|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Gojira is a Technical Death Metal band from France. Gojira plays a technical and rhythmic style of heavy metal with precision drumming, unusual rhythm patterns, and start-and-stop riffs. Gojira has also been known to incorporate textured atmospheric elements and instrumental songs into their music, whilst employing progressive and uncommon song structures rather than standard verse, chorus, verse songwriting. The vocal style is varied, ranging from the screamed style often employed in extreme metal, with the death growl style predominantly used in death metal, in addition to clean vocals and higher screams. At times, death metal growls and clean vocals are mixed to create an aggressive but melodic effect. Lyrically, they have a strong environmental theme, centred on man's reckless disregard for nature and its potentially apocalyptic consequences.
- Joe Duplantier (vocals, rhythm guitar)
- Mario Duplantier (drums)
- Christian Andreu (lead guitar)
- Jean-Michel Labadie (bass)
- Terra Incognita (2001)
- The Link (2003)
- From Mars To Sirius (2005)
- The Way of All Flesh (2008)
- L'Enfant Sauvage (2012) (upcoming album; title means 'The Wild Child' in French)
Tropes that apply to Gojira:
- A Good Name for a Rock Band: Originally called "Godzilla", they changed their name to Gojira for legal reasons.
- Genre Busting: While leaning towards tech death, they have been associated with thrash metal, progressive metal and groove metal.
- Death Metal
- Space Whale: From Mars To Sirius is about these, and features one on the cover.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Generally a 9, sometimes an 8 or a 10, though some passages of their songs go noticeably lower.