|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
The trope of using "Franken-" as a prefix to any other word, to indicate an unnatural abomination of the same. Particularly (but not always) one that involves re-animation of dead X, recycling of body parts from dead X, or combining parts of X and Y in a way that is considered wrong. May imply Science Is Bad.
Some blame the creators of the work for not realizing (I Am Not Shazam) that Frankenstein is the name of the creator/scientist who created the monster, said monster's name being Adam. Others see "Franken X" as meaning X combined in a manner like that used by Frankenstein.
No, this trope does not mean that "Frankenstein" is actually an unnatural abomination of lidded drink mugs.
- The very early Tim Burton film Frankenweenie
- "Frankenfood", a term used to describe genetically modified food. Guess which side of the debate coined it.
- Franken Fran
- The SpongeBob SquarePants episode "Frankendoodle" (although the character it refers to is called "DoodleBob").
- Franken Fish from the Sci Fi Channel.
- Frankenstrat, Eddie Van Halen's custom-made guitar.
- Limone's sewn-together plush in Simoun earned the Fan Nickname "Frankenplush" for its appearance.
- Dr. Frank-N-Furter from The Rocky Horror Picture Show is a rare case that avoids I Am Not Shazam. Frank is the mad scientist, Rocky Horror is his creation.
- Veggie Tales once featured a horror movie called "Franken-Celery" that caused Jr. Asparagus to lose sleep.
- Frankenchokey in Invader Zim, although only briefly mentioned in passing. The Paranormal Investigator Dib was paired with for Career Day claimed he was "a real Franken-thingie."
- Frankenbike: a bicycle constructed from found and/or scavenged parts mainly so one has something to ride.
- Frankenputer: similar to Frankenbike, a computer made up of spare parts from dead computers and/or leftovers from upgrades of other computers. Often found in a Hacker Cave.
- Frankentetris: nickname for Tetris the Grand Master ACE, whose rules are a mix of traditional TGM rules and the Super Rotation System rules that TGM fans consider to be Executive Meddling.
- FrankenBill. A mixture of Frank and Bill found in the zombie island DLC.
- Mikey calls Baxter Stockman "Dr. Stockman-stein" after seeing his attempt to reassemble himself.
- Franken-Castle. That is, until he was resurrected, after all, Status Quo Is God.
- The Dead Kennedys album Frankenchrist.
- The Angry Video Game Nerd once created Frankennerd for a Halloween Special. Eventually, the shitty games made him go crazy.
- Frankengirl, Justin Russo's self-built robot roommate.
- Frankenbite: a sound bite created through Quote Mining.