|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The heroine of the story, Tohru ends up in the Sohma household after her mother dies and she sets up tent on their property. She forges friendships with Yuki, Kyo, and Shigure, and eventually comes to befriend the rest of the Sohmas as well.
- All of the Other Reindeer: When she was younger.
- Badass Pacifist: This non-Action Girl teenager manages to calm down Kyo when he reverts to his true form and then she also speaks gently to Akito even when she's screaming and swinging a knife around.
- To add to the first point, Kyo's true from is not only hideous and reeking of dead human flesh but also super strong and super agile. Kyo, in blind fear of being rejected by her slashes her arm which noticeably hurts her a lot. Not to mention she does puke at some point due to the dead human flesh stink.
- And to add to the second: Akito is the God of the Zodiac. A terrifying mix of Manipulative Bitch, Broken Bird and Yandere, who is in a state of complete terror and anger since the Jyuunishi are being released of the curse one by one, which she sees as them abandoning her... and it's her biggest fear coming true. So after stabbing Kureno, Akito is at the lowest point of her life, screaming and swinging the knife she used on him. And yet Tohru manages to not run away, and even offer her kindness... which would eventually kickstart Akito's Heel Face Turn.
- Book Dumb
- Blue Eyes: In the first anime. She has Brown Eyes in both the manga and the second one.
- Break the Cutie: Akito tries this on her. It fails, and Akito didn't take it well.
- Care Bear Stare: Hiro thinks she can do this because she can love and tolerate the shit out of anyone.
- Cloudcuckoolander: She can be this on occasion but on the most part she's level headed.
- Crash Into Hello: Kyo falls through the roof, shouts at Yuki, and then Tohru trips and falls on him.
- Conveniently an Orphan: Averted, actually. She has a living grandfather and other relatives, but lived in a tent because she didn't want to burden them. Considering how badly her aunt and cousins treat her when she has to move back with the grandpa, she can't be blamed.
- Cooldown Hug: With Kyo's monster form.
- Curtains Match the Window: In the manga.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Invoked; Tohru is warned by Kagura not to claim she loves Kyo because she pities him.
- Easily Forgiven: Tohru does not hold grudges against anyone.
- Face Fault: Truly, out of ALL the characters, she makes the MOST face faults out of ANYONE. Makes sense though, being the normal person among a family of people who can transform into talking animals.
- First Kiss: Gets a bit complicated.
- Golden Moment
- Grow Old with Me: With Kyo.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Kyo.
- Heroic BSOD: After Kureno tells her that he has no desire to see Arisa again as well as the truth about Akito, Tohru stays in the same spot for hours, until Hanajima comes to save her.
- In the anime, when she first discovers Kyo's True Form. Akito attempting to break her down further moments later had added to this trauma, and it took a very important crossroads in order to snap out of it.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Has low self esteem hidden under her eternal smile.
- The Heroine: The protagonist who is saving the Sohmas from themselves.
- Magic Skirt
- The Messiah: She loves everyone, even Akito, who is disliked by nearly the entire Sohma family.
- Never Got to Say Goodbye: To her mom, before she died.
- Not So Different: In the manga's climax, parallels are drawn between how Tohru's devotion to her dead mother ties her down emotionally and the Sohma clan's curse. Specifically their 'bonds' to Akito, who does all of her evil and bitchy deals to not be abandoned by them.
- Plucky Girl: Eternally optimistic but never delusional. As for the bravery, see her entry on Badass Pacifist.
- The Pollyanna: In the anime, where nothing at all gets her down, unlike in the manga.
- Romance Genre Heroines: Of The Nurturer variety.
- Sorry I Fell on Your Fist
- Stepford Smiler: In the manga.
- Talking to the Dead: Keeps a picture of her mom in her wallet.
- Team Mom: Taking care of the Sohmas (the ones in Shigure's house at least) is technically payment for living there, but it goes deeper than that.
- Tender Tears
- Tomboyish Name: Her father gave it to her to emphasize her femininity -- like adding salt to something sweet to enhance the flavor.
- We Really Do Care
- What Would X Do?: She always quotes Kyoko.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: A more child-like, clumsier version. All the politeness and domestic talent, and so much inner iron she overwhelms everyone she nicely confronts. Also good at cooking Japanese style dishes. In fact, she once had an Imagine Spot about being a Japanese princess.
Yuki Sohma (The Rat)
- Abusive Parents: Like most of the Sohmas, his mother was mostly emotionally abusive (though not above smacking him around a little when she was upset with him). She's notable for the fact that after Yuki confronted her and told her that he wouldn't let her control him anymore, later chapters showed that she might be trying to turn over a new leaf. When she told him, "Try not to push yourself too hard," Yuki noted that it was an oddly motherly thing for her to say.
- In the manga, it was "don't use it wastefully", in regards to a cell phone he needs her permission to get.
- All Take and No Give: Has shades of this but it is never intentional on his part. He seeks Tohru's friendship, listening ear, and understanding quite often and has benefited from Hatsuharu's and Ayame's affection for him whenever he's in a tight spot he is unable to get himself out of. When this trait is pointed out to him he resolves to change himself into a person who can give back to the people who care for him.
- Always Someone Better: Kyo has trained in martial arts longer than he has and is more dedicated but he can't reach Yuki's level no matter what.
- Bad Dreams
- Berserk Button: Reminders of his older brother's quirks, Kyo at his worst, being mistaken for a woman, or the mere thought of crossdressing sets him of. Being unpleasant to Tohru is a great way to piss him off, too.
- Bishonen: Enough to be mistaken for a girl. Multiple times.
- Cleaning Up Romantic Loose Ends: In the end, with his underclassman Machi.
- Chick Magnet: Enough that he gets his own Unwanted Harem.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Parodied with Kakeru telling his girlfriend Komaki that Yuki had to dress up as a boy for certain reasons.
- In the anime, he sounds like a girl (and is voiced by a woman to to drive the point home. This is averted in the dub.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Boys and girls swoon over him.
- Green-Eyed Monster: His fan club.
- He's one himself towards Kyo and a little towards Manabe due to both of them being able to be natural and liked by their peers without having to try hard like he does.
- Surprisingly averted as Kyo and Tohru's relationship develops. Yuki does nothing to break them apart and even tries to help push things along.
- Harmful to Minors: Flashbacks are shown of Akito whipping him.
- Heavy Sleeper: Might as well be sleep on his feet in the morning.
- Ill Boy: When he was younger he had pretty severe asthma and other unspecified health problems, but this improves as he gets older.
- Informed Flaw: Supposedly weak and prone to illness, but he can easily beat down Kyo -- who's been training in martial arts all his life -- any time he wants.
- Instant Fanclub: The Yuki Fan Club.
- Insulted Awake: Kyo's voice alone is enough.
- Kakeru calling him a "spoiled little rich girl" woke him up, too.
- Involuntary Shapeshifting
- Lethal Chef
- Loving a Shadow: His feelings for Tohru were later said to be him looking for the mother he never had. Seeing that this happened after fourteen volumes of pining and even a confession of love, many fans found it less than convincing, and many people regard it as only an excuse to get rid of Yuki so Tohru and Kyo can be together.
- Not a Morning Person
- Prince Charming: His fan club gives him the nickname "Prince Yuki."
- Princely Young Man: Subverted, because he looks perfect, but due to his past Yuki is so terrified of rejection that he also is an enormous Stepford Smiler.
- Purple Eyes
- Student Council President: Later in the manga.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: He and Kakeru have a bit of this. Once when Yuki was depressed, Kakeru cheered him up... by throwing a soccer ball in his face.
- He and Kakeru had an insult match that involved them choking each other and then walking off all happy and friendly a couple of panels later.
- The Unfavourite
Kyo Sohma (The Cat)
- Abusive Parents: His father hates him and claims his mother committed suicide from shame and disgust at having him. Later, however, it is heavily implied that she both loved Kyo and feared his monster form, which led her to being unable to show her affection properly and becoming My Beloved Smother. It's also all but said that she was actually Driven to Suicide by her husband's pressure on her, rather than by Kyo's existence at all.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Despised by more than one member of the Sohma clan since he's the cat. Epecially by Akito, and to a smaller degree Yuki.
- Berserk Button: Threaten Tohru and you will regret it.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Not really good about voicing his feelings on anything let alone romantic ones.
- Cats Are Mean: Subverted because he's mean outside, but isn't exactly evil.
- Chekhov's Gun: Beads? A "cursed form?" Well, this certainly won't show up in a few dozen chapters.
- Cute Kitten: He gets teased about this.
- Cute Little Fangs: Has them during some comedic moments
- Does Not Like Shoes: Goes barefoot at nearly every possible moment, even during a footrace!
- Does Not Like Spam: He hates, hates, HATES leeks. (Which are poisonous to actual cats)
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: He fears people getting close to him, since he has difficulty to know if they genuinely love him or just pity him for his curse.
- Dude, She's Like, in a Coma: Near the end of the manga, Tohru falls off a cliff. While she's lying on the ground unconscious, Kyo kisses her. To be fair, Tohru regained consciousness for a bit when she noticed Kyo was crying. She said some comforting words to him, then lost consciousness again, and then he kissed her. He also wasn't exactly sure whether she was fully conscious or not, as he even confirms that she wasn't after their second kiss when she acts completely shocked that it's their second and not their first.
- Fiery Redhead: Usually shouting, or breaking something.
- First Kiss
- First-Name Basis: At the start of the manga, he called Tohru "you." After The Climax of volume six, he switches to "Tohru."
- Green-Eyed Monster: The first evidence of his attraction to Tohru.
- Grow Old with Me: With Tohru.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: It's incredibly easy to set him off, even without the above Berserk Button.
- Hellish Pupils
- Hot-Blooded: And HOW.
- Instant Bandages
- Involuntary Shapeshifting: Aside from the 'cat if hugged' thing, he has a second one. Those beads? They keep him from transforming into a monstrous, car-sized, stinking monstrosity.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He IS a jerk, but a nice jerk (especially later on).
- Longing Look: Towards Tohru
- My Beloved Smother: His mom tended to keep him sheltered and away from other people. It's implied later on to be his father's decree rather than hers, and that she did love him as much as she could in her difficult situation.
- My Kung Fu Is Stronger Than Yours: He constantly fights Yuki and loses.
- Not Good with People: Because of his tremendous issues.
- Picky Eater: As said above, he hates leeks. Still made Tohru some leek soup when she was sick.
- Please Put Some Clothes On: To a naked Kagura, after she transforms back.
- Power Limiter: The beads. The also serve to block Power Incontinence.
- Sitting on the Roof: Shigure lampshades it. "Sulking on the roof is how he shows he cares." He also has a touching moment at that spot with Tohru where he talks about his adoptive father.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: With his cousin Kagura. Also with Tohru until the end.
- Sprouting Ears: Especially in the anime.
- Through His Stomach: Cooks for Tohru when she's ill -- despite teasing.
- Troubled but Cute
- Tsundere: Male version
Akito Sohma "God"
Voiced by: Wakaba Murasaki (JP), Chad Cline (EN), Junko Minagawa (Last Story video-comic), Maaya Sakamoto (2019 JP)
The God of the Zodiac. Akito is arguably the Big Bad of the series.
- Abusive Parents: Well, Ren anyway. But her abuse is much more than enough.
- All That Glitters: Akito was told that a small black box contained her father's soul. It didn't.
- Attention Whore: A very creepy and self-destructive version.
- Ax Crazy
- Beautiful All Along: When dressed up in a female kimono, she's very beautiful. Lampshaded by Ritsu's comment when he gets to see dolled-up!Akito and is shocked by how gorgeous she looks.
- Berserk Button: If you're a Sohma, do NOT tell Akito you're leaving the family in ANY way.
- Bifauxnen: So much so that the revelation that Akito is not in fact male qualified as a Shocking Swerve.
- Big Bad: As close to one as this series has.
- Bokukko: Aside of being a Bifauxnen, she uses "boku" to refer to herself. She keeps doing so after her Heel Face Turn.
- Break the Cutie: Attempts this on Kisa and Tohru. Has this inflicted on her as a little girl, via Ren.
- Break the Haughty: Oh, so much.
- Broken Bird: Manifested less as hypercompetency or great worldliness, but rather through wild mood swings, from crying at the fear of abandonment, to physically abusing family members, including blinding Hatori in one eye, pushing Rin out a window, repeatedly thrashing Kisa, and stabbing Kureno (one of her lovers). All of which springs from a really bad childhood with a loving Disappeared Dad who died when she was a little girl, a very cruel and arguably crazy Evil Matriarch of a mother, and being forcefully raised as a boy to avoid being seen as a threat by said mother, who poisoned her with hatred and insecurity.
- Chronic Villainy
- Crashing Dreams: Akito has a flashback dream where she asks Shigure if he loves her. After Shigure responds, gives her a flower and kisses her, he says her name, at which point so does Kureno, causing Akito to wake up in the car.
- Creepy Child: As a kid, she's seen painting her room black and claiming she hates everyone, after she snaps as a product of Ren's psychological abuse.
- Does Not Like Men: Inverted; Akito hates women. Despite being one in the manga. Or, more than hating women as a whole, Akito hates those who try taking the Sohmas away (even if they're Sohmas themselves), due to Ren's abuse.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Tells that to Tohru in the middle of a Villainous Breakdown in the manga.
- Dropped a Bridget On Him: Everyone not in the know (except Uotani) reacts like this to The Reveal about Akito's gender. And then, of course, there was the fanbase's reaction...
- Easily Forgiven: The Sohma come to forgive, while Rin doesn't, and hates herself for it. This is due to the fact that they were so over her by that point (especially with the power of Tohru's healing personality), that they didn't even hold a grudge against her (except Rin).
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Eye Scream: Performed on Hatori.
- Evil Plan: Originally it was to possess the Zodiac, then it became drive Torhu away and then possess the Zodiac.
- Fauxshadow: She does a Heel Face Turn about 30 chapters later.
- Freudian Excuse: ...Except it really isn't an excuse. More like a "List of Grievances".
- Flower Motifs: Associated with red camellias, which are a symbol of love in the language of flowers. This is also the kind of flower Shigure gave her when she was little and he confessed his love.
- Freak-Out: Happens quite often.
- Heel Face Turn
- Heel Realization
- Hikikomori: She was homeschooled during her high school years, due to her frail health.
- Ill Girl: More in the anime than the manga.
- Involuntary Shapeshifting
- Let Me At Him
- Limited Wardrobe: Almost always seen in a male kimono, though in the manga she also wears suits once in a while.
- MacGuffin: See the All That Glitters entry.
- Manipulative Bastard: Can keep the Sohma under a tight leash with mood swings and abuse.
- Mind Rape: Akito is both a perpetrator and a victim. Thank you, Ren.
- Physical God: Akito is the "God" of the Zodiac.
- Pragmatic Villainy: Ayame, Kagura, and Ritsu are spared from the wrath Akito unreleased among others.
- Fan theorized that since the role Akito has could includes being superstitious since in Japanese culture considered a white snake good luck. Since Ayame have some form of albinism and is curse with the spirit of the snake, he’s generally spared by default.
- Ritsu dresses like a girl and has a lot of issues. It’s likely due to this is why Akito doesn’t bother with him. In addition, he doesn’t like at the main house, therefore Akito leaves him alone since he already have problems.
- Kagura is specially spared from Akito, who has been known not to show mercy to the other female members of the Sohma clan. Fans suspected there one thing Kagura has that Rin and Kisa doesn’t… a violent personality that her defense system. Akito can be violent but Kagura… Akito wants nothing to do with her.
- Psychotic Smirk
- Raised as the Opposite Gender
- Slasher Smile
- Somebody Doesn't Love Raymond
- Tsundere: She was in her way to become one, until Ren's abuse finally got to her head and she became a Yandere. Yuki recalls her yelling at him once, then stopping herself and gently picking up a bowl.
- The Reveal: Her real gender
- Unstoppable Rage: Do NOT make Akito mad.
- Villainous Breakdown: An absolutely epic one.
- Villainous Crossdresser: Not by choice.
- What Have I Become?
- Why Couldn't You Be Different?: From either Akito towards others, or from Ren towards Akito.
- Why Did You Make Me Hit You?: A good part of Akito's Manipulative Bastard strategy
- Yandere: Hoo boooooy...
- Yangire, as well
Other Zodiac Members
Shigure Sohma (The Dog)
Voiced by: Ryotaro Okiayu (JP), John Burgmeier (EN), Yuuichi Nakamura (2019 JP series)
- Abusive Parents: Averted, actually. They're only seen briefly, yet he seems to have a deatached but good enough relationship with them.
- Bishonen: When he goes to Tohru's school, several of her classmates mention how good looking he is, and one of Mitsu's coworkers stated that she was attracted to his good looks as well.
- Bishie Sparkle: Of all things, when he sings about high school girls.
- The Chessmaster: It's strongly implied that Shigure knew how to break the curse and started moving things into place once he found someone who could do it. He's not too proud of this, even though he did it to save them all and win Akito's love. Said manipulations included sleeping with Ren (who he said looked like what Akito raised as a girl would look like) and being deliberately distant with her.
- Chivalrous Pervert: He's a huge pervert, yes, but he does have his limits and many moments where he's quite serious.
- Handsome Lech: Flirts openly with high school aged Tohru when he first meets her, is eager to meet her friends before Kyou describes how...colorful they are, buys her a blatantly Fan Service-y Meido outfit for White Day hoping she'll clean his house in it, and goes to Tohru's high school under the pretense of retrieving her belongings when he was really going to check out the high school girls (sings a little song about it, too). Averted with Isuzu when she offers her body if he tells her how to break the curse, but in full force when he comically laments that Hatori didn't tell him he was going to give her a check up.
- Harem Nanny: Takes care of Yuki, followed by Tohru and Kyo.
- I Banged Your Mom: To Akito. Akito was not amused.
- Involuntary Shapeshifting
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: At the start of the series, when Shigure and Yuki discover Tohru camping in the wilderness behind their home, Shigure reacts by pointing and laughing uproariously. He quickly becomes protective of Tohru, to the point where Hanajima and Uotani liken him to a grandfather spoiling his granddaughter. Shigure also happens to push his editor's buttons to the point where she's about a hair away from committing suicide, but he never does so out of maliciousness, he just likes pushing other people's buttons.
- Karma Houdini: Arguably, his manipulations and mind screws (especially in regards to Akito, the girl he loves and yet still manipulates) never got him in real trouble.
- Manipulative Bastard: In the manga, especially towards Rin and Akito. To his credit, he didn't take Rin's offer, but he still manipulated Akito like hell.
- Papa Wolf: Shigure dotes on Tohru quite a bit, although whether or not it's for his own personal gain is another matter.
- Parental Substitute: Sorta, as Yuki's caretaker. Also present, to some extent, in his relationship with Tohru.
- Romance Genre Heroes: Of The Charmer variety.
- Shipper on Deck: He was a real jerk about it, but it's his actions that ultimately lead to Mayuko and Hatori dating.
- Smoking Is Cool
- Temporary Love Interest: Mayu, though it was a mutual arrangement from the start -- Shigure basically said "You're lonely, I'm bored -- let's date". It was never a genuine romantic relationship and in the end Mayu broke it off because she just couldn't keep pretending it was.
- The Gadfly: Sometimes a means to an end, other times just to be a dick.
- Unflappable Guardian: One that uses Obfuscating Stupidity to his advantage.
- Urban Legend Love Life
- Your Cheating Heart: Turns out he once slept with Akito's mother, Ren. He claims this was only because she slept with Kureno (and because Ren looked like Akito would've looked like, had she been raised as a woman). Akito got so upset that she immediately kicked him out of the main Sohma estate for this.
Kagura Sohma (The Boar)
- Abusive Parents: Toyed with. Her parents apparently used to fight quite a bit over Kagura's condition, but the times her mother shows up in the manga, she's perfectly okay with Kagura being... herself. It's implied that the father is distanced from them, however.
- Adult Child: Older Than They Look -- She's a 18 year old college student, and acts like a high schooler.
- Childhood Marriage Promise: Kagura forces Kyo to promise to marry her. She eventually stops holding him to it.
- Cool Big Sis: Was described as one by Takeya.
- Constantly Curious: In the Backstory, during her first meeting with Kyo.
- Cursed with Awesome: Kagura has a lot of anger issues, just ask Kyo, but her rage seems to be effective against Akito, who’s known to attack Sohma members. Since Akito is often fragile yet full of rage, it’s safe to assume that the rage Kagura has is too much even for Akito.
- Dogged Nice Girl: To Kyo.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: After being rejected by Kyo definitely, when her mom asks her what's wrong, she says she's just realized how self-centered she was and rejects her pity.
- Full Boar Action: as the boar of the Zodiac. In the beginning she is quite aggressive as well.
- Genki Girl: Extremely energetic about her feelings for Kyo.
- The Glomp: To Kyo
- Gray Eyes
- Involuntary Shapeshifting
- Love Redeems: Subverted; she tries to invoke this, but realizes in due course that it was as selfish as the behavior she was trying to redeem herself from.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Kyou's
- Yandere and Tsundere: She's an odd mixture of both types.
Momiji Sohma (The Rabbit)
- Abusive Parents: His mother (implied to be VERY mentally unstable) snapped when she gave birth to him and found out about Momiji's curse, and completely went the "That Thing Is Not My Child" mode, ultimately choosing to be given Laser-Guided Amnesia regarding him. His Sohma father provides for him adequately, but doesn't let him meet up with his sister Momo so the drama won't resurface.
- Bishonen: Once he has a growth spurt in the manga.
- Brown Eyes: Though he was shown with Blue Eyes in a cover illustration.
- But Not Too Foreign: Half Japanese, half German.
- Cuddle Bug: Loves hugging people, especially Tohru, even though it means he'll transform.
- Dramatic Irony: His mother had her memory of him erased and only knows him as a random Sohma child, and his little sister Momo doesn't know he exists, but his mother expresses concern that "his mother" will worry, and his sister asks to act as her big brother.
- Gratuitous German: Moreso in the manga.
- Hair of Gold: Nice, affectionate, helpful, a great kid.
- He Is All Grown Up: Later in the manga.
- Involuntary Shapeshifting
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Towards Tohru, in the manga.
- Older Than They Look: Looks and acts like a child, but is actually around Tohru's age.
- Stepford Smiler: His mother's reaction to his cursed form hurt him terribly, but he pretends it doesn't bother him.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Sometimes dresses up in female clothes.
Hatori Sohma (The Dragon)
- Berserk Button: A more emotionally subdued version but he's very self-conscious about his zodiac form.
- Bilingual Bonus: Hatori turns into a seahorse instead of a dragon. A Japanese word for seahorse is 竜の落し子 (tatsu no otoshigo), which literally translates to "dragon's baby."
- Bishonen: Similar to the other members of the Zodiac and the Sohma in general. Kakaeru asks if there's something he eats to be so good looking.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Eye Scream: Akito nearly blinds him in one eye after he says he wishes to marry Kana.
- Hospital Hottie: He's the family doctor.
- Involuntary Shapeshifting
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Dragons: Well, yes and no. He actually transforms into a seahorse.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Toward Kana.
- Not So Above It All: Has a few of moments of not being completely mature and poised. He tricked Yuki and Kyo into taking a photo of them seemingly smiling together only to playfully give the camera to Tohru by putting on her head. He gave Shigure more injections than necessary because the latter was being annoying. He also threatened to tell Shigure's colleagues every embarrassing story he knew about him since he was four if he told Tohru the secret of his zodiac form.
- Only Sane Man: Compared to his best friends Shigure and Ayame.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Over the hurt eye.
- Secret Relationship: With Kana, until he tells Akito about it. Akito does not respond well.
- Second Love: With Mayuko.
- The Stoic
- Not So Stoic: At a few key points.
Hatsuharu Sohma (The Ox)
Voiced by: Akio Suyama (JP), Justin Cook (EN), Makoto Furukawa (JP, 2019 series)
- Abusive Parents: Averted, from what it has been shown his mother may not show up a lot but she does care for him.
- A Man Is Not a Virgin
- Bi the Way: Tells Tohru that Yuki was his first love.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: When he becomes Black Haru.
- Involuntary Shapeshifting
- Multicolored Hair: Part white, part black. Prompts a Crowning Moment of Funny when he drags the student council president into the men's room to "prove" it's natural.
- No Sense of Direction: When they were kids, Kyo had to hold his hand and led him to school. At his introduction he states he was 'lost in the dark heart of the urban jungle' for three days.
- Psychotic Smirk: Black Haru.
- Slasher Smile: Black Haru.
- Split Personality: Black Haru.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: You guessed it, Black Haru.
- What the Hell, Hero?: A mighty one to Akito.
Ayame Sohma (The Snake)
- Abusive Parents: They disowned Ayame when he was young, apparently because he was too independent for their liking.
- Aloof Big Brother: In the Backstory. By the time the series starts, he's gotten over it.
- The Atoner: Feels guilty for his treatment of Yuki when they were kids, and for how he treated a girl who loved him when he was in school.
- Big Brother Complex: Inverted; Ayame has a younger brother complex.
- Bishonen: Considering he's Yuki's brother...
- Camp Straight: Or possibly Camp Bi the Way.
- Cursed with Awesome: In Japan, white snakes are considered fortuity and Akito is likely superstitious that was granted. As a result, the shape-shifting Ayame is cursed with has spared him from any attacks since it can be disaster for Akito.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: It's the long hair and his effeminate behavior.
- Homoerotic Subtext: Played for laughs with Shigure as a long-running joke between them.
- Involuntary Shapeshifting
- Large Ham: It's refered to as "steamrolling people with his personality."
- No Sense of Personal Space: Justified when he's in snake form, as he's extremely susceptible to the cold and needs to rely on another person's body heat. Not that this explains him from getting into bed with Kyo (fully clothed) in the middle of the night and snuggling close, mind you.
- Rapunzel Hair: Down to his back.
- Shipper on Deck: Seems to support Yuki/Tohru and Kyo/Kagura judging by how he wants to embroider "I live for Kagura" on Kyo's clothing and "I live for Yuki" on Tohru's clothing.
- What Do You Mean It's Not Awesome?: Ayame eats his soba, with great confidence.
- White-Haired Pretty Boy
Kisa Sohma (The Tiger)
Voiced by: Kaori Nazuka (JP 2011), Rina Ueda (JP 2019) Kate Bristol (EN)
- All of the Other Reindeer - Stock Shoujo Bullying Tactics: Her classmates hate her for her unusual looks, so they either ignore or mock her.
- Break the Cutie: Courtesy of her classmates, who bullied the Hell out of her for her hair.
- Catgirl: In a way; she just transforms into an adorable tiger kitty.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Cute Mute: At the beginning.
- Cute Kitten: Especially when she's already cute as a button as a human girl.
- Involuntary Shapeshifting
- Morality Chain: When it comes to Tohru, she plays this role for Hiro.
- Onee-Sama: Views Tohru as this. Kisa adores her and follows her around a duckling.
- Parents as People: Her mother is a good person, but she's pretty overwhelmed with Kisa's problems and falls into My Beloved Smother. She eventually gets better about it.
- Zettai Ryouiki
Hiro Sohma (The Sheep)
- Abusive Parents: Notably averted with Hiro, who, unlike most of the Zodiac, has parents who love him just as he is. Especially his mother Satsuki.
- Adorably Precocious Child
- Big Brother Instinct: Invoked in the manga after the birth of his younger sister, Hinata. Present to an extent in his desire to protect Kisa and Rin, although he's younger than both of them.
- Bratty Half-Pint
- Crazy Jealous Guy: To Kisa
- Even Bratty Half Pints Love Their Mamas: He really, really worries over his beloved mother.
- Failure Knight: Thinks he failed to protect Kisa from Akito's fury and that's why she was hurt. He fears staying close to Kisa will draw Akito's wrath to her again. Later, he blames himself for not being able to aid Rin, having witnessed how Akito threw her off a window and being paralyzed at that.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Lashes out against Tohru for her close friendship with Kisa that comforted Kisa when he couldn't. Realizes this was a dumb move when Kisa warns him to back off.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Hypocritical Humor: "I can't stand people who complain all the time."
- Inferiority Superiority Complex
- Involuntary Shapeshifting
- Mouthy Kid
- Only Child Syndrome: At first.
- Pet the Dog: His real love and concern for Kisa and Rin soften his Jerkass Facade considerably.
- Secret Keeper: For most of the manga, the truth about Rin's injuries. It weighs heavily on him. And he pretty much breaks down in tears when he can't hold back anymore and explains the truth to Haru.
- Somebody Doesn't Love Raymond: One of the few people not immediately charmed by Tohru, he at first actively baits her. See Green-Eyed Monster.
- Straight Man: Becomes this a few times in the Beach arc after he decides to cool his hostility towards Tohru compared to Cloudcuckoolander Tohru and occasionally Kisa.
- Too Clever by Half: Very smart for his age and knows it. This usually doesn't keep his mouth from getting him in trouble or give him the emotional maturity to handle difficult situations.
- Tsundere: With Kisa. Eventually acts this way to a degree with Tohru as well; while Hiro is never as effusively affectionate toward Tohru as most of the other cursed Sohmas, he does show genuine concern for her and her well-being.
Ritsu Sohma (The Monkey)
- Ambiguous Gender: In-Universe; he's a boy, but due to being a Wholesome Crossdresser, Tohru mistakes him for a girl. Word of God also reveals that his own girlfriend can't tell if he's male or female (not that she cares).
- Apologizes a Lot: Taken to an extreme.
- Character Exaggeration: Played with for laughs.
- Demoted to Extra: The number of chapters in which he appears, including his introduction, can literally be counted on the fingers of one hand.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady:
- Dropped a Bridget On Him: Tohru is very confused when the lovely young "lady" she had met transforms into a monkey in her arms.
- Fragile Flower: Nearly anything can set off the tears and franatic apologies.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: The root of his problems.
- Important Haircut
- Involuntary Shapeshifting
- Large Ham: Because he apologizes that loudly and repeteadly.
- Parents as People: As said below, his mother may be a Nervous Wreck (not unlike him) but she loves him with all of her heart-
- Wholesome Crossdresser: One of the solutions he tried to not remain quite so insecure, mistakenly thinking that he'd be bullied less. Later in the series he dresses in more masculine clothes, but keeps his hair long and tied with a small ribbon.
- What Could Have Been: Word of God states that there were chapters written to develop a relationship between Ritsu and Mitchan, but Takaya couldn't find a good spot to use them.
Isuzu "Rin" Sohma (The Horse)
Voiced by: Houko Kuwashima (Last Story video-comic), Aki Toyosaki (2019 anime)
- Abusive Parents: Mom and Dad pretended to love her, until she noticed their love was fake and confronted them about it. They became horribly abusive afterwards (i.e, the scars on her back come from their mistreatment), until Kagura's parents found out and took Rin into their custody; she was so badly damaged, though, that she simply couldn't bond with them despite their good intentions.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl
- Bad Dreams
- Broken Bird
- Destination Defenestration: When Akito confronts her in regards to her and Haru, Rin says she's the one who started their relationship. An enraged Akito throws her out the second floor window. She survives, but is seriously injured.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!
- Even the Girls Want Her: Tohru's reaction after seeing her naked (post-transformation).
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Dresses like that sometimes.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has heavy scars on her back, thanks to her evil parents.
- Ill Girl: Her traumatic past cause her health problems more than once (Specifically, she has stomach ulcerae) She also has a few psychological problems indicated by her hallucinating that Tohru is her mother whom she is begging not to be angry with her.
- Important Haircut/Traumatic Haircut: Courtesy of Akito, as punishment for following Akito's evil mother Ren's orders and with the added bonus of how she and Ren looked a LOT alike when Rin wore with her long hair down.
- Involuntary Shapeshifting
- Ms. Fanservice: By Word of God, "she's the character in charge of sexiness."
- Please, I Will Do Anything!: She offers herself to Shigure to get him to tell her how to break the curse. Shigure declines.
- Screw Destiny: She actively tries to break the curse.
- Tsundere: Towards Tohru, after they become friends and towards Hatsuharu after she breaks up with him.
Kureno Sohma (The Rooster)
Voiced by: Susumu Chiba (Last Story video-comic)
- Brought Down to Normal: Sort of, after Kureno's curse is broken.
- Love Martyr: Arguably was one for Akito.
- Maintain the Lie: Kureno's curse being broken is only known by him, Tohru, Akito and Shigure.
- Second Hand Storytelling: When he tells Tohru about Akito.
- We Would Have Told You But: About Akito's history, when he tells Tohru.
- The Atoner: As a teen, Kazuma treated the former Cat (his grandfather) quite badly. Upon meeting the new Cat, Kyo, he takes him in, having never been able to forgive himself for that.
- Bishonen: And he's 39.
- Cool Old Guy: Though he's not really old, Kyo will gladly gush about his cool he is.
- Hot Shoujo Uncle
- Important Haircut
- Lethal Chef: He can't even prepare decent tea.
- Older Than They Look: He's 39 during his first appearance in Volume 6. At the end of the series, he should be about 41. You wouldn't guess any of this just by looking at him. Even Takaya admits she draws him very young looking.
- Parental Substitute: To Rin and Kyo.
- Papa Wolf: He will not allow anyone to mistreat Kyo.
- Abusive Parents: The worst one in the series.
- Bigger Bad: To Akito, and thus for the entire series.
- Child-Hater: She once said that she hated how the then-tiny Ayame, Hatori, Kureno and Shigure swarmed to her and cried. She didn't know it, but their tears were because they sensed she was pregnant with Akito, the future God of the Zodiac. She also notes that she has always hated Rin, and Akito remembers her as a cold mother.
- Evil Matriarch: Ooooh, boy...
- Love Makes You Evil: Ren originally worked as a maid in the Sohma state, then was the first person who took care of Ill Boy Akira and reached out to him. Her Face Heel Turn came when she got pregnant and became obsessed with the idea that Akira would care more for their then-unborn child than for her... and you know what came next.
- Manipulative Bitch
- Meddling Parents: To some degree. She doesn't believe in the bond but she doesn't do anything about it except trying to use it against Akito.
- Smug Snake: Beautiful, evil, sly, manipulative... and not just despicable, but in the end, very incompetent. She has to manipulate her desperate niece Rin to get her late husband Akira's box (Rin then fails and is horrifyingly "punished" by Akito), is humiliated by Shigure when he tells her he only had sex with her because she looks like an older Akito, and once her plans crumble she's left as pretty much as an Empty Shell of her former self.
- Tall, Dark and Bishoujo
- Villainous Breakdown: And a Villainous BSOD that follows it.
- Yandere: And holy shit, HOW. Even more than Akito!
- Bishonen: He had an "unearthly beauty", according to people.
- Hot Dad
- Ill Boy
- Lonely Rich Kid: As head of the Sohma family, people can seldom approach him.
- White-Haired Pretty Boy
- Your Days Are Numbered: The heads of the family rarely live past 30.
Voiced by: Haruhi Terada (JP original), Minami Tsuda (JP, 2019), Libby Smith (EN)
- Break the Cutie
- Hospital Hottie: Was Hatori's assistant.
- Mind Rape: Via Akito. She's left in such a huge Heroic BSOD that Hatori erases her memories of their romance so she can get better. She's now Happily Married to someone else, and only remembers Hatori as her never-confessed first love.
- Naive Everygirl
Hiro Sohma's mother, she makes relatively few appearances late in the manga. Gives birth in the manga to a non-Zodiac daughter, Hinata, making Hiro a big brother.
- Children Raise You: Hiro acts like a concerned but exasperated parent to her most of the time. She remarks in one panel how her son always scolds her. In another panel, she responds with a "Yes, sir!" when he tells her to be more careful while she's still pregnant. (Though her lighthearted tone of voice could mean she just humors him all of the time.)
- Dojikko: Such a klutz that Hiro is paranoid she's bound to trip down a flight of stairs. He's especially freaked out when she's pregnant.
- Doting Parent: Aside from Kagura's mother, she's the only mother of a Zodiac child we see who neither rejected him nor became overprotective.
- Genki Girl
- Good Parents: Satsuki is one of the only parents of Zodiac members who openly loves her kid
- Hot Mom
- Obfuscating Genkiness: She's a lot more aware of Hiro's emotional sore spots than he realizes.
- Open-Minded Parent: Unperturbed that her son turns into a sheep. Heck, when he transformed when she held him for the very first time, her reaction was, "I love sheep!"
- Savvy Son Energetic Mom
- Shipper on Deck: Openly anticipates gaining Kisa as a daughter-in-law, much to Hiro's horror.
- So Proud of You
Voiced by: Junko Yamamoto (JP, original), Sachiko Kojima (JP, 2019), Julie Mayfield (EN)
Ritsu's mother, and the manager of a hot springs owned by the clan.
- Apologizes a Lot: And how!
- Canon Immigrant: She apparently appeared in one of Natsuki Takaya's earlier stories.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Fragile Flower - Like Mother Like Son: Ritsu didn't get his Fragile Flower side from thin air.
- My Beloved Smother: Sympathetic example, because...
- Parents as People: For all of her faults, she adores Ritsu and sincerely wants him to be happy.
- Stringy Haired Ghost Girl: Not a ghost, and certainly not a young girl, but has the looks and she has been mistaken as a ghost.
Voiced by: Yuka Imai (JP), Parisa Fakhri (EN), Atsumi Tanezaki (JP, 2019 series)
- Bokukko: She has pretty boyish speech patterns.
- Cool Big Sis: After lecturing to three middle school aged yankii wannabes, they start respecting her and one starts calling her Onee-Sama.
- Delinquents: See Grumpy Bear. Even now, she still carries a metal pipe.
- Grumpy Bear: Until befriending Kyoko and Tohru she was grumpy and violent.
- The Ladette
- May-December Romance: Is paired with Kureno Sohma, who is nine years her senior, at the end of the series.
- New Job Episode: Does various part time jobs.
- Parental Abandonment: When she was very young, her mother left her and her father to marry another man.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: She and Kureno fell in love with each other over the course of two meetings. However, due to Kureno's obligation to Akito he decided to never see her again even after learning that she wanted to. They are reunited at the end of the series.
- Volleying Insults: With Kyo.
Voiced by: Yuko Minaguchi (JP, drama CD), Reiko Yasuhara (JP, series), Daphne Gere (EN), Satomi Satou (JP, 2019 series)
- All of the Other Reindeer: Her Strange Girl infamy first brought her bullying at first, then almost complete isolation... until Tohru and Arisa break through her defenses.
- Book Dumb: She's not really, but she fails her tests because the make-up ones are easier.
- Expressive Hair
- Elegant Gothic Lolita
- Good Parents: Her parents and grandmother are endlessly loving and supportive of her, especially when she was being bullied and ostracized. They also aren't too bothered by her powers. Heck, her little brother Megumi takes after them and is pretty protective of her sometimes.
- Invisible to Normals: Hanajima's denpa waves.
- Psychic Powers: She reads auras and can potentially kill with her "denpa waves". That almost happened in her backstory, where she loses it after being brutally bullied by a boy and wishing for his death... then her powers go haywire and he almost dies.
- The Stoic: Always monotone, rarely emotional.
- Strange Girl
- When She Smiles
Voiced by: Omi Minami (JP, 2001), Yukiyo Fujii (2019 anime, JPN), Hollie Townson (EN)
- Creepy Child: Genre Savvy enough to deliberately exploit it.
- I Know Your True Name: According to him.
- Likes Older Women: He's pretty subtle about it but he mentions once how "interesting" it is for him to be the only boy amongst three women (Saki, Tohru, and Arisa). Then there was his forward comment about visiting Arisa at work to see her in a miniskirt...
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Upon hearing the plan of the Prince Yuki Fan Club girls, he gives them a speech about how they're being selfish by forcing their one-sided affections on Yuki and that he would come to hate them for driving away the people he allows into his life. His words even reach Saki, who had been suffering from her own mild jealousy of Tohru's friendships with the Sohmas.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: Tohru quotes Kyoko's words quite a few times in the manga; also Kyoko helping Kyo and Arisa in the flashbacks.
- Posthumous Character
Kyoko Honda, née Katsunuma
Voiced by: Reiko Yasuhara (JP), Julie Mayfield (EN), Miyuki Sawashiro (JPN, 2019)
- Adult Fear: A flashback reveals a pregnant Kyoko terrified that her relationship with Tohru would go the way of hers with her own mother.
- Also, when little Tohru got lost, Kyouko went ballistic on the police because it was very hard to find her.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Inverted -- Katsuya makes fun of Kyoko because she doesn't have eyebrows.
- Broken Bird: Until Katsuya offers her a helping hand.
- Broken Pedestal: Arisa was not happy to discover that the "Red Butterfly" she'd admired had turned into a Doting Mother. However, after she slowly warmed up to her and when she helped Arisa quit her gang, she admired her again.
- Delinquents: In her teenage years.
- Former Teen Rebel
- Grumpy Bear: For a while.
- Hot Mom
- We Have No Daughter: What her father pretty much says to her face when Kazuma asks them if he has their permission to marry her. Kazuya then takes Kyoko in, and they're soon married.
- Open-Minded Parent
- Parental Neglect: Kyoko's Freudian Excuse when she was young, since the Katsunumas emotionally ignored her and were only worried about her giving them a bad rep. When Katsuya died, Kyoko had an emotional breakdown and started neglecting Tohru for a while. Thankfully, she snapped out of it before any lasting harm could be done, but she regards it as My Greatest Failure.
- The Red Baron: Was known as "The Red Butterfly" during her delinquent days, since the image of the red taillight on her bicycle was said to resemble a flitting butterfly as she rode it.
- Team Mom: Where Tohru got it from.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: After marrying Katsuya, she is happy to be a loving mother and Housewife and finally experience living in a happy family... and then, in Uotani's backstory, we see that she beats the tar out of a group of delinquents to save Arisa. In Yuki's flashback to when little Tohru went missing, we also see her threaten to "rain death upon [the police's] miserable souls" if they don't find her baby. That's the kind of inner iron that seperates the docile Housewife pushover Extreme Doormat from Yamato Nadeshiko.
- Big Brother Mentor: He was this to Kyoko, before they fell in love.
- Happily Married
- Hot for Student: Katsuya was Kyoko's student teacher and counselor before they got married. He was actually going to her house to ask her parents if he could marry her... and quite in time, since he did it right when the Katsunumas were kicking Kyoko out of the house. He gives them a What the Hell, Hero? speech and takes Kyoko in.
- Hot Teacher
- Hot Dad
- Incurable Cough of Death: Katsuya died of a badly-treated flu.
The Student Council
Voiced by: Yuki Kaida (Drama CD), Ai Kakuma (2019 anime, JPN)
- Birds of a Feather: With Yuki, due to their Abusive Parents and being pushed towards perfection.
- I Can't Believe a Guy Like You Would Notice Me: To Yuki.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: All Machi wanted to do was make sure her baby brother stayed warm while he slept. Her parents came in and assumed she was trying to smother him with a blanket.
- Parental Neglect: Machi and Kakeru are the children of a filthy rich guy, with Machi as the legitimate daughter and Kakeru as the son of the man's mistress. The two were forced by their parents into a bitter inheritance rivalry, the result being that she became quiet, removed from society, and despised anything she considered "perfect." Her mother then openly tells a friend that Machi is "dull" and that she prefers her new baby boy. Oh, and Machi is forced to live by herself, because her parents think she'll try to murder her little brother. Even though she was putting a blanket on him while he slept.
- Shrinking Violet
- Sibling Yin-Yang" With Kakeru, even though they are only half siblings.
- The Unfavourite: To both Kakeru and her baby brother
Voiced by: Kenichi Suzumura (Drama CD), Takuya Eguchi (2019 anime, JPN)
- Abusive Parents: His mother was the mistress of Machi's father, as said above, and the two were pushed into a rivalry that neither child wanted. Mrs. Manabe only stopped treating him that way when Kakeru openly rebelled.
- Aw, Look -- They Really Do Love Each Other: Kakeru teases his girlfriend a lot, but they really do love each other.
- Heroic Bastard: Son of a rich man and his lover.
- Hey, You: Claims this is one of his nicknames.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's impulsive and a bit flighty, but has a good heart. In fact, having told Quit Your Whining to Thoru during her mom's funeral and almost losing Komaki as a result still haunts him years later.
- One Side of the Story: Parodied.
- Ted Baxter
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Machi.
- Wacky Guy
Voiced by: Yukari Tamura (CD drama)
- Attention Whore: For men, at least.
- Gold Digger: A rare good-hearted version, as she doesn't use the gifts she gets for her own benefit but for the council's.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: Cute, vain, spoiled, popular with the boys, and intentionally antagonizes the Prince Yuki Fanclub but is otherwise pretty harmless to everyone else.
- Third Person Person
- Chew Toy
- The Comically Serious
- The Napoleon: And it doesn't help that Manabe's nickname for him is "Chibisuke."
- Only Sane Man - In his eyes, at least.
Prince Yuki's Fanclub
- Girl Posse: Minami Kinoshita, Mio Yamagichi, Mai Gotou and Rika Aida.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Their attitude towards whoever they perceive as a threat to Yuki: Tohru and later Kimi, specifically.
- Romantic Runner-Up: All of them, for Yuki.
- Unwanted Harem
- Alpha Bitch: The leader of the group who hates the kindhearted Tohru and plans to be rid of her.
- Hypocrite: She makes a passionate, jealousy-fueled outburst telling Tohru (who was not even present) to stay away from Yuki. She leaves to clear her head and realizes that the selfish fangirls she despises who want Yuki all to themselves have negative qualities that she sees in herself.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy
- Large Ham: And is passionate about it.
- Tongue-Tied: Simply cannot tell Yuki how much she likes him.
- Disappeared Dad: Who died in a car crash. And he actually was the driver who killed Kyoko, by accidentally hitting her with his car before crashing and perishing.
- Genki Girl
- Trademark Favorite Food: Meat!
- Tsundere: Lightly, to Kakeru. With an attitude like his, can you blame her?
- What the Hell, Hero?: To Kakeru, who told Tohru during Kyoko's funeral that she wasn't the only one who had lost a parent in the accident and that she was whiny and disgusting for openly grieving. Komaki was very pissed off when she found out and almost broke up with him, forcing him to apologize.
Mine Kuramae (Ayame's assistant)
- Ambiguous Situation: It's implied that she does know about the curse, or at least about something that's going on with the Sohmas. It's never really confirmed, however. When the curse breaks and Ayame hugs her, she's pretty tearful but doesn't seem THAT surprised...
- Cosplay Otaku Girl
- Meido/Elegant Gothic Lolita
- Tender Tears: When the newly-released Ayame is finally able to hug her in the manga.
Mayuko "Mayu-chan-sensei" Shiraki
Voiced by: Hitomi Nabatame (JPN, 2019 anime)
- Adapted Out: She did not appear in the 2001 anime.
- Christmas Cake: She's a 20-something unmarried school teacher.
- Cool Big Sis
- He Will Not Cry, So I Cry for Him" For Hatori's sake.
- Second Love: For Hatori. In fact, Mayu even felt bad for "taking Kana's place" in his heart at first.
- Stern Teacher
- Temporary Love Interest: To Shigure, but they broke it off after a month.
Mitsuru aka Mit-chan
Voiced by: Akemi Okamura (Playing Against Type, JPN), Chinatsu Akasaki (2019 anime, JPN)
- Adaptation Dye Job: She's a brunette in the first anime, but has purple-silver hair in the second one.
- Beleaguered Assistant: Well, editor, but Shigure just drives the poor woman crazy.
- Birds of a Feather: With Ritsu.
- Bi the Way: Word of God says that she neither knows, nor cares, if Ritsu is male or female.
- The Chew Toy: Comes with the territory of being Shigure's editor.
- Fragile Flower
- Nice Girl: When she's not running after Shigure or trying to commit suicide, she's a sweetie.
- Suicide as Comedy: When Tohru meets her, she's on the verge of killing herself with a box cutter because Shigure has run off without meeting his deadlines again. Later, we see her writing a suicide note to her parents for the exact same reason. Shigure thinks it's funny.
Other character tropes
- Dynamic Entry: Hatsuharu and Kagura.
- Dysfunction Junction: Everyone either has or had some major problems in their lives.
- Miniature Senior Citizens: Tohru's grandpa.
- Muggles: Everyone besides Hana, Megumi, and the Zodiac members.
- Posthumous Character: Akira, amongst other minor characters.
- Student Council President: Makoto Takei, before he graduates.
- Your Favorite: Tohru's grandfather brings it to her mother's grave.