|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for here:
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Fan Fics, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be Zapped. Nobody would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be.
Authors, and Websites
- Recommended by kchishol
- An organized Virtual Season fan continuation of the franchise that not only includes the main series, but also delves into the various Spin-Off series Greg Weisman wanted to produce as well - though he had NOTHING to do with this Saga.
- Recommended by Jen 176
- Voted the Most Influential Person in Gargoyles fanfiction. Well thought out plots, in characterization of canon characters (as well as expanding on them), well rounded original characters, and just plain well written. This troper could list a lot of examples to hold these claims, that they would be giving away a lot of the plots to the fics.
- Recommended by Gargfan
- Merlin Missy is a brilliant writer and truly brings the characters to life. Be sure to read her seven part saga Consequences starting with Fortune and Men's Eyes. And speaking of crossovers...be sure to read All through the Night. it crosses Gargoyles with several shows, including The X-Files, Batman: The Animated Series, and Beauty and The Beast (TV show).
- Recommended by Kchishol
- A rich series of romantic and action fanfics about the Xanatos' new nanny who has a special secret that gives her a powerful link to the Manhattan Clan. The series was written a decade ago, so some old assumptions like Lex being straight stand.
- Original reccomendation unknown, seconded by BB Rain
- Anything by Vathara, especially the crossover Urban Legends Universe.
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4890669/1/Symphony_of_Angels by Silver Spider
- Recommended by CMR Rosa
- Synosis: Demona does not betray Macbeth in 1057 A.D., but things go south anyway. How does this change the journeys of the two immortals through the centuries?
Rhapsody, by Greg Bishansky
- Recommended by Demona Fan X
- Synosis: In the year 2056, the United Nations debates the fate of the gargoyle species. Meanwhile, Demona reclaims the regenerated Praying Gargoyle. Tonight is the Hunter's Moon, and regardless of the outcome, the clan's lives will be forever changed.
- Comments: Written by an author who, obviously, spent a lot of time studying both the canon and Greg Weisman's plans, Bishansky's story manages to keep everyone in character while taking place decades in the future. You can see this as a natural bridge between Gargoyles and the unmade Gargoyles: 2198 spin-off. Also, Demona manages to be the well rounded villain she is in the series, no Draco in Leather Pants or cackling Card-Carrying Villain here.
More Things in Heaven and Earth, by Constance Cochran (crossover)
- Recommended by Mark Lungo
- Synopsis: The Gargoyles meet The Real Ghostbusters when both groups are threatened by the spirit of Hakon, the evil Viking.
- Comments: While several fanfics have crossed over these two particular series, Cochran's story is easily the best of the lot. Everyone's in character, every member of the large cast gets a moment in the limelight, and most of the minor changes Cochran makes to the existing series are actually improvements, particularly making Janine a full-time Ghostbuster. If only all Crossover fics could be this good...
- Recommended by Ryan Lohner
- Synopsis: Demona reveals herself to Goliath immediately after the massacre at Castle Wyvern, which results in her being turned to permanent stone while Goliath is left awake to become an immortal.
- Comments: An intriguing AU premise and very movingly written, but the story goes beyond the typical AU setup by also including the canon universe, allowing the two to interact in ways yet to be seen.
- recommended by dbz77
- Synopsis: Origin story of Richard S. Wagner. An Illuminati assassin comes face-to-face with a horror so overwhelming that it forces him to question everything he believes in. Rated "M" for themes of the Holocaust. Complete.
- Comments: Interesting premise about a gargoyle who was surgically altered to look human.
False Future by The Sylver Lining
- Recommended by cygnavamp
- Synopsis: What happens when Lexington overhears a conversation between Goliath and Elisa concerning the events of "Future Tense"?
- Comments: For those who ever wondered how Lex would react to learning about what Goliath saw in the Puck's illusion/prophesy. Hint: not well. Ends with a massive CMOH.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
- recommended by Kereea
- Synopsis: Exactly What It Says on the Tin. A Puck OC romance and so much more
- Pairings: Puck/OC, Xanatos/Fox
- Comments: Really good. The OC isn't a Mary-Sue (at least by the standards of Gargoyles characters) and the characterizations of Owen/Puck are awesome. We get so see how Puck thinks when he's Owen (which he is for ninety percent of the fic), Fox and Xanatos' marriage, and a bunch of fun with King Arthur. While it doesn't end on a cliffhanger, it feels like there should be a sequel (5 years later, there isn't).
Under the Same Sky by ike1440
- recommended by Gargoylesfan
- Synopsis: A Lexington romance fanfic.
- Pairings: Lexington/OC
- Comments: I rarely see anyone dedicate a romance to Lexington. All I ever see are Brooklyn romance fanfics. It's actually pretty good, despite the OC being female. Either the author is unaware that Lexington is supposed to be homosexual or they completely disregard it. Either way, the OC's personality is different for a Gargoyles storyline. Although her negativity and jaded attitude make her seem standard at first, I found that her character goes deeper than that on more subtle levels (possibly less subtle as the story progresses). It's well done, even though the story isn't far in (three chapters).