|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
1992 sci-fi film starring Emilio Estevez as Alex, Mick Jagger as Vacendak, Anthony Hopkins as McCandless and Renee Russo as The Chick. The film is a dystopic Cyberpunk film supposedly based on Immortality Inc by Robert Sheckley.
The plot revolves around Alex Furlong, a race-car driver in 1991 who, seconds before a horrific car crash that would kill him instantly, is transported to the far-flung and horrifically Dystopian Cyberpunk Polluted Wasteland future of... umm, New York 2009, where he discovers his body is to be harvested to ensure the survival of dying billionaire Ian McCandless, and must evade McCandless' mercenaries led by Vacendak.
- Acoustic License: Alex's drunken ranting is overheard by a newscrew from across the floor of a nightclub with pounding music. They then interview him at the bar with no problem.
- Chase Scene
- Church Militant: The sweary, blasphemous nun nicknamed Sister Mary Shotgun. Played by Amanda Plummer.
- Fanservice Extra: A girl walks by in a bar whose "shirt" consists of a few small tattoos.
- Grand Theft Me: McCandless has Alex kidnapped for this purpose.
- I Lied: Delivered with scene-chewing glee by Mick Jagger.
- I Want My Jetpack: The setting is the far-off time of 2009.
- Inside a Computer System: Rich dead people's death is postponed for three days by planting their consciouness into "The Spiritual Switchboard".
- Mercy Lead: Vacendak gives Alex a five minute start when he saves Vacendak's life.
- Missing Trailer Scene: The trailer features alternative takes; including one where Alex and Julie don't realize that Michelette's men are going to shoot them when their elevator arrives into the lobby.
- Never Found the Body: Alex's status when he is taken from the past, much to his manager Carter's dismay as he couldn't collect the life insurance out of him.
- Noble Demon: Vacendak.
- One Bullet Left: When Alex and Julie realize that Michelette's men are going to kill them when their elevator arrives at the lobby, Alex notes that he has only one bullet. He then jokes if their killer's could go into a line.
- One-Scene Wonder: The Eagle Man, aka the "river rat guy", who talks to Alex when he rises from the river.
- Showing Off the New Body: When McCandless' mind is downloaded onto Alex Furlong's body. Though Alex is just faking it.
- Taking You with Me: Fatally wounded Boone blows himself up, taking several mercanires with him.
- Time Travel Escape: Alex is taken from the timestream moments before his historical death in a horrific car crash, so no one would miss him. Of course, Alex is hardly being "rescued" so much as "harvested", but the net result is the same.
- Trailers Always Spoil
- Turn the Other Cheek: "The Good Lord always says to turn the other cheek." *Groin Attack* "But he never had to deal with dickheads like you."
- Twenty Minutes Into the Future: Funnily enough, 2009 looks far more like The Eighties than the turn of the millennium. Particularly when looking at the hairdos of the extras.
- Wanted Poster: Inevitably, a gigantic electronic one on the side of a skyscraper.
- We Will Have Euthanasia in the Future: An advertisement for Dial A Suicide can be seen at one stage.
- Wisdom from the Gutter: Alex gets a pep talk from a homeless bum. As you do.