|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
A 2012 manga.
Yukihira Souma is a 15-year old boy obsessed in being a best chef than his father. After being defeated 489 times in cooking duels with his father, he isn't that DAMN good yet. To make matters worse, his father decides to close his shop to cook overseas for two to three years. To compensate for the fact that his son will not be able to measure his abilities against him for all this time, his father decides to put him in a elite cooking school where less than 10% of the students graduate. He also tries to tell his son what the secret behind becoming a good chief, but his son hungs up before he can hear: "to meet a woman that will make you want to give all the food you make to her".
Written by Yūto Tsukuda. Illustrated by Shun Saeki. Published on Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump.
- Adorkable: Sort of desconstructed with Megumi. Being clumsy makes her adorable but it's also a flaw she must overcome to not be kicked out of cooking school.
- Ambiguously Gay: Chapter 2. When Erina offers Hinako a dish she made, roses suddenly appears on the panel where she is touching the girl, implying some kind...of affection from Hinako'a part.
- Ambiguous Ending: Chapter 315.It ends with Souma promising one day he will make food that Erina will praise out loud, leaving that thread open on that point.
- Blessed with Suck: How Erina's grandpa see her special ability of "God's Tongue". It ensures that almost all food she tastes will taste awful to her.
- The Faceless: We don't see Souma's mother's eyes on the family picture.
- Five Second Foreshadowing: In the panel just after Souma's father hints at what Souma's future wife will probably be(since he is obviously referring to Souma's mother and himself), the audience is introduced to Erina Nakiri (though she is only referred as "Oujou-Sama" in the first chapter).
- Jerkass: Erina is too rude with people that fail to suit her tastes.
- Perpetual Frowner: Roland Chapelle is said to never smile. Souma finally mamanges to make food that makes him smile of happiness in Chapter 5.
- Regal Ringlets: A unnamed female character in chapter 4 have this hairstyle.
- Ship Tease: This manga probably deserves an award for ship-teasing a ship not only before she exists, but before we were even introduced to one of the characters! Souma's father Jouichirou hints who Souma's wife will be and just after we're introduced to Erina, who isn't even named.
- The Dreaded: Cooking students cower in fear at vision of Erina's grandfather, solely because he is such a powerful figure in the japanese cooking industry.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: Ikumi Mito in her cooking attire.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Erina wears a grade B in her school uniform.