|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
A Story created by ladygem for NaNoWriMo 2009. Although I won NaNo the story grew out of control and is as of yet unfinnished. I promise I won't go adding examples from it on the main page, but I thought it would be fun to have a page here all the same.
What's it about? Weeeell I havn't really decided if its an Urban Fantasy with a lot of Action and Romance tropes or a Romance with a lot of Action and Urban Fantasy tropes. Suffice to say it involves people with superpowers, prissoners of war, plots to take over the world...OF COURSE!, and True Love.
The plot follows young Aiden McBride, a soldier for one of two superpowered factions that have been duking it out for centuries about whether to help and protect the normal humans, (Normies) or enslave them. Aiden works for the first group, lead by a wise old man named Primus. He is captured by enemy tropes which is how he first meets Melody Volkov-Walker, the granddaughter of Ivan, the leader of the opposing side. As they get to know each other, they find themselves falling in love and plot to escape Ivan's clutches and defeat him once and for all.
This work contains examples of:
- Action Girl- Melody and Tsura especially at the end, also almost any female with powers
- Affably Evil- Ivan seems like this, untill you refuse to go along with him.
- All Your Powers Combined / Reality Warper- Why Ivan, and the rest of the Volkov clan, Melody included are so feared
- Badass Normal- Melody's brother, Theo, despite being the only one in the family without powers,and in a wheelchair to boot, can still hold his own in a fight
- Battle Couple Aiden/Melody
- Being Tortured Makes You Evil- Ivan tries this on Melody and Aiden, all it does is turn Melody into The Starscream and make Aiden that much more determined to stop him
- Beware the Nice Ones- Aiden, Theo, Tsura, and Melody
- Big Screwed-Up Family- the Volkov clan. Full stop.
- Bi the Way- Melody
- Big Sister Instinct- Melody to Theo, and to an extent, Tsura
- Blond Guys Are Evil- Guess what color hair Ivan has
- But Not Too Foreign- Melody and Theo are half- Russian, and the story mostly takes place in Russia, but they were born and raised in America
- Broken Bird- Melody, Good God Melody
- Calling the Old Man Out- Melody does this to Ivan at the end
- Capulet Counterpart/ Mad Scientist's Beautiful Daughter- Melody
- Child Soldiers- Melody is the just plain tragic type
- Dark and Troubled Past- pretty much everyone really
- Eyes of Gold - All the Volkovs have them
- Femme Fatale- Melody
- Fiery Redhead/ Heroes Want Redheads Melody
- Forgotten Childhood Friend- played with, at the end it's revealed that Melody's best friends from childhood were working for the good guys
- Good Bad Girl Melody
- Good Catholic- Aiden
- Heel Face Turn- Theo about a chapter or so after Melody does, and most of the other mooks at the end
- High Heel Face Turn- Melody and Tsura
- James Bondage- poor Aiden, he spends most of the book as a POW
- Mama Bear- Do NOT hurt Theo or Tsura on Melody's watch if you value your life
- The Messiah- Aiden
- Morality Chain- until Aiden came along, Theo and Tsura were the only people stoping Melody from becoming just as evil as Ivan
- Playing with Fire- Aiden's power
- Promotion to Parent- Melody after Ivan kills her and Theo's parents
- Raised by Orcs all of the younger members of Ivan's team who aren't legacies (and even some who are, such as the Walkers), were kidnapped shortly after their powers manifested and forced to work for him.
- Romani Tsura and her family
- Russian Guy Suffers Most- Melody and Theo are half-Russian, and they have the most suffering and pain in their backstory, hands down
- The Starscream- Melody has some elements of this at the begining
- Screw the Rules, I Have Supernatural Powers- Why Ivan wants to take over the world