|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Well it's just like any other high schoolAre the undead
You've got the same problems in your head
except their lockers are coffins
And the teachers...
This short-lived Hanna-Barbera cartoon premiered in 1990 on NBC, with the full title of Rick Moranis in Gravedale High, featuring teacher Max Schneider (as the title suggests, played by Rick Moranis) as the sole human teacher in an All-Ghouls School, teaching a class of misfit students who, according to the headmistress, otherwise would have been booted out from the school (despite none of them showing any outrageously bad or different behavior, aside being maybe lazy and distracted).
His class includes a greaser vampire, nerdy werewolf, fat mummy, surfer fishboy, valley girl gorgon and other stereotypical teenager versions (and adult, for the teachers) of classic horror movie monsters.
Many of the 13 episodes featured some sort of problem caused by immature or stupid actions of a student and were usually solved by teamwork or some other Aesop-heavy answer, making some of the episodes rather Anvilicious.
This character provides examples of:
- All-Ghouls School
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Duzer is implied to have a crush on Vinnie Stoker, but she vehemently denies this.
- And a Diet Coke: A fat guy orders a lot of snacks with that at a movie theater that Duzer was working at in "The Dress-Up Mess-Up".
- Animals Hate Him: Frankentyke feels the same way, but in one episode, a horse takes a liking to him, but that's because Frankentyke's hair is made of horse hair.
- Beach Episode: "Do The Rad Thing"
- Big Eater: Cleofatra
- Gill, too. Especially if pizza is involved.
- Celeb Crush: Cleofatra has one on werewolf actor Billy Headstone from the soap opera "Trudy and the Beast".
- Celebrity Toons
- Class Trip: Taken almost anytime or anywhere when plot demands.
- Cool Teacher: Max Schneider
- Dean Bitterman: More or less subverted, as Headmistress Crone is still quite lenient and pretty encouraging both to students and teachers.
- Ear Worm: The theme song, and some background music.
- Extreme Omnivore: Gill
- Fantastic Racism: The monsters usually refer to non-monsters as "human dweebs." Though it could just be due to the fact that non-monsters have their own biases towards them.
- Fish Out of Water: Averted as Max has little to no trouble fitting in or teaching.
- Fish People: Gill
- Frankenstein's Monster: Frankentyke and his brother Big Frankie
- Friendly Bad Boy Neighbourhood Vampire: Vinnie.
- Gorgeous Gorgon: Duzer
- Head Desk: In "Monster on Trial", Max Schneider does this when the judge declares him guilty in favor of old lady Fresno, who faked whiplash after Reggie accidentally bumps into her while taking Driver's Ed.
- Hey, It's That Voice!/All-Star Cast: Aside from Moranis, we have (among others):
- Ill Girl: Blanche died in a hospital, which is why she's a zombie.
- Ink Suit Actor: Max is basically Rick, but with red hair.
- Invisibility: Sid
- Jerk Jock: Nardo the gargoyle.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Most of the teenage monsters, but Frankentyke and Duzer both take the cake.
- Lethal Chef: Sal.
- Meganekko: Cleofatra.
- Modesty Bedsheet: Apperantly, Sid is not wearing any pants.
- Monster Mash
- Our Werewolves Are Different: Reggie
- Perky Goth: Vinnie
- Punny Name: Cleofatra the fat mummy girl, Seymour the cyclops, etc...
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Reggie
- Shout-Out: Several, but the one that stands out is a Fly monster kid getting taken by Giant Ants while shouting "Help meeee! Help meeeee!
- Soap Within a Show: "Trudy and the Beast"
- Southern Belle: Blanche
- True Companions
- Unfortunate Names: Cleofatra? Really?
- Valley Girl: Duzer
- Verbal Tic:
- Hey yo, Vinnie has one!
- Frankentyke also has one, man!
- Wacky Homeroom