|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Series of children's books by Arnold Lobel, concerning the adventures of Frog and Toad, who are friends.
The series consists of:
- Frog and Toad are Friends (1970) (Caldecott Honor award)
- Frog and Toad Together (1972) (Newbery Honor award)
- Frog and Toad All Year (1976)
- Days with Frog and Toad (1979)
There is a musical adaptation called A Year With Frog and Toad.
- A Dog Named "Dog"
- Barefoot Cartoon Animal: Frog and Toad wear jackets and trousers, but no shoes.
- Caretaker Reversal: In one of the books, Toad tries to cheer up Frog because he's sick. Frog gets better but then Toad gets sick and Frog takes care of him.
- Carnivore Confusion: Frog and Toad themselves are only shown eating human foods such as cookies, ice cream, and sandwiches. However, being eaten by predators is a legitimate fear for them.
- Civilized Animal: Frog and Toad live in human-like houses, wear clothes, and eat cookies and ice cream. However, they are also realistically scaled against other animals and objects in their environment, and fear predators such as snakes and hawks.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin
- Frogs and Toads
- Green Around the Gills:
Toad said, "Frog, you are looking quite green."
- Mouse World
- Obsessed Are the Listmakers: In "The List", a story in Frog and Toad Together, Toad makes a list of things to do and sticks to it so rigidly that when the wind blows the list away, he refuses to chase after it because chasing the list wasn't on his list of things to do.
- Talking Animal: Essentially all the other animals in the stories except Frog and Toad. May or may not simply be Animal Talk, as humans never show up in the series.