|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
This short story takes place "a little while" before the Priestess of Byakko, Suzuno Osugi, arrives to the country of Sairou to start her adventures. There's a village named Nado, where a man named Tohotei and his family make a living handling a tavern; the youngest and only illegitimate daughter of the family, a little girl named Reipin, helps them with the business despite their horrible abuse of her. One day a Mage Knight named Nirusha, a man who is hunting tigers for his own personal reasons, comes into the village, and his and Reipin's paths cross and change their lives forever...
The following tropes can be found in Fushigi Yuugi: Byakko Senki
- Abusive Parents : Reipin is neglected by her father and physically, mentally abused by her Wicked Stepmother and her cruel stepsiblings: they beat her, refuse to feed her, force her to work nonstop, etc. In her first talk with Nirusha, she also implies that her stepbrother molests her.
- Animal Motifs: Tigers are the general motif of the Sairou lands, and this is no exception.
- Asshole Victim: Reipin's family. First, her abusive stepbrother ends up cursed into a tiger and killed. And later, when Reipin snaps and reverts to her tiger form, she first kills her Wicked Stepmother and then all of her relatives, before destroying the whole Nado village. Couldn't have happened to nicer people!
- Cute Bruiser: Reipin is able to fight off tigers and is also a crack shot with her bow and arrows.
- Fallen Hero: Yes, Miboshi was once a kind man. And judging from his inner thoughts in the story, his kindness was for real.
- The Reveal: Two of these. First, that Reipin's mother was a tiger woman... coming right after Reipin shoots her dead in her tiger form. Second, that Nirusha is none other than a younger Miboshi from the original series.