|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
The Geography Club is a novel by Brent Hartinger about a group of teenagers who start a Gay-Straight Alliance at their high school. Fearing backlash, they call it the Geography Club, in the hope that no one will join a club so boring. Hilarity Ensues.
There a two sequels, Split Screen and The Order of the Poison Oak.
This book provides and example of:
- Accidental Truth: Someone starts a rumor that Russell is gay.
- The Beard: Russell gets a girlfriend, though only because his friend blackmailed him into it.
- Driven to Suicide: Ike, though he recovered
- Eating Lunch Alone: Brian Bund
- Gay Bravado: The first chapter in the locker room. Hilarious in Hindsight, as both characters were in fact gay.
- Gayngst naturally, but not overpoweringly so
- Have I Mentioned I Am Bi Min.
- I Am One of Those, Too: "Is this the Geography Club?"
- Lesbian Jock: Terese
- No Bisexuals: Averted with Min, and she won't let you forget it.
- Straight Gay: Kevin
- Token Lesbian: Terese. Min might also be considered a token bisexual.
- Transparent Closet: "Come on, Russell. Animated Disney musicals?"