|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Going the Distance is a 2010 Rom Com starring Drew Barrymore and Justin Long. Erin (Barrymore) and Garrett (Long) start a relationship in New York while she is there for three months, working as an intern for a newspaper. They continue their relationship when she returns home to the West Coast. The movie follows their efforts to keep their relationship alive despite the obstacles.
Not to be confused with the National Lampoon film of the same name.
This film contains examples of:
- As Themselves: The Boxer Rebellion.
- Big Applesauce: The film starts in New York.
- Hot Scoop: Erin.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: When Erin is torn between her dream job and moving to New York to be with Garret, Garrett breaks up with her so she can pursue her career without any regrets.
- Interrupted Intimacy: Many, many times. From Dan DJ'ing Erin and Garrett's first hook-up, to her sister walking in on them having sex on her dinner table... and her husband eating a midnight snack, to them walking in on Erin's sister and brother-in-law dry-humping.
- Left the Background Music On: Played for laughs when Dan DJ's their hook-up.
- Long-Distance Relationship: The basis of the plot.
- Maybe Ever After
- Your Cheating Heart: Averted, it was Dan, not Garrett, who hooked up with the hot girl from Garrett's office.