|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
"Change X-1! Let's go!"
Full title: 70's Robot Anime Geppy X. As the title suggests, Geppy X is an affectionate parody of the Super Robot shows of old in the form of a Japanese 2D shooter for the Playstation spread across a whoppping four discs. It revolves around the battle of the titular Getter Robo-style mecha, piloted by The Hero Kei, The Lancer Jin, and The Big Guy Riki, and their Super Robot allies against the invading forces of the Space Devil Empire and their legions of Space Beasts. The entire game is set up like an actual anime, complete with an open theme before each level, anime-style cutscenes and stock footage, and fake commercials between mission halves. During gameplay, the Geppy X can tranform into one of the robot's three forms, air-based X-1, sea-based X-2, and ground-based X-3, each with a chargeable primary and secondary weapon and ultimate attack.
Compare Gekiganger 3.
This game contains examples of:
- Big Bad: Mao/Lord of Darkness Devin
- Blow You Away: Several of X-3/X-Tornado's attacks, such as X Typhoon
- Calling Your Attacks
- Captain Ersatz: The Geppy X is Getter Robo; the whole three vehicles combine three different way to form three different robots theme in particular.
- Char Clone: Jyag. A handsome blond masked man, another leader in Devin's army. At first, he simply watch and smirk at Hisser's failure at defeating Geppy X. When he actually take action, his plan force one of Geppy X pilots to make Heroic Sacrifice.
- Chest Blaster: X-1/X-Fire's X/Fire Beam.
- Eyecatch: After you defeat Mid Boss, you get this, complete with commercial ads.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Any one of the original three pilots, depending on what route is chosen; the Mauve Shirt team towards the end; the entire Geppy team in one ending.
- Hot-Blooded: What Getter Robo homage would this be without it?
- Humongous Mecha
- Super Robot Genre
- Epic Flail: X-Tornado's X Hammer
- Meaningful Name: Dr. Kureishi, Mad Scientist who built Geppy X. When written in katakana, it's same as crazy.
- Mid-Season Upgrade: The Geppy X is replaced with Geppy XX. X-1 becomes X-Fire; X-2, X-Thunder; and X-3, X-Tornado.
- Motorcycle on the Coast Road: The "episode" endings.
- Shock and Awe: Several of X-2/X-Thunder's attacks
- Shout-Out: Many to other mecha series, Captain Ersatz aside...
- X-2's Screw Attack to Combattler V's Chodenji Spin
- Several enemy mooks resemble legless hovering Zeon Mobile Suits, paricularly Zakus, Goufs, Doms, and Gelgoogs. The first and last types even have a faster red version.
- Although Atlanger resemble Grendizer, it first appear from giant stone face.
- One of the bosses appear to be one to Gaiking, a humanoid mech with a giant face as the torso.
- The Americanized bonus stage, Star Geppys, may be a shout out to Starvengers.