|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Set in the future, Gengame is an interactive webcomic about the adventures of a group of friends playing a competitive online videogame and the unexpected complications that arise from doing so. Gengame is short for "Generic game," which is only somewhat fitting. The game, which is the main setting of the strip, is a mishmash of genres on nearly every level, and pretty much anything goes. This is partially the result of the comic running off of fan input (to the point that even casual fan conversations will typically be considered canon) and partially the result of incredibly solid plotting. The comic sometimes gets rather silly.
The comic started out on the Giant in the Playground forums, but has since moved to its own website. Drawn by this guy, the original writer has long since left, with a new one taking his place about halfway through.
- Abnormal Ammo: Gren-ade Gencola.
- Action Bar: The spy's Genre Grid.
- Behind the Black: The characters having to contend with "Offscreen blindness" is a running joke in the comic, though since it is a video game, this may also be a reference to camera screw.
- Everythings Funkier With Disco: A very minor villain is Lord Funkmaster the Funky, Seventh and Boogiest of the Guardians of Drawbridge Bane, with whom one of the heroes has to have a disco battle.
- Diegetic Interface: Swordmaiden's Calibrating Claymore.
- Genre Savvy: Blue Hat, one of the main characters, plays the spy class, which basically runs off of this.
- Mega Corp: From various inferences and references, one gets the idea that Gencorp, creator of Gengame, seems to own and manufacture just about everything.
- Obfuscated Interface: Don't play a Dreamstealer. Or any of a huge list of classes, made over complicated. Almost everything is over complicated.
- Power-Up Food: Gencola, in all it's array of flavors.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: [There is no censor|Enjoy Gencola!]
- Also happens frequently In Comic, as certain characters refuse to see certain things certain ways.