|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
In an attempt to crack down on crime, the Police Department has created an elite new team, a team that speaks the language of the streets. Young, hip, in touch with the Now Generation...Funky Squad.
Funky Squad was a hit show set in The Seventies. What? You mean you missed it? Completely? Well, here's the deal...
In reality, it was an Australian comedy series created in 1995 as a parody of shows like The Mod Squad where the cops hire a group (in this case, four) of hip undercover cops. Who, in this case, are all wearing bad wigs and hopelessly 1970s fashions.
The characters were:
- Joey Alvarez (Santo Cilauro) as "Stix", the cool one of the bunch. Wears a Funny Afro.
- Blair Steele (Tim Ferguson) as "Grant", the leader.
- Verity Svenson-Hart (Jane Kennedy) as "Cassie", a typical 70's feminist
- and Harvey Zdalka, Jr (Tom Gleisner) as "Poncho", who was mute as he'd "taken a bullet to the tongue" (the joke was that the "actor" spoke little English)
The show contained examples of:
- Affectionate Parody
- Angels Pose: Done in the title sequence.
- Bad Bad Acting: Most notably with the 'spontaneous' laughter in the "Everybody Laughs" Ending.
- Cardboard Boxes: Seen in every chase sequence.
- Catch Phrase: "You wouldn't say much either if you'd caught a bullet in the tongue!" is said in every episode.
- Plus Da Chief's final words as he handed the Squad their assignment each week: "Oh, and Funky Squad?... Be careful."
- Da Chief
- External Combustion
- Gentleman Thief: The Cat, who leaves a paw print Calling Card at every crime scene.
- Obfuscating Disability: "Diamonds Are A cat's Best Friend"
- Oh, Cisco / "Everybody Laughs" Ending: Happens every episode.
- The Other Darrin: Rob Sitch played Grant in the radio serial, but Tim Ferguson played him in the tv series.
- Put Down Your Gun and Step Away
- Totally Radical