|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Another World Characters
The main protagonist of the drama. A slacker of a college student, Arata has no interest in looking ahead to his future. Given a Future Diary by his friend Rui Moriguchi, Arata finds himself in a future he does not want, accompanied by his own stalker Yuno Furusaki.
- Badass: Compared to Yuki, Arata is a courageous person, willing to take on Yousuke to protect Yuno.
- Brilliant but Lazy
- Comes Great Responsibility: Shortly after Arata gets his Future Diary, he spends a night gambling and partying with friends following his diary's predictions.
- Expy: Of Yuki, although there's little to compare between the two other than being stalked by Yuno.
- Extreme Doormat: At first, but his desire to stop the game puts away with this trope.
- Genre Savvy: Everything Yuki did wrong, he seems to do right. When he is chained to a bed by Yuno, Arata escapes by tricking Yuno into freeing him, chains her to the bed, takes her diary and blocks her escape route with a wardrobe. And that still does not stop her.
- The Hero
- Knight in Shining Armor: Despite his objectivity, he is a very kind and caring person, refusing to kill anyone (unless having no other choice).
- Lazy Bum
- Necessary Evil: He is forced to break Megumi's diary to save Yuno.
- Ordinary College Student
- The Slacker
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: Unless he has no other option.
- He is forced to break Megumi's diary to save Yuno, and then Haruna's, although the latter asks him to.
Arata's personal stalker and love interest. Yuno is devoted to Arata and has Yandere qualities to her, but maintains a more subtle sense of madness to her. She refers to Arata as "A-kun", her diary able predicting everything Arata does or even feels. Like the original Yuno, she is implied to have had a troubled childhood and may have one or two secrets hidden in her house.
- Abusive Parents: Her mother is implied to have locked her in a closet countless times. Both of her parents are dead by the time the series starts.
- Action Girlfriend
- Always Save The Guy: Subverted, Arata has saved Yuno from death several times.
- Ax Crazy: Not as much as her manga counterpart, but it is still there.
- Broken Bird
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Seems to have hostility towards Rui and Haruna.
- Expy: Of Yuno, minus the pink hair and seemingly being a bit more controlled and understanding.
- Girl with Psycho Weapon: Only used a knife on occasion, but tried to use a broken jar to kill Megumi.
- Go Through Me: To protect Arata.
- Lack of Empathy: Subverted, as she actually sympathises with both Yousuke and Kinjiro.
- Room Full of Crazy: Two rooms in her house. The closet where she was trapped by her mother, and the basement where someone is trapped behind a metal door.
- Revealed to be a secondary Yuno who seems more crazier than the first.
- Stalker with a Crush
- Undying Loyalty: To Arata.
- Yandere: Just like her manga/anime counterpart.
Arata's college friend. He gives Arata, Yuno, Kinjiro and Megumi their Future Diaries in order to find his kidnapped sister Haruna. To atone, he helps Arata and Kinjiro in the survival game.
- Amateur Sleuth
- The Atoner: After giving his friends Future Diaries and forced to watch them fight for their lives, he decides to help end the game and confront Deus.
- Brother-Sister Team: With Haruna.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: In a rather unexpected move, Rui is abruptly killed off in Episode 6 when he takes a taser attack for Arata from his own sister, falls off a bridge and dies.
- Expy: Of Akise. His role as distributor of the diaries is taken from Muru Muru.
- Muggle Best Friend
- Necessary Evil: Had to put his friends in the survival game to save Haruna.
Rui's sister. She is an ill girl and hospitalised repeatedly. Like Rui, she feels guilty for playing a part in setting up the survival game and aids Arata. She is later revealed to be a diary owner.
- Anguished Declaration of Love
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: She is revealed to have been the one responsible for imprisoning Arata and Megumi in Episode 2.
- Brother-Sister Team: With Rui.
- Canon Foreigner
- Damsel in Distress: Kidnapped by Yousuke in order for the survival game to begin.
- Driven to Suicide: Subverted. Haruna is crushed under rubble and asks Arata to break her diary.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy
- Ill Girl
- The Quiet One
- Ship Tease: It is implied she has a crush on Arata.
A 33-year old police officer who receives a Future Diary from Rui. Becoming an ally to Rui and Arata, Kinjiro uses his diary's ability to predict crimes to identify the other diary owners. He acts quite laidback and detached, but is quite smart and resourceful.
- Deathbed Confession: In the romantic sense.
- Dogged Nice Guy: He's head over heels for Rinko Uehara.
- Expy: A cross between Kurusu (who seems to have his own counterpart in the series) and Nishijima.
- Face Heel Turn: Forced to by Kibe to save his lover, although it turns out to be a trap so Kibe can escape a Dead End.
- Fair Cop
- Friend on the Force: He and Rui are actually related.
- Go Out with a Smile
- Killed Off for Real
- Knight in Shining Armour: Treats Rinko with the upmost courtesy and care, personally visiting her in hospital even when she does not recognise him.
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- The Slacker: His fellow police officers think he is slacking off, but it turns out he is often just off investigating other crimes.
- Smoking Is Cool
A woman of Kinjiro's age who first appears in hospital, but is later kidnapped by Tohru Kibe. She met Kinjiro six months prior to the survival game, unsure of her dreams and was abused by her husband. After her husband dies by her hand, Rinko ends up in hospital with Laser-Guided Amnesia.
- Damsel in Distress: Kidnapped by Tohru Kibe.
- Ill Girl
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: When her abusive husband tried to commit a double suicide with her, she refused and pushed him off a balcony to his death, realising the enormity of what she had done and gained amnesia.
- Turns out to be Plausible Deniability. Rinko was just hiding her fears and guilt through her fake amnesia.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Kinjiro.
Also known as "Southpaw", Yousuke Okuda is a Serial Killer who has a Future Diary. He targets anyone who possesses one of the limited release cell phones, eventually attacking Arata and Yuno. He is very tactical, his diary giving him numerous strategies to kill his targets. However, he is shown to be a troubled man, caring for a comatose mother.
- Abusive Parents: His ill, comatose mother treated him like garbage and is very strict and demanding. But, Yousuke is devoted to her.
- Crazy Prepared: His diary has countless strategies on how to catch and kill his victims. However, each strategy has a probability factor for success and the highest is 85%.
- Driven to Suicide
- Expy: Of Takao Hiyama, but actually gets development. Some of his tactical methods reflect those of Reisuke.
- In the Hood
- Malevolent Masked Man
- The Messiah: Believed he was this when Deus asked him to help him. Turned out he was an Unwitting Pawn.
- Momma's Boy: Even though she treated him poorly.
- Serial Killer
- The Southpaw: Hence, the nickname.
- Villainous Breakdown: After learning Deus merely used him to start the survival game, and finding he has an inescapable Dead End, Yousuke has one hell of a breakdown.
- Weapon of Choice: An ice pick.
A 17-year old high school student who studied under Rui, and was given a Future Diary by him. Living a reasonably unfair life, Megumi is at the end of her rope and considers playing the game or not. But unforeseen events end up making the choice for her. Megumi is a skilled archer, and lives with her mother and step-father who are expecting a baby.
- Angry Tears: After Arata destroys her diary, realising he betrayed her trust even though she provoked him.
- The Archer: Shown to have a natural talent.
- Broken Bird: Tired of her parents' negligence and being betrayed by everyone, Megumi can take no more.
- Damsel in Distress
- Driven to Villainy
- Expy: Of Tsubaki Kasugano.
- I Don't Want to Die: Her motive to survive.
- Killed Off for Real
- Ordinary High School Student
- Parental Neglect: Her mother scolds her all the time, her step-father seems well-meaning but Megumi refuses to call him "Dad", and they both have a child coming, likely meaning Megumi will be neglected even more so.
- The Power of Trust: Megumi has tried to revitalise her trust in others, but after saving a girl who ended up bullying her, she has given up all hope.
Arata's father who helped develop the Future Diaries. He works for the Chronus Seed Corporation in the development department. He abruptly divorces his wife, but his reasons are later revealed.
- Badass Normal
- Disappeared Dad
- Heroic Sacrifice: Takes a fatal stabbing for Arata and is the first diary owner to die.
- Killed Off for Real
- Papa Wolf
- Passing the Torch: Gives it to his son shortly after divorcing his wife, telling him to embrace his future.
- Sacrificial Lion
- Video Wills: Initially, Kurou's message to Arata was to explain why he divorced his mother, but it turns into this when he receives his Dead End at the end of the recording.
The CEO of Chronus Seed Corporation which developed the Future Diaries. His goals are ambiguous but it seems he wishes to make a better future.
- Affably Evil: He believes the deaths of the diary owners are worthy sacrifices to make the future better.
- A God I Am: Averted. Kinjiro believes he is Deus, but it turns out he is a diary owner and hates Deus.
- Big Brother Is Watching: His diary works the same as John Balks'.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive
- Expy: Of John Balks.
- Killed Off for Real
- Scary Shiny Glasses
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Pulls this on both Yousuke and Kinjiro.
An alternate version of Deus Ex Machina, this Deus initiated the survival game with the winner getting a better future.
- Jerkass: Comes across as this regarding his players. Even Kibe hates him.
- Physical God
- You Don't Look Like You: Deus appears as a purple, sun-shaped, smiling emoticon.
Back to Mirai Nikki.