The Loop (TV)
Do you like this video?
|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Basic Trope: Humanity encounters an intelligent alien species for the first time.
- Straight: The crew of the starship Lazarus arrives in their destination solar system and picks up coherent radio signals from one of the planets.
- Exaggerated: ...and then from another ... and another ... and another...
- Downplayed: SETI picks up a radio signal from several light years away, and starts sending radio signals in response.
- Justified: The crew exobiologist explains that life is likely to evolve everywhere that human beings would find habitable in the universe.
- Inverted: An alien species completely vanishes from the universe, never to be encountered again.
- Subverted: As the Lazarus closes in on the planet, they discover that it is actually Earth.
- Double Subverted: ...millions of years after World War Three, when a new species has replaced humanity.
- Parodied: A crew of geeks looking to see if intelligent life may be found in a biker bar after they get a response to a message they sent to there in a parody of SETI.
- Deconstructed: The alien species is so radically different from humanity that no communication or understanding is possible.
- Reconstructed: The radical differences between the humans and the aliens are not unbridgeable thanks to convergent evolution, and so both species can gain great benefits from their interactions.
- Zig Zagged: Two Human Subspecies from long-separated lineages encounter for the first time.
- Averted: Absent Aliens.
- Enforced: The story is being written for a collection of first-contact novellas.
- Lampshaded: "I don't believe it! To find extraterrestrial life on our first voyage out of the solar system ... it's fantastic!"
- Invoked: The Lazarus was sent to its target solar system because spectral analysis of the planet indicated the presence of life.
- Exploited: The ship exobiologist uses First Contact as an excuse to seize control of the ship.
- Defied: The Lazarus immediately leaves the solar system when the signals are discovered.
- Discussed: "In the event of possible alien contact, starship crews are advised to proceed with extreme caution. Standard protocols are listed in Appendix L of The Terran Science Fleet Manual."
- Conversed: "What kind of aliens do you think they'll turn out to be?"
Back to First Contact
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.