|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Six God Combination Godmars was a popular anime series aired in 1981 to 1982 in Japan, Hong Kong and Italy. 64 episodes were aired. Other loosely translated names are "Hexademon Symbiote Godmars", "Six God Union Godmars", "Six Gods United As One Being". It was created by none other than Mitsuteru Yokoyama, of Sally the Witch, Giant Robo and Gigantor fame.
In the year 1999, humanity begins to advance beyond the known Solar System. The small planet Gishin, led by the Emperor Zuul, who aims to conquer the galaxy, runs into conflict with Earth. He targets Earth for elimination and to do this, he sends a male baby called Mars to live among humanity. Accompanying the baby is a giant robot named Gaia, which utilizes a new power source strong enough to destroy an entire planet. As planned, Mars is expected to grow up, where he will activate the bomb within Gaia to fulfill the mission of destroying the Earth. However, when Mars arrives on Earth, he is adopted into a Japanese family and given the name Takeru Myoujin. Seventeen years later, Takeru grows up with a love for humanity and refuses to detonate the bomb as ordered by Zuul. However, if Takeru was to die, the bomb within Gaia would explode destroying the earth.
Takeru possesses Psychic Powers, letting him pilot Gaia with his mind. Then, he decides to join the Earth defense forces and becomes a member of the Crasher Squad (an elite space defense force) where he and his friends take a last stand against the Gishin's attack. Oh, and there's also the relationship of Takeru with his brother Marg, which fate would have it, pitted the two against each other in the war.
Unknown to the Gishin, five other robots - Sphinx, Uranus, Titan, Shin and Ra - were created in secrecy alongside Gaia by Takeru's father and sent with Gaia to protect Takeru. Whenever Earth is in danger, Takeru is able to summon the five other robots to combine with Gaia to form the giant robot Godmars.
The series has the following tropes:
- Actually a Doombot: Takeru's first few battles with Emperor Zuul result in the latter being seemingly killed, only to be revealed as a robot clone of the real one.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: What Takeru does at the end of the series. Presumably.
- Becoming the Mask: Having been raised in Earth, Takeru comes to love the planet and its people.
- Big Bad: Emperor Zuul
- Big Frigging Cool Sword: The Mars Flash, which comes from the emblem on God Mars's belt-buckle thing.
- Not to mention it looks like the love child of a chainsaw and a machete, giving it a fairly well justified Absurdly Sharp Blade look.
- Boring Invincible Hero: When Godmars actually did fight, the battles were almost all brutal curbstomps with no sense of real tension because Godmars hardly ever took damage, and when it did said damage was minor.
- Uniquely, Takeru himself was decidedly NOT invincible: the entire series is basically just Zuul directly making him suffer.
- Chest Blaster: God Fire
- Chew Toy: Poor Takeru is a terrific example. In each episode Emperor Zuul sends out assassin after assassin to kill him and he's beaten, burned, frozen, zapped, electrocuted, asphyxiated to within a centimeter of his life, at which point the title robot arrives to save him. In the third and final arc of the 64 episode series, he's even stuck with a psionic device which drains part of his Life Force if he attempts to use his powers. It doesn't get much worse than that. Oh and, he knows that, if he does die, the super-bomb in his guardian robot will blow up the planet. YEOWCH.
- Cool Ship: The Frontier
- Dragon with an Agenda: Wahl
- Earn Your Happy Ending: And how.
- Five-Man Band: The Crasher Squadron
- Gainax Ending
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Fans of Showa-era Kamen Rider will find Emperor Zuul's voice very familiar: it's Goro Naya, the older brother of fellow seiyuu Rokuro Naya, none other than the Great Leader.
- Human Aliens
- Kicked Upstairs: Kenji in the 2nd arc
- Mighty Glacier: Godmars itself: even volcanic magma is shrugged off.
- Mysterious Protector: The Rose Knight
- Physical God: Emperor Zuul. The only person to top him would soon come in Super Robot Wars Z.
- And now that Godmars is slated to appear in Z2...
- Spell My Name with an "S": Emperor Zuul/Zul/Zule/Zure, depending on the source. Rose/Rosee and Cosmo Crasher/Crusher aren't as bad in comparison.
- Spider Sense: Due to his Psychic Powers, Takeru can detect incoming danger and identify any assassins disguised as humans.
- Super Robot
- Super Robot Wars: Appears in 64 and D. Ends up a Fix Fic for one of the below tropes.
- Set for a return in Super Robot Wars Z 2.
- Victorious Childhood Friend: Marg and his girlfriend Rose. They end up Together in Death, but you can save their lives in Super Robot Wars D
- There's also Marg's first love Lulu, from the OVA who was also a childhood friend. Sadly, he wasn't able to save her.