|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Computer games are mindless and violent. This is even better.
You are a fierce warrior. You are trying to kill your opponents with anything you can get your hands on. Unfortunately, they are all trying to do the same thing. Frag is a violent, bloody, mindless video game...on a board. Made by Steve Jackson of Munchkin fame, Frag pits you against your buddies in a brutal battle for ultimate dominance. Available weapons include chainsaws, machine guns, energy rifles, flamethrowers, and a nuclear bomb. Seriously.
This game provides examples of:
- AFGNCAAP: The newest edition has six characters that look exactly alike in AFGNCAAP armor.
- Ammunition Backpack: Of course. There's a backpack card that lets you carry more weapons, and flamethrowers have a fuel tank in their illustration.
- An Axe to Grind: The shotgun card depicts the gun with a bloodstained axe on the barrel. Sadly, you can't use it, but it looks nice.
- BFG: And plenty of them: machine guns, assault cannons, shotguns, and missile launchers.
- Bigger Stick: Most guns have a larger counterpart, usually with a prefix "heavy" or "assault".
- Blown Across the Room: The expansion introduces knockback, which is Exactly What It Says on the Tin: any weapon (even pistols) that do a certain amount of damage throw you back a number of spaces. If the weapon itself doesn't kill you, any contact with walls or other players can easily kill you (and them).
- Bottomless Magazines: Literally, with your starting pistol. It never runs dry. Averted with everything else, since all other guns have limited ammo. Even the energy weapons.
- Chainsaw Good
- Cool Guns: Tons of them. And you get to use them all.
- Exploding Barrels: In the expansion.
- Fire-Breathing Weapon: Flamethrowers.
- Gatling Good
- Handguns: Starter pistol and beam pistols.
- Hand Cannon: Quite literally. One of the deadliest weapons in the game is the Assault Cannon. And its larger counterpart, Heavy Assault Cannon.
- Instant Marksman, Just Squeeze Trigger: Averted in the sense that getting a sniper rifle does not instantly makes you a great sniper. Even the sniper rifle, which drops the distance down to 10 squares, still requires a fairly high accuracy roll to shoot accurately.
- Lightning Gun: Particularly the assault rifle called the Lightning Blaster.
- Little Useless Gun: The starter pistol. It appears to be useless at first glance, but further examination shows that it can be fairly deadly. While it's nothing special compared to the other weapons in the game, it has unlimited ammo and it can be devastating to people with low health.
- More Dakka: Machine gun, Needler, Lightning Blaster.
- One-Hit Polykill: Averted. Bullets do not go through your enemies into other characters, all but eliminating double frags. They can, however, be achieved with two shots in one turn or knocking an opponent into another opponent.
- Shoot Out the Lock: Somewhat. On one map, you have to shoot a lever on an island in lava to unlock the door.
- Shotguns Are Just Better: The shotgun and Assault Shotgun have powerful attacks, especially at close range.
- Spread Shot: Shotguns and Assault Shotguns do damage to anything within a radius of the main target.
- Taking You with Me: A card called "Parting Shot" allows the killed player to get off one more shot to try to bring down their killer.
- Video Game Flamethrowers Suck: Averted. The flamethrowers of Frag deal massive damage to anything they hit. In fact, it's the third-most-powerful weapon in the game. Only the Portable Nuke and Heavy Assault Cannon do more damage with one hit. The Missile Launcher does the same amount of damage.
- The energy weapons can be "burned" and use more ammo in one shot, to do more damage than a flamethrower.
- When this talks about damage, it refers to the number of dice rolled to determine damage, not the actual amount of damage done. The Portable Nuke uses 9 dice, the Heavy Assault Cannon uses 7 dice, and the Missile Launcher and Flamethrower use 6.