|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Freedom Writers is a 2007 drama based on a non-fiction book about a young teacher thrown into a class of at-risk students during the L.A. Riots of 1992. She's given an integrated class, which seems anything but, as each race sits with others of their kind. As the story progresses, the integrated class becomes what it was meant to be. The name comes from the fact the students are given diaries to write whatever they want in, that can be private or read by the teacher. They write about their family situations, their feelings, and being at-risk teens, the diaries are full of Angst.
This film/book contains examples of:
- Determinator: Two words: Erin Gruwell.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Dolores Umbridge is up to her old tricks as the head teacher- and the movies came out in the same year.
- Not to mention McDreamy as Erin's husband.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Ursula is Miep Gies. No, really. NO, REALLY.
- Godwin's Law: A particularly epic subversion. Erin grabs a note while it's being passed, to discover it's one student's racist caricature of another. This is actually somewhat mild, considering many of the students spend their free time KILLING EACH OTHER in gang warfare. Gruwell spots the apt Nazi parallel, milks it for all it's worth, bakes it 'till it's cheesy, and shoves it down the students' throats. Massive group racial tolerance ensues
- Hot Librarian: Well, Erin Gruwell is played by Hilary Swank...
- Inner-City School
- Jive Turkey: The gang-speak of the students.
- Not So Different: The students. Shown especially with Eva and Sindy during the scene when they get ready to go out. Also done on purpose by Erin Gruwell with the 'line game.'
- The Pollyanna: Erin goes through some hard times, but she continues on with a smile.
- Precision F-Strike: An extremely jarring example coming from a teacher. (after Andre gives himself an F)
Andre: It's what I feel I deserve, that's all.
Erin Gruwell: Oh really?
Erin Gruwell: You know what this is? This is a big FUCK YOU to me and everyone in this class. I don't want excuses. I know what you're up against. We're all of us up against something. So you better make up your mind, because until you have the balls to look me straight in the eye and tell me this is all you deserve, I am not letting you fail. Even if that means coming to your house every night until you finish the work. I see who you are. Do you understand me? I can see you. And you are not failing.
- Save Our Students: The point of the film.
- Totally Radical: When Erin attempts to talk like her students.
- Troubled but Cute: Several of Erin's students.