|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
I'm in love with a heroHis big, bold heart is mine!
I'm in love with the one who will always win
He's a prominent figure
In the gay comic geeky world I'm in
I know I'm safe from the villain's plan
In the arms of my mutant muscle man
He's always there in the nick of time
—opening theme song
Paul Staffelbach is the Gay Comic Geek, a self-described dork who loves comic books, Transformers, collectable figurines, sci-fi and fantasy movies, Anime, American cartoons, and anything else that could be considered geeky. He also just so happens to be gay
As the Gay Comic Geek, Paul reviews things associated with geek subculture, giving his overall opinion and providing his own unique gay perspective. Not everything he reviews deals with gay subject matter, though he does bring up gay films, novels, and TV series frequently, as well as gay-themed adult comics. Since his debut in 2008, he has gained a steady rise in popularity on YouTube with his primary channel found here and a secondary channel titled Gay Geeky Vlogs here. The Gay Geeky Vlogs channel was started as a means of bringing to light things that Paul has an interest in but don't directly involve comic books, as well as talk about things going on in his life.
A unique thing concerning the Gay Comic Geek is that his reviews are largely unscripted, and do not involve him portraying a fictional character. Paul has said during interviews that he considered making his videos this way, but ultimately decided against it, wanting to gain merit by being himself. Because of his rise in popularity, Paul has been interviewed several times and now works alongside four other gay YouTube channel owners in a group project called A Gay Colab, found here.
The Gay Comic Geek also has a website here WARNING: NSFW!
The Gay Comic Geek provides examples of:
- Adorkable: A big part of his appeal comes from this.
- Keet: Another big part of his appear. On top of this, he's also a morning person.
- No Bisexuals: Averted. Paul has stated that he believes in love and that attraction to a certain gender is less important to him than whether a person is happy.
- After stating this in a reply to another commenter, Paul received an e-mail flame bashing him, which resulted in him making a whole other video for the purpose of delivering a Crowning Moment of Awesome.
- Noodle Incident: The Brazil Incident. The details are sketchy, but one of Paul's friends can no longer enter International Waters, and an arrest warrant from Brazil keeps coming in the mail. He's still a little upset about it.
- Not a Morning Person: Averted. Paul describes himself as quite cheery in the mornings, much to the chagrin of others.
- Straight Gay: A number of the Gay Comic Geek's YouTube subscribers have made insinuations about his true orientation, and even gone so far as to accuse him of pretending to be gay for attention. This culminated in not one, but TWO, videos declaring his sexual preferences once at for all.