|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Good Luck Chuck is a 2007 romantic comedy starring Jessica Alba and Dane Cook.
When Charlie Logan was ten years old, he was cursed by a teen goth after he refused to kiss her during Ten Minutes in the Closet. The curse causes any woman Charlie sleeps with to find their soul mate in the next man they meet.
Twenty-some years later, Charlie works as a dentist, and is still cursed. Every woman he's had sex with has broken up with him and immediately married the next man she met. Charlie is invited to the wedding of one of these women, and there he meets Cute Clumsy Girl and Love Interest Cam (Jessica Alba). By a twist of fate, Cam chips her tooth by falling while working in a penguin habitat, and goes to Charlie to get it fixed. He asks her on a date in return, and she agrees.
Afraid Cam will marry another man too, Charlie avoids having sex with her at all costs. Hilarity Ensues
Not to be confused with Good Luck Charlie.
This Work Shows Examples Of The Following Tropes:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Elanor Skepple
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: The only damage Cam seemed to receive from falling on an ice slide is a chipped tooth.
- Blessed with Suck: Who ever Charlie sleeps with will find their true love. Naturally, Charlie himself will never find true love.
- Cursed with Awesome: It does result in him getting tons of babes however.
- Creator Backlash: Jessica Alba doesn't have good things to say about the shoot. (Dane Cook even had to respond)
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Jessica's character, Cam.
- Deconstructive Parody: Arguably. See trope entry.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Refuse to get kissed (and more) in the closet by a Goth and get cursed with never being able to find true love and instead having sex with tons of women. Wait, what?
- Erotic Eating: One of the movie posters has Jessica Alba doing this to an ice-cream cone.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Curiously averted, as despite the title Charlie is never once called "Chuck" in the movie.
- Fan Disservice: See Abhorrent Admirer above. It even has a Gross Up Close-Up of her acne!
- Fanservice Extra: The Sex Montage features a gaggle of nude breasts and butts.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Alison Dilaurentis put a curse on Charlie.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: When Charlie calls the penguin expert and sets up a blind date for Cam,
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Charlie himself, as well as his best friend, Dr. Stuart Klaminsky.
- Karma Houdini: Despite being a complete sexist homophobic and chauvinistic PIG, getting Charlie to whore himself out just because it means lots of rampant, meaningless sex, mocking him for wanting to be in a stable, monogamous relationship, making his friend put his "curse" to the test by having him sleep with the fattest, most unappealing woman he can find to see if the curse works (even though it's been previously established that it really DOES), lying to Charlie about sleeping with said woman and then RUINING Charlie's first attempt to get Cam to eventually marry him, thus getting Cam to break up with him and make HIM look like a creepy stalker, posing as Charlie to have sex with Charlie's patients Stu's only comeuppance is...getting to marry a hot woman with extra breasts. What the HELL?!
- Never Trust a Trailer: The initial TV ads placed all of their emphasis on Jessica Alba's clumsiness. The titular "good luck" curse that drives the movie, where any woman he has sex with meets her "true love" soon after, is never mentioned, making it seem like the movie is all about Jessica Alba being cute and losing clothing rather than Dane Cook doing love scenes, which was probably the right move. They did eventually start running commercials that focused on the curse, though.
- Race For Your Love: The Climax is this.
- Sex Montage
- Sexy Man, Instant Harem: The main character is "cursed" with the ability to have any woman who has sex with him find true love within a few days. The reason the word is in quotation marks is because apparently in this universe, women are so desperate for true love that they'll start throwing themselves at Chuck without abandon based solely on the Internet superstition that they'll find true love afterward. It does have the negative side-effect of sex instantly killing any relationship he's in, however.
- His secretary does note that its on some kind of urban legend site, and hasn't been debunked yet. As the girl who jumped Chuck in the car pointed out, its more of a "what have I got to lose" sort of thing.
- Stargate City
- Ten Minutes in the Closet: One that ended poorly kick-starts the plot.
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: One woman stores a condom in her bra.
- With Friends Like These...: Stu is just the worst friend possible for Charlie...or anyone for that matter.