|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
"Every villain is the hero of their own story."
Originally announced under the name of 'Utopian', Halcyon is a new superhero comic published by Image, premiering in November of 2010.
The premise seems simple: what would superheroes do without crime? Super-team Halcyon is destined to find out - their world has mysteriously become 'nicer' exponentially over the last nine months. Crime is practically at an end. Armed conflict has diminished to the point on non-existence. The 'would be ruler of the world' and Halcyon's primary enemy just turned himself in on television. What happens to them now? Are they out of a job?
The series is co-written by Marc Guggenheim (Amazing Spider-Man) and Tara Butters (Reaper) with art by Ryan Bodenheim (Red Mass for Mars) and Alisa Tager (Serenity).
Halcyon provides examples of:
- Chest Insignia: A notable lack of them.
- Cool Mask: Both versions of Oculus that have appeared are wearing featureless, head encompassing metal masks with eye holes.
- The Cowl: Sabre.
- Deconstructed. Sabre is shown to be boderline psychopathic, which is why he's the one who has the hardest time adjusting to a perfect world.
- Heroic Build: Obviously for the gents - but on Triumph?
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: Enos is a 'cybernetically enhanced space chimp'.
- Flying Brick: Zenith, the World's Greatest Hero.
- Licked by the Dog: Sabre is described as a 'homicidal vigilante' (by one of his teammates no less!), but his dog likes him so he can't be all bad.
- Meaningful Name: Superhero naming convention aside, 'Halcyon' means 'peaceful' or 'calm'.
- The original name of the comic was Utopian, which became the name of a city in the book.
- Mass Super-Empowering Event: Not one but two versions of Oculus describe attempting to use a 'metabomb' in their reality.
Oculus From Reality 2439-Gamma: [It] had the unfortunate and unforeseen effect of increasing the world's population of Super-Powereds by thirteen percent. Halcyon's membership is already up to six-eighty and counting.
- Most Common Superpower: Both of the ladies, natch.
- The Multiverse: All versions of Oculus appear to be able to move through this freely. They even have a safe haven in Reality 4587-Beta.
- Painting the Fourth Wall: Null 'speaks' through what appear to be black narration boxes.
- Playing with Fire: Agni, also a case of a Super God.
- Start of Darkness: The entire story was one for Sabre. It turns out that he's so hell-bent on having someone to fight, he'll even fight a perfect world. Oculus knew this, giving all his resources to Sabre, who has become the new Oculus at the end.
- Super Soldier: Jarhead.
- Super Speed: Transom.
- Sugar Bowl: The whole world seems to be becoming one!
- You Gotta Have Pink Hair: Triumph sports magenta hair down to her mid-back.