|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
"Oh, good lord, we thank thee for what thou hast spread before us, no matter how little these poor morsels be."—The Forester's Wife, The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship
A character who is possibly a Big Eater will most often come across a large amount of food at a buffet or maybe even a restaurant. What does he do? He will immediately dig into the food that lies in front of him. What follows after that is a montage showing the character stuffing himself with food.
This is a type of montage where a gluttonous character will engorge on a mass variety of food through a series of stills and vignettes.
- There was an extended scene in the Bleach anime where Yoruichi was eating to recover from Ulqiorra and Yammy's attacks.
- Templeton did this in both film versions of Charlotte's Web.
- This also shows up in Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory.
- In Asterix and the Chieftan's Shield, Chief Vitastatistix has liver problems, so Getafix sends him to a health spa to lose weight. Since the trip takes several days, we get a Gluttony Montage of him stuffing himself at every inn on the way, while making justifying comments like "Everyone knows cheese is an aid to digestion". By the time they arrive, he's in such pain Obelix has to carry him.
- A stop-motion animation adaptation of the Russian folktale The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship provides the quote above, just before the Forester's Wife eats everything at the table.
- Squidward became involved in one of these with Krabby Patties in the SpongeBob SquarePants episode "Just One Bite".
- Garfield also had one of these in a Dream Sequence in the Garfield and Friends episode "Nighty Nightmare", as well as in other episodes including "Fit For A King" and "Forget Me Not".
- Likewise, this also happened to Numbuh Two in Codename: Kids Next Door in two episodes, "Operation: N.O.-P.O.W.U.H." and "Operation: F.O.O.D.F.I.T.E."
- In Disney's first Winnie the Pooh short, the book turns page after page of Pooh stuffing himself.
- Shaggy and Scooby Doo also had these in numerous episodes in most incarnations, due to their Big Eater status.