|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Full Frontal Nerdity is a weekly webcomic by Aaron Williams (also the creator of Nodwick and PS238). It focuses on the roleplaying sessions of four tabletop gaming friends, all of them typical nerds in bad need of a life. The characters are:
- Frank, the Game Master. Overweight and socially awkward.
- Lewis, gamer. Often dog-piled by the other players.
- Nelson, gamer. Rules Lawyer and power gamer.
- Shawn, gamer. Participates in the games via webcam from Alaska, often abusing said disconnect.
Apart from tabletop gaming, the comic references various staples of the geek subculture, from collectible card games to SF series.
Contains examples of:
Frank: "Due to rampant thefts, field destruction, zombie cattle, poisoned wells, attempted murder, and a relatively mundane aphid problem, your town can expect to suffer fifty percent population loss."
- Badass Santa / An Asskicking Christmas: Check it out.
- Basement Dweller: According to Nelson, everyone but him (although Shawn hadn't joined by then).
- Batman Gambit: Frank runs a campaign featuring multiple factions interlocked in a power struggle for the throne, each of whom having their own plot hooks. Nelson and Lewis decide to accept as many plot hooks as they possibly can to maximize their XP and loot, thus ending up playing multiple factions against each other. They end up having to do a lot of political maneuvering, actual role-playing, and careful reading of the campaign notes to accomplish this without being detected and cut off from doing more adventuring... Which turns out to have been Frank's plan all along.
- Brain Bleach: "Must... dump... Clorox... in... ears!"
- Curse: Lewis's cursed die that rolled only 1 soon messed up every number in the world. They broke it by turning rolling 1 from a Critical Failure into a Critical Hit.
- Deadpan Snarker: Nelson.
- Delicious Fruit Pies: Discussed when talking about how X Men First Class would subscribe to the 1960's style of comics.
- Despair Event Horizon: Nelson and Lewis' reaction on having heard that Karen Gillan was spotted wandering naked in her hotel in NYC, and they weren't there to see it.
Lewis: It's like... "Hey, they put the wrong address on one of your biggest fantasies and someone else got it instead. Sorry about that."
- Doomy Dooms of Doom: Meet the "verbal meme trigger".
- Dream Sequence: Technically flu- and fever-induced hallucinations, but close enough.
- Embarrassing Tattoo: Lewis, apparently.
Frank:Then I guess someone will be saving up to have a map to Milwaukee's "Safe House" bar lasered off his tattooed butt, huh?
Lewis: We agreed that topic was off limits!
Nelson: For aesthetic reasons alone...
- Everyone Is Single
- The Faceless: Shawn is never seen in person.
- Interestingly, the webcam is sometimes treated as if it were his actual body, and he fulfills most aspects of the Snarky Non-Human Sidekick. This could have interesting implications, or it could just be authorial silliness.
- It gets to the point where even in situations where he should be seen, he still appears as the webcam, such as at conventions or when everyone creates online avatars that resemble themselves.
- Fever Dream Episode: See Dream Sequence above.
- Genre Savvy: Nelson, about most of Frank's plot twists.
- The Ghost: Frank's sister is mentioned occasionally. She is probably quite cute to judge from Lewis and Nelson's reaction to the news that she is going bikini shopping.
- Haunted Technology: The radio in "Stephen King: The RPG".
- Horrible Camping Trip: Frank's family make him go these and his game inevitably suffers for it.
Frank: Okay, having gotten hopelessly lost, you're forced to spend the night in the forest. When your characters awaken, they discover that they'd been ravaged by dire mosquitoes to the tune of 3D6 worth of blood loss. As the vultures circle and the sun climbs, you begin to suffer heat exhaustion... Due to multiple insect bites and the fact that you had to sleep on the rocky ground, all your feat and skill rolls will be at minus five for the next day and a half.
Lewis: I vote that our D&D game gets a week off after your parents make you go camping.
- Instant Drama Just Add Tracheotomy: Parodied in one strip as a movie cliche that Aaron Williams hates.
- Jury Duty: Lewis was called up for one. The trial turned out to involve a lawsuit by a game publishing company against his favorite gaming store.
- Limited Wardrobe: Unless they make a point of dressing up, the characters are always depicted wearing the same clothes.
- Munchkin: Nelson. The Crowning Moment of Munchkinry was when he managed to finagle his way into ruling a fair chunk of the world and even appointed his character a god, complete with prestige class and Alignment Violation Coupons.
- Shawn may be one as well. When the other players question how they can be certain his die rolls will be fair (they rely on him reporting the results, since he plays by webcam) he offers them each a +5 vorpal sword that he randomly rolled as a show of faith.
- Really, all three players are Munchkins. Nelson is just the best one at it.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: D20 Modern + All Flesh Must Be Eaten + Harpoon = Somali Pirates of the Caribbean.
- No Name Given: The characters are only known by their first names. In fact, at first they didn't even know each other's names and referred to each other by their characters' names.
- Frank's last name is confirmed to be Stortz.
- Noodle Incident: Not only has there been plenty, but the players keep an entire BOOK of them, including the incident regarding the "sunproof vampire."
- Not Making This Up Disclaimer: At least twice, something has been mentioned to happen in Real Life, and a text box on the panel assures us that it's actually happening.
- Off the Rails: Sort of the rule of any game we see them playing, rather than the exception.
- Only Sane Man: The characters usually take turns in doing this... Except for Lewis.
- Frank does this most often. Nelson is at a close second.
- Proud to Be a Geek
- Random Number God
- Reed Richards Is Useless: Discussed here.
- Rules Lawyer: Nelson.
- Ruthless Modern Pirates: "Somali Pirates of the Caribbean"
- Self-Deprecation: Right here.
- Social Semi-Circle
- Shout-Out: Multiple to Phil and Kaja Foglio, Real Life friends of Aaron Williams.
- The Voice: Shawn
- What Did I Do Last Night??: The main characters went to a New Years Eve party at the "Goblin Hole" and look through their pockets to figure out what they did while under the influence of "Klingon War Nog". Frank finds a character sheet for the elf ranger from the D&D movie, Lewis finds a receipt for the Everquest sourcebooks, and Nelson (who hates anime) found Yu-Gi-Oh cards.
- When Frank's nephew entered a pine-box derby, Frank and Nelson drilled a hole "whose geometry looks straight out of the Necronomicon with a drill bit that may have gone through someone's skull" in the car. They blanked out at the pine-box derby; when they came to, they'd been dumped in a basement to scream themselves unconscious after tearing a hole in reality.