|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
How do you show that your pet is special? When you want to go above and beyond a normal pet name, a formal title is the easiest way to add some sophistication. He's not just Fluffernutter, he's Mister Fluffernutter! You can usually expect such a pet to be a little lap dog or a pampered kitty. However, they may occasionally be horrible giant scary monsters, so beware.
Often overlaps with Mister Muffykins. The Right-Hand-Cat is often a Formally-Named Pet. Likewise in pet-related cases of Consulting Mister Puppet. How Not to Write A Novel mentions this as something that is overdone.
- In this ad for Petsmart, a man has an unseen pet named Mr. Barkey von Schnauzer.
Anime & Manga
- Mr. Tadakichi from Azumanga Daioh.
- Mister Soichiro from Maison Ikkoku.
- In the English version of Ranma ½, Kodachi's pet is "Mr. Green Turtle". And no, it isn't a turtle but a huge crocodile.
- Sakamoto from Nichijou tries to be this, insisting on "-san" being added to his name. Nano complies, the Professor does not.
- Sarasa's Big Friendly Dog Antoinette Ghandi XIII in Lime-iro Senkitan.
- In Axis Powers Hetalia, Iceland's pet puffin is appropriately named Mr. Puffin.
- B.A.'s cat in Knights of the Dinner Table is Colonel Prowler.
- Mr. Bun, Suzie's stuffed rabbit from Calvin and Hobbes.
Films -- Live-Action
- Mr. Bigglesworth from Austin Powers.
- Mr. Tinkles, the cat villain of Cats and Dogs.
- Big Fat Liar: Movie producer Marty Fox has a stuffed monkey named Mister Funnybones to which he's... oddly attached.
- True Grit: The cat's name is General Sterling Price, after the American Civil War general of the same name.
- Mr. Smith in The Awful Truth
- Harry Potter: Filch has a pet cat, Mrs. Norris.
- In the Discworld book Making Money, Topsy Lavish (née Turvy)'s dog and eventual chairman of the bank is named Mr. Fusspot.
- Peter S. Beagle's Tamsin features a cat simply named Mister Cat.
- From T. S. Eliot Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats (and thus also from Cats), the magical Mr. Mistoffelees (the only one of all the cats in the book/musical to be named that way).
- In The Dresden Files, Harry Dresden's cat is named simply Mister.
- Pippi Longstocking has her little monkey, Mr. Nilsson.
- In A Song of Ice and Fire, Tommen has kittens named Ser Pounce and Lady Whiskers (and another named Boots).
- On The Dick Van Dyke Show, Sally's cat is named Mr. Henderson.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Willow and Tara get a cat and name it "Miss Kitty Fantastico". The cat later disappears without mention. It's brought up later, when Dawn implies in a quick aside that the cat was killed in a household cross-bow accident.
- Drusilla's dog is "Ms. Sunshine."
- Mr. Muggles, the Pomeranian from Heroes.
- The Drew Carey Show: Drew and Lewis bribe Oswald into voting to sell Buzz Beer by giving him a bunny. Oswald immediately names it Commander Bun-Bun and starts to act like a Diabolical Mastermind with a Right-Hand-Cat.
- Brittany on Glee has a cat named Lord Tubbington.
- Sex and the City: Carrie's book reading is interrupted by the appearance of one Mr. Winkle, a real celebrity dog, who has a book of his own, which he's signing (by putting his paw print on it).
- When Leonard is considering getting a cat in The Big Bang Theory, one of the names he's thinking about is "Colonel Fuzzyboots".
- My Name Is Earl: Darnell's turtle is named Mr. Turtle.
- In one episode Joy & Darnell - an interracial couple - interact with a reverse-color interracial couple, Liberty & Ray-Ray. Liberty is Joy's half sister. Ray-Ray has a bearded dragon (a type of lizard) he calls Mr. Bearded Dragon.
- In Friends, Mr Heckles pretends he has a cat named Mister Bob Buttons.
- Rachel bought a hairless cat she named "Mrs. Whiskerson" because she can't call her "Fluffy".
- On Degrassi, Fiona's ex-girlfriend has a cat named Mr. Tuxedo-Pants.
- On Psych, Shawn's cat's name is Chairman Meow.
- In Jessie, Ravi's pet water monitor lizard is named "Mr. Kipling".
- Bioshock: Little Sisters call their pet Big Daddy "Mr. Bubbles".
- In Tales of Monkey Island, Hemlock McGee has a cat named Miss Prettywhiskers.
- If you give Anders a cat in Dragon Age: Awakening, he names it Ser Pounce-a-lot.
- In Chapel Chronicles, Chapel's pet hedgehog is named Sir Rupert Tennyson Bollingsworth the First
- In Eerie Cuties an ancient vampire queen had a kitty named Mr. Boodles.
- Jarad has a pet Gyarados named Mr. Fish in Manly Guys Doing Manly Things.
- Housepets has at least 10 cats called Mr Bigglesworth, due to their owner being a Crazy Cat Lady. They all look the same, though they're not related and some are female. They occasionally mess with other pets who don't know there's more than one.
- John in Homestuck names Rose's mutant cat Dr. Meowgon Spengler, not knowing that she has already named him Vodka Mutini.
- Mr. Scruffy, Lord Shojo's cat in Order of the Stick. He gained a canine Evil Counterpart within the Linear Guild with Sir Scraggly.
- There's also Mr. Stiffly, the Monster in the Darkness' name for O-Chul. He counts because he got the name while the MITD was using his paralyzed body like a stuffed animal for his make-believe tea party.
- Sluggy Freelance: After surviving a horrible explosion, Bun-Bun temporarily loses his memory and is adopted by a family that renames him Mr. Fuzbutt.
- Raven's cat in El Goonish Shive refers to himself as Mr. Fuzzball although according to Raven his name is actually Max.
- At one point, Helen from Narbonic tries to control the insane, super-intelligent gerbils she's created with an adorable kitten named Sir Pounce after eating several gerbils, he gets strapped to a bomb, blown up, and sent to Hell.
- Nick's pet raccoon in Samurai Princess is named Mr. Fluffycuddles.
- TVTV 's Expy of Frankenstein's Monster has "Mr. Stiffy", a very, very dead cat.
- In one episode of Commodore HUSTLE, "Rarelywinter", Kathleen suggests naming a defeated dragon, "Sir Burns-A-Lot". Graham translates this to Jer as, "Kathleen can't think of anything either."
- The Venture Brothers. The Monarch keeps the taxidermied corpse of his old cat, Mister Mostly Mittens, in his dining room. Apparently, it had three white paws and one not-white paw (hence "mostly").
- Mr Cool, the Fonz's dog, from The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang.
- Ms Lion from Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends.
- Mr Cat from Kid vs. Kat.
- In Dan Vs. "The Animal Shelter", Dan takes home a kitten and names it Mr. Mumbles.
- Mr. Kitty, Eric Cartman's pet cat from South Park.
- Mr. Garrison's toys/pets Mr. Hat, Mr. Twig, and Mr. Slave.
- In one episode Paris Hilton comes to South Park and tries to buy Butters from his parents to be her new pet; she renames him Mr. Biggles.
- Mr. Twitches, Lizzie's pet cat from Tinkerbell and The Great Fairy Rescue
- Mr. Pettibone, Goofy's pet cat in Mickey Mouse Works, House of Mouse, and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
- Mr. Whiskers, the rabbit from Brandy and Mr. Whiskers (although not a pet).
- Mr. Puffy Fluffy from SpongeBob SquarePants.
- Phineas and Ferb
- Doofenshmirtz took in a cat and named it Mr. Fluffypants, after his uncle Fluffypants.
- In another episode, Candace had a bunny that she called Mr. Cutie Patootie. Turned out he was a rogue OWCA agent trying to find Perry's lair.
- Word Girl: Captian Huggyface. Although it's hard to say whether or not he's actually a pet.
- On The Simpsons Nelson's cat is Mr. Mooch and Moe's cat is Mr. Snookums.
- Mrs. Boots from Slacker Cats. A Running Gag is Eddie pushing her Berserk Button by continually asking where Mr. Boots is.
- On Family Guy, Peter is revealed in a Cutaway Gag to have once had a goldfish named Lieutenant Shinysides.