the novel and the other bankrupted her family. However, she averts this trope in regard to her friendship with Hamish. Her father, on the other hand...
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Death of a [Person who snuffs it].
- Inspector Lestrade: Blaire. Sometimes other inspectors fill a similar role.
- Jerkass: Colonel Halburton-Smythe. Also Blaire.
- Jerk Jock: The victim in Death of a Macho Man.
- The Plan: Hamish pulls one on the murderer in Death Of A Prankster.
- Rebellious Princess: Priscilla, sometimes.
- Redheaded Hero: Hamish.
- Sitcom Arch Nemesis: Blaire
- Smug Snake: Some of the victims, such as is Death Of A Travelling Man.
- We Want Our Jerk Back: For a short time in Death Of A Hussy, a more competent inspector is put in charge of the case. Hamish eventually realises that without Blaire's blustering, he doesn't have as much drive to solve the murder before him.