|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Back to the Green Lantern character sheet.
Base of Operations: Ysmault
Billions of years ago, the Manhunters went crazy and killed everything in Sector 666--or so they thought. Five beings survived and formed the terrorist cabal known as the Five Inversions. Over time, they founded The Empire of Tears, which was as much fun as its name implies. Eventually the empire fell, and the Five Inversions were crucified on their throneworld. They're the ones who led to Abin Sur crashing on Earth, and seeded the prophecy of the Blackest Night. However, things didn't go as planned; their leader Atrocitus, in his rage, beat the others to death, and used their blood to form the Red Central Power Battery with his Blood Magic and make his own Corps.
A Red Lantern's blood and circulatory system is replaced by the ring's plasma energy, which makes them immune to attempts at heart ripping (such as done by the Black Lanterns), but also leaves them dependent on their rings to live. Their powers are flight, personal forcefields, and ability to spew a corrosive plasma from their mouths that can drain the constructs of Green Lanterns. Atrocitus also designed the rings to incite the wearer into a state of constant rage, though those that either can resist this or have been exempted can create their own constructs as well.
- Anti-Hero/Anti-Villain/Villain Protagonist: Depends on the circumstance.
- Ax Crazy
- The Berserker: ALL OF THEM.
- Blood Magic: Used to forge the battery and the rings, and Atrocitus can also use it to make divinations.
- Bloodier and Gorier
- Bloody Murder: Their main weapon is to puke super hot plasma blood at... well, anyone.
- Breakout Character: The Red Lanterns got their own book in the New 52, and have a major presence in Green Lantern the Animated Series.
- Determinator: Yeah, ripping out their hearts only makes them mad(der).
- Freudian Excuse: You need one to join.
- He Who Fights Monsters: Many were victims seeking Revenge.
- Incendiary Exponent: The red energy burns like napalm, making their force-fields and constructs even more dangerous.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge
- Sociopathic Hero: Well, "hero" is questionable, but Atrocitus does try to steer them towards noble causes.
- Unstoppable Rage
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds
Notable Red Lanterns
Homeworld: Ysmault (originally Ryut)
The leader and only survivor of the Five Inversions (the others died by his hand). The demonic Atrocitus was directly responsible for the death of Abin Sur and, later, Sinestro's turn to evil. His rage is the rage that fuels the entire Red Lantern Corps, for he forged the Red Central Power Battery by his own hand. There is a reason for his anger, however: the murder of his beloved by the Manhunters in the Massacre of Sector 666.
Since Krona (the Guardian responsible for the Manhunter massacre) was slain by Hal Jordan, Atrocitus has been struggling with a purpose for himself and his corps. He is also working to reorganize his corps, selecting Bleez as his second and restoring her intelligence - though he quickly realizes this might have been a huge mistake.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose In Life: With Krona dead, Atrocitus' rage no longer has a target...but it's still there.
- Genius Bruiser: With the possible exception of Sinestro, he's easily the most intelligent of the Corps leaders. To that end, he has manipulated the Guardians, Sinestro, Guy Gardner, the other leaders, and Lobo to fit his schemes, often without the others even being aware. Before the Massacre of Sector 666, Atrocitus was a student of psychology, which may account for his manipulative abilities.
- He Who Fights Monsters: Deliberately used by Atrocitus in recruiting new Red Lanterns, since he believes true rage comes from personal pain (which led to his forming the Five Inversions, as he also lost his family in the Manhunter massacre).
- In Love with Your Carnage: Seeing Mera barbecue her zombie son leaves him in awe.
- Last of His Kind
- Manipulative Bastard
- Mars Needs Women: After fighting side-by-side with Aquaman's wife Mera, many have noted that he is attracted to her. He won't admit it.
- Monster Was A Daddy
- Names to Run Away From Very Fast
- Nigh Invulnerable
- Only Sane Man: He's still an insanely angry berserker, but he can at least communicate.
- Pet The Cat: Literally, he's been seen stroking Dex-Starr and calling him "good kitty." In general, he seems to sympathize with the circumstances that brought his corpsmen to him.
- He also pointed out to The Spectre that The Butcher's host should not be punished for The Butcher's crimes.
- Super Strength: Before he got his ring, he was strong enough to smash through ring constructs and pick up a bulldozer.
From a race of beings with angel-like wings, Bleez was considered one of the most beautiful women in seven systems. Her mother, wanting grandchildren, set her up with countless suitors, annoying her to no end. One day, a Sinestro Corps member arrived, murdered her mother, then took her prisoner on Ranx, the Sentient City. She was repeatedly tortured and gang-raped, and her wings were removed. Her rage attracted a red ring, and she quickly killed the one who kidnapped her. She used her ring energy to create new skeletal wings, and a mask so that her beauty could never be used against her again. She joined the Red Lantern Corps, on a mission of revenge against the entire Sinestro Corps. Her hatred is so great that when Atrocitus kidnapped Sinestro, she tried to kill him right away, ignoring Atrocitus' plan.
Atrocitus has since restored her intelligence, intending her to be her second-in-command. She hasn't exactly been the loyal soldier he'd hoped. She's picked out subordinates of her own: Ratchet, Skallox, and Zilius Zox. She's also part of the New Guardians team.
- Cool Mask
- Fantastic Racism: Havanians mocked those who cannot fly, one reason why her kidnapper tore off her wings.
- Good Wings, Evil Wings
- Rape as Backstory
- Rape as Drama
- The Starscream: Began sowing seeds of discontent among the Red Lantern horde once the ongoing series started, which partially resulted in Atrocitus restoring her intelligence. She's made her ambitions much more apparent since then.
- So Beautiful It's a Curse
- Winged Humanoid
- World's Most Beautiful Woman
Homeworld: Varies (originally Earth)
The Rage Entity--the embodiment of the Red Light, given life and strength from the burning anger of every sentient being. Butcher feeds on hatred and fury the way most lifeforms eat food. Anyone he takes as his host will go on a Roaring Rampage of Revenge. When the anger begins to subside, he'll abandon his current host and seek out a new one to ease his insatiable hunger. The Spectre, spirit of God's wrath, sees The Butcher's existence as a perversion of his own divine mission.
- An Axe to Grind: Butcher's preferred weapon when he takes a humanoid host is an executioner's axe.
- Bull Seeing Red: His true form resembles a bull, but he is red instead of seeing something red.
- The Butcher: He certainly is.
- Demonic Possession
- Emotion Eater
- Evil Counterpart: The Spectre sees him as this.
Originally Dexter, an ordinary cat from Earth. A lonely woman took him in as a pet, and they loved each other very much. His owner was murdered, then two street punks put him in a bag and threw it into a river for their sick amusement. His rage attracted a red ring, which he wears on his tail. He loyally joined the Red Lanterns, battled the freaking Anti-Monitor during Blackest Night, and give Atrocitus a tour of Earth during Brightest Day.
- Animal Superheroes: Supervillain, maybe? Hard to say with this group.
- Badass Adorable
- Badass Boast: "I find one who hurt you. I kill. I good kitty."
- Cats Are Mean: You would be too if you went through what he did.
- Cute Kitten: Invokes this to get close enough to attack.
- Fan Nickname: "Ruffles the Rage-Cat".
- From Nobody to Nightmare
- Right-Hand-Cat: Atrocitus seems to be particularly fond of Dex-Starr, even personally stepping in to rescue him, tending to his wounds, and referring to him as a "good kitty".
- Talking Animal: Thanks to the Translator Microbes in the power rings. One of his greatest regrets is that he couldn't talk to his owner, as her final words to him were: "You make my life better you silly cat, and I know if you could talk, you would tell me the same thing."
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: After all the shit he's been through, you just want to give him a hug. Or at least you would if he wouldn't melt your face off.
Other Red Lanterns
- Rankorr (John Moore)
- From Nobody to Nightmare
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: Mocked for being weird at school.
- Only Sane Man: Tries to resists the ring's attempts to control his mind.
- Police Brutality: The beating of his brother ignited his rage, making him a candidate for the ring.
- Revenge: He kills his grandfather's killer using his new abilities.
- Body Horror: His form was mutilated by the authorities on his home planet, and the Red Lantern ring did the rest.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: This is what most likely leads to him becoming a Red Lantern, as his culture makes it religious heresy to physically interact with each other outside of special environment suits.
- Mook: Was once originally one of these to a crime boss.
- Zilius Zox