|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
No, it's not a Word Salad Title, but neither does it actually describe what happens in the show.
In 1979, Fred and Barney Meet the Thing was an hourlong Saturday morning cartoon on NBC in which, ironically, neither Fred Flintstone nor Barney Rubble ever met the Thing. It consisted of a half-hour of The Flintstones and a half-hour of The Thing. Eventually it was expanded to 90 minutes with the addition of a half-hour Shmoo segment, at which point the title of the show was changed to the equally inaccurate Fred and Barney Meet the Shmoo (although it did happen in the "Bedrock Cops" shorts on The Flintstone Comedy Show).
The Flintstones segment consisted of episodes of the late 1970s spinoff The New Fred and Barney Show, a series of new half-hour Flintstones stories told in a style somewhat closer to the original series versus the previous few spinoffs (i.e., Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm were depicted as toddlers instead of as teenagers).
The Thing, which was loosely based on the character of the same name from Marvel Comics' Fantastic Four series, followed the adventures of young Benjy Grimm. His magic ring would transform him into a rock-covered monster whenever he touched the two halves together and said, "Thing Ring, do your thing," a particularly cheesy example of By the Power of Greyskull. This was quite a departure from the original character, Ben Grimm, an adult test pilot who was transformed permanently into the rocky-skinned Thing after having been exposed to cosmic rays.
Even the staff who worked on this barely believe this show existed.
This inaccurately named show contains examples of:
- Beach Episode: "Beach Party Crashers"
- Cryptid Episode: One of the first episodes is "Bigfoot Meets the Thing".
- Eye Pop: Shmoo in "The Return of Dracula" episode of The New Shoo, when he sees the episode's titular vampire heading towards him and Billy Joe.
- Gratuitous Spanish: Naturally, since Nita is Latina, she occasionally makes Spanish comments.
- Marilyn Maneuver: Nita in The New Shmoo episode, "The Terror of The Trolls". After she tries to stop the Troll King's escape by motorboat with a lasso, he manages to drive off. As she holds onto the rope tightly, she's dragged across the surface of water and the motion gives her skirt an updraft. She crouches to avoid revealing too much and her panties are briefly exposed, and seen from the side.
- Ms. Fanservice: Nita.
- The New Adventures: The New Fred and Barney Show and The New Shmoo.
- Panty Shot: Nita in The New Shmoo episode, "Monster Island". This occurs when she and Mickey are lassoed, and pulled up to the top of a cliff. Then yanked to the top and as this happens, in a blink-and-miss-it moment, she gives a quick flash and frontal view to the camera of her Kelly green panties, which match her skirt.
- She has another in "The Terror of The Trolls". See Marilyn Maneuver above.
- Picnic Episode: "Picnic Panic"
- Plucky Girl: Nita.
- The Chick: Nita.
- The Determinator: Nita, Mickey, and Shmoo.
- Two Guys and a Girl: Mickey, Billy Joe and Nita from The New Shmoo.
- You Meddling Kids: Averted. Neither this line nor any other variation of it is ever said by any of the criminals in this series.