|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
- Action Girl: Female Byleth, of the Lady of War type.
- Badass Teacher: An instructor in the Academy, and quite the leader and fighter.
- Badass Bisexual: Can have some love interests of either gender. (Female Byleth has more same-sex options than Male Byleth, though).
- Bare Your Midriff: Female Byleth's outfit exposes her belly button.
- Bi the Way: Byleth can marry anyone of the opposite gender, plus some people of his/her matching one.
- Boobs of Steel: As seen from her 3D model and especially from her loungewear shirt, Female Byleth is bustier than every single female student in the Monastery bar none - including the incredibly curvaceous Dorothea and Hilda. She's also every bit as strong as male Byleth, able to lift the massive Sword of the Creator over her shoulder one-handed.
- Character Customization: More limited than before: the player will only be able to choose whether Byleth's a guy or a girl, plus their name.
- Emotionless Person: While not completely unfeeling, Byleth has shown next to no open emotions ever since they were a child, even though their father can easily read their expressions and decode them. Becoming an instructor stats unlocking their missing feelings and making them stronger...
- Hidden Buxom: Female Byleth has bigger boobs than Dorothea and Hilda, even after the Time Skip, where they've grown bigger and she's stayed the same. Still, the brooch on her necklace is big enough to downplay her Boobs of Steel; seeing her in her loungewear shirt or in concept art where the necklace is missing shows just how well-stacked the young lady is.
- Missing Mom: According to some talks with Jeralt, she went the Death by Childbirth way. It's more complicated than it seems, however: Mrs. Eisner once was a test subject for Crest experiments, and when baby!Byleth seemingly was a stillborn, she asked Rhea to take the crest from her body and place it in the baby's to save him/her, even when it'd kill her.
- Pretty Boy: Male Byleth, oh yeah.
- Teacher-Student Romance: Subverted, it seems s/he will be able to romance their students... post-Time Skip, when they are NOT his/her pupils any longer. Plus Byleth him/herself seems to be in his/her late teens / maybe VERY early 20's, so the age gap between them and their students isn't as big as it could be.
- The Last of These Is Not Like The Others: Byleth is an experienced protagonist who lived life as a mercenary unlike the vast majority of the Fire Emblem Lords who all start out as royalty (except for Ike). Physically, Male Byleth is also very large and physically imposing, whereas most male Lords have been fairly average in terms of their frame (again, except for Ike). Female Byleth is also shown to canonically be both extremely strong, and incredibly curvaceous and busty. All other female Lords are either fairly slender like Lucina and Micaiah, or moderately endowed like Lyn, but generally don't show extreme physical strength like Byleth does.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: As seen above, their hair is dark blue. After the Time Skip, it has become light green.
- Antiquated Linguistics: Seems to talk like an old woman.
- Bi the Way: Even when she is, well, a vision and a voice in Byleth's head, she can romance him/her.
- Big Good: Sort-of, as she appears via rescuing Byleth and then helps him/her out with her Time Master powers.
- Cute Monster Girl: The archetypical "cute girl with pointy ears and who seems to be a dragon" type of character that ladies like Tiki and Myrrh codified before her.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: She's afflicted with this, unable to clearly remember anything but her own name.
- Little Miss Snarker: This young-looking lady can deal the snark really, really well.
- Mysterious Waif: Only Byleth can see her, she seems to have lost her memories, and she's quite the enigma. It turns out she's a the ghost of mysterious Goddess that the Church of Seiros worships and honors. Why is she amnesiac and unable to show herself to others aside of Byleth? It's because she (and her children aka the Namatea) died a long time ago at the hands of Nemesis, which caused her daughter Seiros to go completely crazy with pain and start the War that led to the actual history and current state of Fódlan. Byleth him/herself is her Reincarnation, though Sothis believes they're not the same person and refuses to take his/her body for herself to use him/her as their Soul Jar and new host body.
- Time Master: She can rewind time with her powers, not unlike in Echoes' with Mila's Turnwheel.
- Token Mini-Moe: She looks like a very young girl, unique between a cast of mostly teenagers.
Adrestian Empire / Black Eagles
Edelgard von HraesvelgrThe leader of the Black Eagles and Crown Princess of the Adrestian Empire. She's said to be cool-minded and calculating, and she blames the crests for the weak peace in the continent.
- An Axe to Grind: Her Weapon of Choice.
- Badass Princess: The princess of Adrestia is no slouch on the battlefield.
- Bastard Bastard <- -> Anti-Heroic Bastard: Her father is Emperor Ionius IX. Her mother Patricia was his mistress.
- Bi the Way: After the Time Skip, she can marry Byleth... no matter his/her gender. Additionally, she and the also bisexual Dorothea discuss the idea of maybe marrying one another in their B support, and several of her shared endings with other women are very... shippy.
- Boobs of Steel: She fights with an axe, and the Time Skip images show that she actually has a rather large chest.
- Broken Bird: Due to her Dark and Troubled Past, Edelgard has... issues.
- Childhood Friends: She and Dimitri, since she lived in Faerghus for a while when they were kids. It falls apart completely when she's revealed to be the Flame Emperor
- Dark and Troubled Past: Edelgard was taken away from Adrestia and into Faerghus by her uncle when she was a little girl. Said uncle and others, led by Ferdinand's father the Duke of Aeghir, led a rebellion (known as the Insurrection of the Seven) against Edelgard's father, Emperor Ionius X; while they did not kill him, they did strip him of lots of his power, and the Duke became the Man Behind the Man. She and her mother Patricia stayed in Faerghus, and Patricia even became its Queen Consort via marrying King Lambert... but some time after Edelgard returned home on her own, Patricia was murdered in the Tragedy of Duscur.. AND for worse... outta eleven Royal Children from Adrestia, she's the ninth... and the only one who didn't either die or go mad over the painful and dangerous experiments to give all of them Crests. Edelgard, needless to say, is NOT happy about all of this.
- Final Boss: At the very least, she fulfills this role by transforming into a monster at the end of the Blue Lions route.
- Hair Decorations: Blue-purple ribbons at first, then a golden horned diadem.
- Implied Love Interest: In her route. Even more, she's strongly implied to fall for either Byleth even in other routes.
- Kicking Ass in All Her Finery: Unlike Dimitri, Edelgard has become more regal and elegant after the Time Skip, what with her pulling up her hair in Odangos and wearing a red Battle Ballgown.
- Lady in Red: Averted: red is her signature color, but as far as one's aware she shows no personality traits associated with the trope.
- Lady of War: And how.
- The Leader: Of the Black Eagles, though in a subversion she still has Byleth as her leader.
- The Ojou: Seems to belong in the Ice Queen and Proper Lady types.
- The Stoic: According to her description she's pretty cool-headed, dignified and calculating. She turns out to be more emotional than one would think. however.
- The Ugly Guy's Hot Daughter: Edelgard's father the Emperor is not a Gonk, but has rather creepy looks. She, on the other hand, is gorgeous.
- The Woman Wearing the Queenly Mask: In her route she becomes a ruthless, ambitious leader willing to do anything for her goals, but deep down she's aware that the path she walks on will be full of blood and hardships and isn't happy about it.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: This young woman has been horribly traumatized and hardened due to her Dark and Troubled Past, and as a consequence she has decided to do everything in her power destroy the influence of the Crests and the Church of Seiros. Heck, if she has to invade and overthrow other Fodlan countries to make sure this will take place? She will.
- White-Haired Pretty Girl: A beautiful young woman with silvery hair. She actually was a brunette, but the Crest experiments made her hair go white.
- Unrequited Tragic Maiden: If the Crimson Flower/Black Eagles/her route isn't chosen, she can be easily seen as one to the Byleths. Especially in Silver Snow/Church of Seiros/Rhea's path and/or Verdant Green/Golden Deer/Claude's, since she tells Byleth to kill her personally and, as s/he lowers her/his sword to strike her down, she says that her biggest wish was to walk forward by his/her side.
Bernadetta von Varley
A young girl from the Black Eagles, who wields the minor Crest of Saint Indech. She's the only daughter of the Varley Dukedom.
- Abusive Parent: Her dad, the current Duke of Varley, is one HELL of an overbearing parent to Bernadetta. She states that among other things he'd tie her up to a chair for long times to to shape her into a completely submissive child that he'd be able to marry off to someone else. It's also implied that either him or both parents beat her.
- Adrenaline Makeover: Goes through a big one after the Time Skip, judging by her more revealing clothes, her use of earrings and her more mature hairstyle. She seems to still be shy and awkward, though.
- The Archer: Her speciality, regarding weapons. She can be raised to be a more than decent Horse Archer.
- Arranged Marriage: Almost went through one with Ferdinand.
- Cute Bookworm: She likes things like reading, drawing, embroidery and music.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Her older self's hair is NOT messy at all, and she also adds some cute hairpins.
- Friendless Background: Bernadetta's stuck-up parents did not let her have friends, especially if said potential buddies were commoners. Despite her fears and shyness, she desperately wants to befriends others.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: She's also said to like plush dolls.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: With Male Byleth. Whether romanced or not, she seems to barely reach his chest.
- Ill Girl: Subverted, she pretends to be ill when she doesn't want to go out.
- Nervous Wreck - Not Good with People: Due to her messed-up upbringing, she hates interacting with others and leaving her safe spaces like her room. A big theme in her supports is her learning to Face Her Fears with help of her housemates
- Older Than They Look: At the start of the game, she's 17. She looks 13/14 tops.
- Shrinking Violet: With purple hair to match her very awkward and shy personality. It's also a bit of a Deconstructed Trope with her, since it comes from her harsh upbringing and, while sometimes Played for Laughs, it's also a genuine flaw that throws wrenches in her way.
Caspar von Bergliez
A boy from the Black Eagles, the second son of Count Bergliez.
- Ambiguously Bi: The fact that he and Linhardt can set off in a years-long travel together if they have a shared ending has not been missed by the fans.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: The trailer has him using the new Gauntlets weapon.
- Childhood Friends: Him and Linhardt
- Hot-Blooded: A very passionate young man with strong emotions and a just a strong sense of justice.
- I Got Bigger: Looks quite older and stronger after the Time Skip.
- Middle Child Syndrome: As the second child of his noble family, this young man wants to forge his own fame via becoming a fine officer.
A commoner young lady who sang in an opera troupe, then went to study in the Academy and joined the Black Eagles.
- Bi the Way: Can be romanced by either of the Byleths. She also discusses marriage with Edelgard, and her shared endings with Petra and Manuela as her becoming the other woman's spouse in all but name.
- Brutal Honesty: The girl is blunt. EXTREMELY blunt.
- Cool Big Sis: Does her best to be this to Bernadetta in their supports.
- Cultured Badass - Elegant Classical Musician: She adores arts in general, but especially singing.
- Everything's Sparkly with Jewelry: Has earrings and a choker. She seems to like glamorous jewelry in general.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Oh damn. Dorothea is VERY popular with many of the girls in the cast (whether they can marry both Byleths or not like her), and at least two of her A shared endings all but scream that she and another lady get married. This is especially notorious since, in this game, only Byleth has S-supports - and yet Dorothea can have super romantic endings with ladies that Female Byleth can't officially court.
- Fan Girl: Of Professor Manuela, who was the star of her and Dorothea's opera group.
- Gold Digger: Subverted. She does want a partner who can support her, but that's not just due to money but because of her severe abandonement issues.
- Heroic Bastard: Dorothea's late mother was a maid for an Adrestian noble house, but she never knew her father. She speculates that he might have been a nobleman.
- Miss Fanservice: She's very beautiful and her outfit's a bit more revealing than others, but not necessarily to Stripperiffic levels. She plays it MUCH straighter after the Time Skip, wearing a dress that shows off her breasts (which have grown even bigger), most of her back and some of her butt.
- Nice Hat: A cute black one
- The Nicknamer: "Edie" for Edelgard, "Bern" for Bernadetta, "Hubie" for Hubert, "Ferdie" for Ferdinand, etc.
- Penny Among Diamonds - Self-Made Woman: The only commoner from the Black Eagles. She once was a poor and lonely orphan, then worked as a singer in an opera company before coming to the Academy.
- Shipping Torpedo: There's a Paralogue where she plays this role when one of the Academy girls (specifically, Ingrid from the Blue Lions) gets a marriage proposal.
- Stepford Smiler: She seems to be a Genki Girl, but actually hides her self-esteem issues (especially her fear of being poor and alone again) and her disdain of many nobles under her cheery facade.
Ferdinand von Aegir
A noble young man from the Aeghir Dukedom, one of the most noble clans in the Adrestian Empire. He holds the Crest of Saint Cichol.
- Blade on a Stick: His weapon
- Blue Blood: Downplayed, he's proud of his noblehood but is not a snob over it.
- Determinator: He's a very hard-worker, and when he has a goal he will not stop until he's filled it.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Lets his hair grow to Long-Haired Pretty Boy levels after the Time Skip. He says it's because the situation has become so chaotic, he cannot even stop to pay attention to his looks.
- First Guy After All - Forgotten First Meeting: As it turns out, he and Dorothea met before they joined the Academy. But theirs was an... awkward encounter, and he eventually forgot while she did not.
- Nice Guy: Despite his pride, he is a kind person.
- The Rival: Views himself as this for Edelgard. Not without reason: his father is the one who led the Insurrection of the Seven and got Edelgard's father the Emperor stripped of his influence. This also extends to his fellow Black Eagles.
- Sore Loser: Said to be one.
- Trademark Favorite Drink: Tea.
Linhardt von Hevring
The son of the Earl of Hevring, who holds the minor Crest of Saint Cethleann.
- Afraid of Blood: He does not like the idea of drawing anyone's blood, and it takes him a while to get over his first kill. He's still unnerved about such things in the Time Skip.
- Bi the Way: Can be romanced by either a male or a female Byleth. And as said above, his shared end with Caspar is pretty Ho Yay-tastic.
- Blithe Spirit: He quite appreciates his freedom, and dislikes politics and his duties.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady / Pretty Boy: Oh yes.
- Heavy Sleeper: He loves, loves, LOVES sleeping.
- Lazy Bum: Subverted: he's said to be this in general... unless he's Doing Research about Crests. Then he becomes VERY focused and energetic, forgetting to eat and even to sleep as he works.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Lets his hair grow quite longer after the Time Skip.
- Odd Friendship: With Caspar
- White Mage: His speciality is Faith Magic, which can make him one of the best Combat Medics in the cast.
The granddaughter of the king of the Brigid Islands, who has just arrived to the Officer's Academy.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Her Berserk Button is discrimination, and she can potentially bond with Claude over it if she's recruited by the Golden Deers.
- Altar Diplomacy - Arranged Marriage: If she has an A support with Hubert, they marry as a part of an agreement between Adrestia and Brigid. Though the ending in itself states that this is a Perfectly Arranged Marriage rather than a purely political one: busy as they were, they had many children and their home was a warm and happy one.
- Ambiguously Bi: Even when she cannot marry Female Byleth, her shared ending with Dorothea has Petra all but marrying her.
- Facial Markings: A purple one under her right eye.
- Foreign Exchange Student: She's a princess from the land of Brigid, an Adrestian protectorate. It's thanks to this that Petra gets the chance to study at the academy. In practice, she's a sort-of "hostage" taken away from Briggid into Fodlan so her grandfather the King will stay in line. She's... not super happy about it, though her feelings on it may change if she stays with the Eagles.
- Hot Chick with a Sword: Her preferred weapons are swords.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Her endings have her becoming quite The High Queen for Brigid.
- Teen Genius: She's the second youngest student in the Academy, and she's a very good one.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: A side one, which is also braided. (Until the Time Skip)
- You No Take Candle: The reason why her grammar is terrible is because she isn't used to the spoken language of Fódlan. She does get more or less better with time.
Hubert von Vestra
The eldest son of Marquis Vestra, he's a subordinate of Edelgard and a student at the Academy.
- Bodyguard Crush - Childhood Friend Romance: He's always been in love with Edelgard, and he pretty much confesses to her in their A support.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunet: Fits here to a T, save for his hair being dark green than black.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: On one hand, he pretty much solely cares about Edelgard. On the other, his care for her is completely genuine and even if he doesn't necessarily care for the other Eagles, he acknowledges their talents.
- Lady and Knight: Him and Edelgard
- The Lancer: Towards Edelgard. Delving into The Dragon in other routes than hers.
- The Strategist: His role in the Black Eagles revolves around coming up with tactics to protect Edelgard on the battlefield.
- Trademark Favorite Drink: Coffee.
- Second Love: Any non-Edelgard girl that he supports with to the very end will be this to him. Including a Female Byleth.
- Undying Loyalty: For Edelgard, to the point that if Byleth joins other Houses, s/he cannot convince him to join them. And he even kills his own dad, one of the "top dogs" in the Insurrection of the Seven, to make sure his family won't oppose her.
Holy Kingdom of Faerghus/Blue Lions
Dimitri Alexandre Bladdud
- Adrenaline Makeover: A significant one after the Time Skip. In his case, he's let his hair grow longer and has an Eyepatch of Power
- Bishonen: Soft facial features combined with large blue eyes. After the Time Skip, though, he's definitely lost this image and is more of a rugged yet still good-looking badass.
- Blade on a Stick: He wields lances in battle. His House specializes in them.
- Blue Is Heroic: Wears predominantly blue, and he's a heroic individual.
- Break the Cutie: He went through a massive, MASSIVE loss in the past. More exactly, the Tragedy of Duscur - the caravan he, his father King Lambert, his stepmother/Edelgard's mother Queen Consort Patricia and Felix's brother Glenn (along others) were travelling with was attacked, with Dimitri was the Sole Survivor. This caused the Faerghusians to blame the people of Duscur, massacre a good part of them, and heavily discriminate the survivors. At the beginning of the game he does his best to cope with the trauma from such a cruel incident, but his mental state becomes even worse after Edelgard is revealed to be the Flame Emperor and the Time Skip and when Byleth finds him, he's crossed the Despair Event Horizon. And bringing him back from it NOT will be easy.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: More than one of his supports with women have these dynamics. Especially those he can have with the Byleths (even if he can only marry the Female one) and Mercedes.
- If Marianne joins the Lions and supports with Dimitri, though, it's the other way round.
- Childhood Friends: With Felix, Sylvain and Ingrid. He and Ingrid can potentially go into Childhood Friend Romance, and his and Felix's shared ending implies that Felix may have been in love with him too. He also was this with Edelgard, who is actually his stepsister since her mother Patricia was the second wife of his father Lambert. It's very strongly implied that Edelgard was Dimitri's First Love... and that she might have liked him back...
- Eyepatch of Power: After the Time Skip, where he's grown into a Badass warlord. Noticeable in that he does NOT have the patch in the Crimson Flower/Black Eagles' route.
- Fallen Prince: During the Time Skip, Faerghus has been usurped and taken over by the court mage Cornelia (all but said to be employed by Adrestia). The then-regent, Dimitri's uncle Lord Rufus, was murdered and then Dimitri was framed for it; he has spent these five years being hunted down and persecuted, while the fathers of his Childhood Friends have done their best to try holding Cornelia and her forces back.
- I Was Quite a Looker: He starts off as an attractive Bishonen, but by the time the time skip occurs he's become slovenly and unkempt, his hair is much longer and, depending on the route, his eye may have been straight-up gouged out. Subverted in that the fans found him even more attractive afterwards.
- The Leader: The future king of Faerghus, he has command over members of the Blue Lion, who are themselves subjects of his kingdom. Despite his royal background and authority, he still takes order from Byleth, who instructs him and the other students.
- Meaningful Name: His middle name, Alexandre, is the French version of Alexander, meaning "defender of the people." It's fitting for a heroic protagonist.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: He's a prince, but he's nonetheless on the front lines.
- Ruling Couple: If he either marries Female Byleth or reaches an A support with a lady, his spouse tends to be both his Hot Consort and his Number Two. And they're also quite Happily Married.
- Sanity Slippage: Initially, he's cheerful while hiding his childhood trauma; but after the Time Skip, his mental and emotional health taken a nosedive. In reality, he all but cracks before said Time Skip - when he finds out that his once-friend Edelgard is the Flame Emperor.
- Stepford Smiler: Implied in his description.
- Strong Family Resemblance: He looks terrifyingly similar to his father the King.
- Survivor Guilt: The guy has a pretty bad case of this.
- Weapon of Choice: He favors lances.
Ashe UbertA Blue Lions student who's the adopted son of the well-respected Lord Lonato of Gaspard.
- Break the Cutie: Ashe does NOT take the news about Lonato's rebellion well. At all.
- Dark and Troubled Past - Orphan's Ordeal: Ashe was a normal boy who helped out in the family restaurant, until his parents died. To support himself and his remaining siblings, he resorted to thievery and other unsavory stuff until he tried to rob Lord Lonato's mansion and the man, instead of imprisoning him, took him and his siblings under his wing.
- Dead Brother: Lonato's eldest son / Ashe's adopted brother: Christophe, was executed by the Knights of Seiros.
- Happily Adopted: He isn't Lonato's blood son, but his adoptive dad still treated him as if he was.
- Meaningful Name: The name Ashe derives from an English surname in which the family's crest is a silver shield with two black chevronels, probably referencing the character's hair color.
- Supreme Chef: Before being adopted, he worked in his birth family's restaurant. As a result, Ashe is a great cook.
- "Well Done, Son" Guy: To Lonato
- White-Haired Pretty Boy: Silver anyway, but he still counts.
- Youthful Freckles
Sylvain Jose Gautier
A Blue Lions member who holds the minor Crest of Gautier. His clan, the Gautier family, hails from the borders.
- Ambiguously Bi - If It's You It's Okay: Implied in his shared endings with Felix, especially the Blue Lions' route one where not only they kinda settle down together, but die in the same day.
- Big Brother Mentor: When not flirting, he's a bit of an older brother figure.
- Chivalrous Pervert: He really likes sweet-talking girls in his spare time, and in the Blue Lions trailer/initial scenes Ingrid is not pleased when he tries it on her. According to Dimitri's narration, he's done such things pretty much since forever. Heck, someone playing with a Female Byleth can use this to their advantage... via drafting him into other Houses automatically just by making her talk to him.
- The Dutiful Son: Technically, he's the second son of his family but since his brother Miklan does not have a Crest, said brother was disinherited and Sylvain became the heir of the family instead. Even worse, he and Miklan eventually become Cain and Abel
- Hidden Depths: He loathes the Crests and how they've influenced life in Fódlan. Understandable, considering the deal with his brother.
- He's also among the few Lions who don't hate the people of Duscur, and he even openly seeks Dedue's friendship even when Dedue warns him to not taint his rep via being his friend.
- As mentioned below, he thinks that the girls who sleep with him don't love him for his own person.
- Really Gets Around: Strongly implied that he doesn't only flirt around, but has slept with many girls. In a subversion, he isn't too fond of the girls he sleeps with because he believes that these girls don't love him for himself, but because he is a Crest holder.
Felix Hugo Fraldarius
A childhood friend of Dimitri, also the son of the noble Fraldarius House and holder of its Major Crest.
- Ambiguously Bi: His paired endings with Dimitri and Sylvain all but show that he can potentially develop beyond friendshippy feelings for either of them.
- Arrogant Kung Fu Guy and Blood Knight: He's completely commited to his sword play and to often challenge any prospect strong rivals to fights.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Dorothea.
- Childhood Friends: He, Ingrid, Sylvain and Dimitri know each other since childhood. Though by the time one meets them, he's DEFINITELY distanced himself from Dimitri...
- Dead Brother: His older brother in the Tragedy of Duscur. This also severely damaged his relationship with his surviving father, Lord Rodrigue, since Felix mourned for him heavily while Rodrigue referred to the loss of his eldest son as "a noble sacrifice" (most likely in his own way to mourn), leading Felix to think he didn't care.
- Master Swordsman: He really, REALLY wants to be this.
- One of These Is Not Like the Others: He's among the VERY few students that has a Major Crest. And the only one who got his' naturally
- Strong Family Resemblance: He looks a lot like his father.
- Tsundere: And holy shit, HOW.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: He's said to have been a Shy Blue-Haired Guy as a child, but reinvented himself as an Arrogant Kung Fu Guy after thye death of his brother, who was an Arrogant Kung Fu Guy from the start..
Annette Fantine Dominic
A girl from the Blue Lions, who's the niece of Baron Dominic (and the estranged daughter of another Academy teacher, Gilbert) and holder of the Dominic Clan's Minor Crest.
- Affectionate Nickname: Her best friend Mercedes calls her "Ann" or "Annie".
- Black Magician Girl: The closest to this, among the Blue Lions.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Tends to trip on big vases and furniture. Her Paralogue has this pulling it twice in a row, much to Gilbert's exasperation.
- Fiery Redhead: Cheerful and energetic, with red hair to match.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: She has really cute and huge ones.
- Lethal Chef: She wants to be a Supreme Chef. She's not.
- Letting Her Hair Down: Time Skip!Annette stops using her Girlish Pigtails.
- Plucky Girl: She's very energetic and hardworking.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: She and Mercedes, oh yes. And if their shared ending is obtained, then they may go into more.
- Teen Genius: Already graduated from Faerghus' Magic Academy.
Ingrid Brandl Galatea
A young lady from the Blue Lions, who holds the Minor Crest of Daphnel. Her father is Count Galatea.
- Big Eater: There's ONE thing that makes Ingrid lose her cool - delicious food. Because there were food shortages in her homeland.
- Braids of Action: How she styles her Hair of Gold, with a bit of Hime Cut as well. She gets an Important Haircut later, however.
- Childhood Friends: With Dimitri, Felix and Sylvain. Can go into Childhood Friend Romance with either of them.
- Dude Magnet: Seems to be popular with guys. Enough to get a marriage proposal in a game chapter.
- Fallen Princess: The Galateas are not very wealthy despute their prestige, so they put pressure on her to restore the family name and marry well.
- Green Eyes: Rather large ones.
- Knight in Shining Armor: She really, really wants to be this.
- Noble Bigot: She's a good person... but she dislikes people from Duscur, like Dedue (even when she doesn't attack him). Because her fiancé and First Love from childhood, Felix's older brother Glenn, was killed in the Tragedy of Duscur.. She can actually support with Dedue, however, and if done so she reconsiders her attitude towards him.
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage: She was bethrothed to Felix's older brother due to their families' desires, but they loved one another quite a bit and he's the one who kickstarted her desire to be a knight. And then he died in the Tragedy of Duscur.
- Second Love: Any guy who romances her.
- Spirited Young Lady: A noblewoman with quite the Plucky Girl traits, who desires to be a knight and does not want to abide by her family's desires.
- Team Mom: She tells Byleth that she had this "role" among her group of friends, and they were completely lost whenever she wasn't around.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The Tomboy to Annette and Mercedes' Girly Girls.
A Blue Lions member who is pretty much Dimitri's retainer. He's also a commoner.
- All of the Other Reindeer: He doesn't seem to be very popular among Faerghusians.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: It's said that Dimitri helped him BIG time in the past and that's why he's his butler. More exactly, Dedue comes from s place named Duscur that was pretty much razed after its inhabitants were accused of an attack where Dimitri's father King Lambert, his stepmom/Edelgard's mom Queen Patricia and Felix's older brother / Ingrid's lover Glenn died. Dimitri, however, took Dedue in and showed him kindness despite his checkered origins and how the Faerghus people cannot forgive those of Duscur.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: Of the White-Haired Pretty Boy type.
- Gentle Giant: A huge young man and a very kind, quiet person.
- Guide Dang It: If a certain condition in his Paralogue is NOT fulfilled, he'll be Killed Off for Real and therefore fully unavaliable in the Blue Lions route.
- The Lancer: To Dimitri, oh yes.
- Real Men Wear Pink: He loves flowers, cooking and gardening.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: His cool and collected behavior masks his kindness.
- Supreme Chef: A damn good cook.
- Undying Loyalty: To Dimitri, and like Hubert he cannot really join another House if Byleth asks him to. And if he has to turn himself into a monster for Dimitri's sake, he will.
Mercedes von Martritz
A woman in her very early 20's who's a member of the Blue Lions, despite being from Adrestia. She has the Minor Crest of Lamine and is best friends with Annette.
- Affectionate Nickname: Her close friend Annette calls her "Mercie"
- Bi the Way: Romanceable by both Byleths, plus other guys. And her and Annette's shared ending is quite romantic as well.
- Fallen Princess: She's said to be a noble of Adrestia who grew up a commoner in Faerghus. It's explained that her father was a Baron in Adrestia, but he died when she was a baby. Mercedes' mother remarried Baron Bartels of Faerghus, but after the birth of her younger half-brother who got the Lamine crest, Mercedes and her mom were looked down by the family. So they left to live in a church in the east and a merchant from Fhirdad adopted her, and then she went to a sorcery school and later the Academy; still, her adoptive dad wants to marry her off well due to her having a Crest.
- Greater Need Than Mine: She cannot turn a blind eye to anyone in need.
- Innocent Blue Eyes
- Morality Pet: She's this to a certain opponent. More exactly, to none other than the Death Knight. Who is actually her half-brother Emile.
- Motherly Side Plait: Her hairstyle. Though she cuts her hair short in the Time Skip.
- Parental Incest: She was intended to be the victim of this when her stepfather, Baron von Martels decided he wanted more crest-bearing children, and planned to find Mercedes so he could force her to marry him and have his child, since her and her half-brother Emile's mother was past child-bearing age. Fortunately for her, Emile (who had stayed behind with their cruel dad) found out about the plan, snapped over the idea of his beloved sister being targeted like this, and murdered the bastard in cold blood,.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Annette.
- Token Wholesome: Several girls go through quite the Adrenaline Makeover after the 5 years. Mercedes, however, still dresses more conservatively compared to them.
Leicester Alliance/Golden Deers
Claude von RieganLeader of the Golden Deer, destined to be the leader of the Leicester Alliance. Has the Minor Crest of Riegan.
- Abdicate the Throne: Several of his endings have him leaving the leadership of Leicester, often to reclaim his Almyran birthright instead. Though sometimes he straight up disappears, like in his and Lysithea's shared ending: they're set to be Star-Crossed Lovers since she refuses to be his Hot Consort due to her being the local Ill Girl... but he then abdicates, manages to Find the Cure, finds her and they disappear together.
- Adrenaline Makeover: While he looks more or less close to his youthful appearance after the Time Skip, his clothes/armor are more detailed (and more yellow and beige than black) and he not only slicks his hair back, but grows his sideburns longer.
- All of the Other Reindeer: It's implied that he's been discriminated in Leicester for being illegitimate and with Almyran blood. Which has a role in him not judging people just for their origins.
- Ambiguously Brown: Edelgard and Dimitri are pretty pale, Claude is not.
- The Archer: The first Lord-like character who fights with bows from the very beginning. (Alm and Lyn can use bows, but only after they're promoted)
- Beware the Nice Ones: He's been described as someone who is easygoing, but still not to be trifled with.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: As said above, he slicks his hair back when older.
- Heroic Bastard: Claude's mother is the daughter of Duke Riegan (current leader of the Leicester Alliance), and he was only recently acknowledged by his maternal family. His father turns out to be none other than the King of Almyra, making him the Prince of that land as well. Whether his paternal family acknowledges him or not, it depends.
- Heroic Neutral: He, the Alliance and the Golden Deers try to be this in other routes. It can potentially lead to Claude surviving to the end of the game.
- Hotblooded Sideburns: Gains a somewhat thinner pair after the Time Skip.
- Green Eyes: And they're pretty striking!
- Guile Hero - Manipulative Bastard: Implied in his profile, more or less confirmed in a 3H-centered event from Fire Emblem: Heroes. He can be extremely sneaky, sly and willing to use underhanded tactics (as long as they are not fatal or too extreme), under the reasoning that War Is Hell and therefore one must use every single trick under the sleeve to protect their allies and win.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Her isn't a jerk per se, but extremely pragmatic and determined to protect his people and his friends plus willing to be quite underhanded if needed.
- The Leader: Of the Golden Deers, though he still takes instructions from Byleth.
- Modest Royalty: He doesn't seem to like formalities.
- Nay Theist: He does not like believing in the Gods.
- Pretty Boy: Even after the five-year Time Skip, he's really damn pretty.
Lorenz Hermann Gloucester
The eldest son of the house of Duke Gloucester, and bearer of his clan's minor Crest. Despite his snobby demeanor, he is quite serious, fully understanding of his responsibilities as a noble. It seems he has been approaching girls at the monastery, to little success.
- Anime Hair: His rather curious bowl-like cut, which stays as such until the Time Skip.
- Bishonen: Kinda parodied at the beginning, then played completely straight.
- Casanova Wannabe: He's been hitting on the ladies at the monastery, but has come up short so far. Lampshaded if he supports with his Blue Lions Foil, Sylvain.
- Face-Heel Turn: Can potentially ally himself with Adrestia, in certain circumstances.
- Feuding Families: His clan and the Riegan clan do NOT get along. And the Gloucesters may have been involved in the death of Claude's uncle, who was the heir to the Alliance before him.
- Hidden Depths: Yeah, he's an Upperclass Twit. But he actually has high standards about nobility as a whole and strongly believes that they should aid the disadvantaged. He also wants a prospect wife to not be just a pretty face or a noble lady, but a good partner in their shared life. (Though he does admit that if he had a commoner girlfriend and his family vetoed her, he'd choose the clan over her due to his duty)
- I Kiss Your Hand: To Female Byleth, if she romances him.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: There's a kind heart behind the snobbish behavior.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Can be this to Claude and to Leonie, through supports.
Hilda Valentin Goneril
A noblewoman from Leicester, the daughter of Duke Goneril and the sister of the famous General Horst, plus holder of the Goneril clan's minor Crest. She's lazy and spoiled, but kind nevertheless.
- Alas, Poor Villain: Not her, but still. When Dimitri is killed by Edelgard's soldiers in the Golden Deer path, Hilda witnesses it and is horrified to the point of tears.
- All Women Are Lustful: Usually she just uses her body and looks to make guys do what she wants without giving them a second thought. But if she gets far enough in her support chain with Caspar, she actually insists on bringing him back to her bed because she's gotten hot and bothered instead. She's the only student to show outward sexual tendencies this way.
- Always Someone Better: To her brother, who is The Ace. It's also part of the reason why she's so lazy: Horst will do everything much better than her, so why should she even bother?
- Badass Adorable: In the Golden Deer trailer, she claims to be too delicate for fighting... And cue to her using a HUGE axe to attack her enemies. She may qualify as a Glacier Waif, even.
- Boobs of Steel: She can handle physical weapons pretty well, and she has a decent sized bust. The Time Skip gives her even more boobage.
- The Fashionista: Said to enjoy fashion and cute stuff. If she lives, she becomes not just a fashion designer but the founder and headmistress of the first arts and crafts school / academy in Fodlan.
- Girlish Pigtails: And they're pink!
- Hidden Buxom: Pre-timeskip, she's got one of the largest chests in the monastery, but she's forced to cover them due to her school uniform. Once war starts and she can pick any outfit, she goes with a Cleavage Window top that her boobs (which are even bigger at this point) spill out of.
- Lazy Bum: According to Claude in the Golden Deer trailers, "her picture should be next to lazy in the dictionary!"
- Ms. Fanservice: And she knows it. She constantly tries to seduce boys into doing all her work for her by playing the cute card before the Time Skip. After the five years pass, she picks an outfit with a large cleavage window that reveals her massive boobs and plays the sexy angle instead. Her friend Lysithea even points out how hard she works to look attractive just to avoid work. Her S-Support image has her with her arms over her head to show off her boobs and expose her armpits, just to look more seductive.
- The Lancer: Like Dedue and Hubert, she's this to her leader despite Claude calling her lazy and stuff. Unlike them, she can be poached away by a Byleth who doesn't choose the Deers... Good luck trying it, however.
- The Ojou: A mix of Spoiled Brat (her profile says that she's "spoiled" and "lazy", Claude confirms it) and Nice Girl (other than this lazy side, she's very cute and sweet)
Lysithea von Ordelia
The eldest daughter of the Ordelia clan and holder of a Minor Crest of Charon, plus a Major Crest of Gloucester. She's also the youngest student of her generation.
- Berserk Button: She loathes being treated like a child.
- Dark and Troubled Past: The Ordelia clan got in a huge political mess, and as punishment their children were seized and experimented on with Crests. Lysithea was the only one who survived.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: The dress she wears after the Time Skip resembles the style.
- Ill Girl: She has two Crests thanks to having been experimented on, and that has terrible effects on her general health. Whether she improves enough to live long past the events of the game or dies shortly afterwards depends on what ending she gets.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: She feels trapped in noble-hood AND the experiments she went through have rendered an Ill Girl, so she wishes that she'd be a commoner instead (and probably be a baker). Several of her endings have her and her parents either disappearing or willingly living with commoners; ie, if she has a shared ending with Raphael, she befriends his sister and eventually starts helping out at her and Raphael's Family Business.
- Insufferable Genius: At times, though she does work pretty hard for her skills.
- Picky Eater: She dislikes bitter food, and loves sweets - especially cake.
- Teen Genius: A magical prodigy... at the tender age of 15.
- White-Haired Pretty Girl: A cute teen girl with white hair. Like Edelgard, it's because of Crest experiments that have shortened her lifespan.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She HATES ghosts.
A commoner young man who lost his parents tragically when he was young, but does his best to keep contact with his still-living sister Maya and remains spirited and optimistic no matter what.
- Best Friends-in-Law: In his ending with Ignatz, who marries Raphael's sister. Also implied in his and Lysithea's ending, since Lysithea becomes best friends with Maya.
- Big Eater: It's said that one of his main worries is the menu of the day at the cafeteria, and he's seen eating in the Golden Deer trailer. Justified: not only he's The Big Guy but he focuses a lot in training, so he truly needs more food than average.
- Bridal Carry: To Female Byleth, if she romances him.
- Bromance: With Ignatz.
- Dumb Muscle: He wants to be a knight and has the build for one, but he isn't enthusiastic on sitting through lectures...Or thinking things through. Ultimately downplayed, as with some pep talks with Byleth he decides to apply himself to studying anyway.
- Family Business: Raphael's remaining relatives (namely, his and Maya's grandfather) have a bakery. Some of his endings mention that he either fully took over the baking business when he retired from knighthood, or due to the grandpa's age he first helped out part-time, then retired early and became the one in charge.
- Gentle Giant: A big boy with a heart of gold.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Female Byleth is rather tall, but Raphael is THAT big and beefy.
- Parental Abandonment: Not by choice, but still. His younger sister still lives, and Raphael cares for her lots and sends her gifts once in a while.
- The Pollyanna: Implied to be this.
- Younger Than They Look: He's just 18 at the start of the game!
Another commoner student from the Golden Deer, born in a merchant family.
- Hidden Depths: It's implied that even when he came into the Academy to become a knight, he'd rather dedicate himself to something else. If he lives to the end, it's said that he became a gifted and famous artist.
- It's All My Fault: Blames himself for Raphael's parents' deaths because they were filling in for Ignatz's own, and the were unable to do anything to help Raphael and his sister Maya afterwards. He spends half their support set avoiding Raphael over this, until Raphael tells them to let it go and that what happened with their parents shouldn't affect their friendship.
- Megane: He's a cute looking boy who wears glasses.
- The Smart Guy: He has quite the appreciation for the arts and the aesthetics.
Leonie PinelliA Golden Deer member who's the daughter of a hunter and has come to the Academy to become a rich mercenary.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: She borrowed money from her fellow villagers to come to the Academy, and is determined to return both the cash and the favor as soon as she can.
- Boobs of Steel: Her whole portrait shows that she has a rather large chest.
- Curtains Match the Window: Her hair and eyes are of exactly the same orange-red tone.
- Fan Girl: Of Byleth's father, Jeralt. She even seems to view Jeralt's child Byleth as The Rival
- Gender Blender Name: Averted: her name, the feminine version of "Leon", gives away that she's a girl.
- Girliness Upgrade: Subverted: she looks more feminine after the 5-years Time Skip, but her solo ending all but screams that she's more of The Ladette (especially considering her drinking habits).
- Money, Dear Boy: She swears by this trope, though as seen above she has her reasons.
- Self-Made Woman: She's a commoner born in a hunter family and want to be this.
- Tomboy: And H O W.
- Viewer Gender Confusion: At first, fans weren't sure if Leonie was a boy or a girl. The Golden Deer trailer cleared it up by having Claude refer to her as a woman AND showing her in the girls' uniform of the Academy.
Marianne von Edmund
A shy lady from the Golden Deer, the adoptive daughter of Duke Edmond and holder of an unnamed Crest. She's also very religious and fond of praying.
- Creepy Shadowed Undereyes: Subverted, she has them but she's more shy than creepy. And she loses them in the Time Skip.
- Friend to All Living Things: Her timidity kinda disappears when she interacts with birds and animals.
- Heroic Lineage: Marianne is supposed to have this, since she has a Crest of mysterious origins. It's the Crest of the Beast, coming from the Fallen Hero Maurice.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Being a noblewoman is something she really hates, since she's faced abandonment and isolation due to it.
- The Quiet One: She rarely if ever speaks
- Religion Is Magic: Marianne is very devoted to her religious beliefs, and she seems to be good at Magic.
- Shy Blue-Haired Girl: She has light blue hair and is so shy, some of her classmates have never really heard her speak. She also has severe self-esteem issues, coming from the belief that her Crest of the Beast will make her unfortunate..
- When She Smiles: If Marianne is romanced by Male Byleth, she gives an adorable smile.
Knights of Seiros
Byleth's father, also the most powerful knight in the whole Fódlan. He was in service of the Knight of Seiros for years, but after the death of his wife/Byleth's mother he left to found his own mercenary company, which was very succesful; he also raised Byleth as well as he could. After Byleth's discovered and hired by the Academy, Jeralt returns to the Knights to keep an eye on his child as much as possible in between missions. He also has a major Crest of Seiros , which he adquired in the past and in quite mysterious ways.
- The Ace: Total badass. Excellent leader. Once loving husband (and still in love with his late lady). Great father...
- The Alcoholic: One of Jeralt's few flaws is that he's a HEAVY drinker. And that he rarely pays for his drinks.
- Disappeared Dad: Averted, he did the major part of Byleth's raising in all senses. And very well, one might add. Sadly played straight later, when he's murdered.
- Emergency Transformation: In a way. He once was hired as Rhea's bodyguard, and ended up severely injured protecting her. Rhea gave him a blood transfusion to save his life, which gave him access to the Major Crest of Seiros AND extended his lifespan greatly.
- Hot Dad: In a rather rough way.
- The Mentor: Not just to Byleth, but to Leonie and Alois.
- Papa Wolf: For Byleth, there's nothing he wouldn't do. In fact, after his wife's Death by Childbirth / Heroic Sacrifice, Jeralt immediately noticed that something had happened to his infant child, and that his boss Rhea had something to do with it. His response was to stage a fire, fake baby!Byleth's death and run the FUCK away of the Church under the guise of founding his own mercenary company.
- Older Than He Looks: He already looks like he's in his 40's/50's, but is even older than that. More exactly, this is due to how he got his Crest: via "inheriting" it from Rhea when she gave him a transfusion to save him.
A blunt and straightforward woman who's also a gifted archer. She works as part of the Knights of Seiros to thank Rhea for taking her in, and teaches Lances and Bows.
- The Archer - Blade on a Stick: Her main weapons
- Boobs of Steel: She's a physically strong mercenary who's survived lots of battles, and her boobs almost spill out of her top.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Shamir is from a place named Dagda... which was razed in a war against the Kingdom of Brigid. Shamir, who already was a mercenary back then, lost pretty much everything there - including her First Love, her companions, etc. She wandered through Fódlan until Rhea took her in.
- Lady of War
- Undying Loyalty: To her employer and benefactor, Lady Rhea.
Another instructor and knight of Seiros, who teaches Brawling and Swords and is Shamir's friend and partner. She has a major crest of Charon, and used to live in Faerghus but later was taken in by Rhea and the Church.
- Brutal Honesty: This woman does not mince words at all.
- Dark-Skinned Blond
- Fallen Princess: She once was Cassandra Reubens Charon, a member of the House of Charon. After the clan was said to be involved in the Tragedy of Duscur (they weren't), Cassandra renamed herself as Catherine and ran away to the Monastery, pledging herself to Rhea who took her in.
- My Greatest Failure: Aside of the deals depicted above, she's not happy about capturing Lonat's son/Ashe's brother Christophe and beringing him to justice, which got him executed.
- Undying Loyalty: To Rhea, who not only took her in when she "fell" but personally saved her when she was a student at the Monastery.. While she IS conflicted about many of her actions, in the end she'll stand by her.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: She and Shamir
Once an orphan taken in by the Church of Seiros, Alois is among the leaders of the Knights and is an old friend of Jeralt. He's the one who came up with the idea of employing Byleth as an instructor at the Academy, where he offers lessons in Brawling and Axes.
- An Axe to Grind: His preferred weapon
- Badass Beard: A pretty nice one.
- Bait and Switch Bisexuals: He can have an S-Support with either of the Byleths... but both are platonic, actually. This is because he is already Happily Married.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Quite a bit!
- Big Brother Mentor - Cool Uncle: Tries to be one to Byleth, as the ex-right hand of his father. Goes a bit more into Parental Substitute after Jeralt's murder.
- Disappointed in You: Big, BIG time if Byleth chooses to ally themself with Edelgard and the Black Eagles. Unless they managed to recruit him, that is.
- The Heart - Nice Guy: Alois' kindness and cheerfulness make people feel at ease with him.
- Locked Out of the Loop: He does NOT know why his once-mentor Jeralt left the Knights of Seiros.
- Running Gag: He always tries to make jokes... but only Dimitri finds them funny. And that's because they're THAT bad.
- Sad Clown: A good part of his apparently cheerful behavior and his pun slinging are part of his coping mechanisms.
- Self-Made Man: He was born a commoner and then orphaned, was taken in by Jeralt as his squire when he was 11, became a Knight of Seiros at age 24...
- Undying Loyalty: To Jeralt
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: G H O S T S.
A quiet Knight of Seiros who offers lessons in Lances and Axes. He once was a knight in Faerghus (as Gustav Dominic) but left everything to dedicate himself to his mission, at the high cost of leaving his family and especially his daughter, Annette from the Blue Lions.
- The Atoner: He tries to be this after the Tragedy of Duscur via leaving House Dominic to join the Knights of Seiros, even renouncing to his family as a whole. Problem is, he's suffered horribly for it (not that he ever lets it show) and the same goes to his loved ones (younger brother, wife, daughter).
- Bait and Switch Bisexuals: He can also have an S-Support with either of the Byleths... but again, both are platonic. This is because he is Annette's dad and Annette's mother is apparently still alive in Faerghus.
- Disappeared Dad: Had to leave his beloved family, including his daughter Annette. She naturally isn't happy about it and tries to seek him out, though if they get supports they can rekindle their broken relationship.
- Hot Dad: Older than usual (he's in his 50's), but still quite nice-looking.
- Humble Hero: He never boasts about his accomplishments, and doesn't really like it when others talk about them as seen in his supports with Ashe.
- Letting His Hair Down: Gilbert actually has shoulder-length hair, and lets it loose in his S-Support with either Byleth.
- My Greatest Failure: The whole Tragedy of Duscur deal. Especially the trauma that poor Dimitri suffered over it, which led him to crack.
- Put on a Bus: In the Verdant Wind/Golden Deer route, he pretty much vanishes. It's only known that he retrieved Dimitri's lifeless body after he was killed by Adrestian soldiers.
Church of Seiros
The beautiful, kind yet extremely severe (if not ruthless) Archbishop of the Church of Seiros, and the holder of the Major Crest of Seiros. She can help the Byleths increase their rank at four subjects: Brawling, Lances, Swords and Faith.
Rhea is actually the heroine Seiros herself, who completely lost it after the murders of the Goddess aka her mother (Sothis' past self) and near all of her siblings the Nabatea. They were murdered by Those Who Slither In the Dark, who once were their allies the Agarthans but turned on them; they also used their corpses to create the Crests and the Heroic Relics. Driven mad with grief and anger, Seiros allied herself with the Four Saints (her surviving brothers Indech, Cichol and Maculi, plus Cichol's daughter Cethleann) and the first Emperor of Adrestia (Wilhelm I), waging the War of the Heroes and killing Nemesis (the one who killed the Goddess under orders), among many other consequences. Then she created the Church of Seiros and its allied institutions, changed her name to Rhea, rewrote history to hide as much as possible of the whole tragedy, and started seeking ways to bring her mother back...
Her Seiros tropes have their own section below.
A handsome, serious man who is the right-hand of Rhea in the Church, and holds the major Crest of Cichol. He offers lessons in Lances and Authority in the Academy, and is quite protective of his younger sister Flayn.
He is actually Saint Cichol (one of Seiros' siblings) himself, while his "sister" Flayn is his daughter Saint Cethleann.
- Defrosting Ice King: He begins as quite distrustful of Byleth, who was hired as a professor without his consultation. But when they're vital in the rescue of his little sister Flayn, he begins warming up to them.
- Dragon Rider: His starting class.
- Friend to All Children: He gets along well with kids, surely coming from him raising his little sister (or better said, his daughter) on his own.
- The Lost Lenore: He once had a wife, but she passed away. More exactly: she was not just his wife, but Flayn's mother. It's all but stated that she was killed in the War against Nemesis.
- Promotion to Parent: He's a handsome man who seems to be in his 30's/40's, and he's taking care of his teenage younger sister... Subverted: they're father and daughter, but they pose as siblings to hide their Heroic Lineages.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Is more or less this in the Church, following the lead of Rhea.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: With some of his potential girlfriends, like Manuela and Catherine.
- Second Love: Any woman that he romances through supports will be this.
- Stern Teacher: His role among the Academy teachers.
Seteth's younger sister, who isn't a student but still hangs around the Monastery and the Academy (and wants to attend the latter one day). She has the Major Crest of Cethleann, and is a potentially very talented healer and mage.
Just like Seteth is Saint Cichol, Flayn is actually his daughter Saint Cethleann. Her mother was killed in battle, and Cethleann herself had to spend years in a dormant state to recover from her injuries. As such, she is more naive than many would think and is unaware of her aunt Seiros/Rhea's true motives.
- All-Loving Heroine: Flayn is a kind, gentle, forgiving soul.
- Blow You Away: Many of her better spells are wind-based ones.
- Cloudcuckoolander: She at times has very... special thoughts.
- Convenient Coma: When younger, Flayn spent some time in one. One than actually lasted for centuries, since she was gravely injured in the war against Nemesis.
- Curious as a Monkey: This young lady is very inquisitive and curious, much to her brother's dismay.
- Distress Ball: At some point she's kidnapped, and the whole Academy must team-work to find her.
- Kiddie Kid: She's said to be 17 years old according to the game data, but she looks and acts younger. She's actually much older, however...
- Lethal Chef: Her cooking is, well, BAD. Unless she marries the Supreme Chef Dedue.
- Secret Identity: Seteth says that he keeps Flayn hidden in the Monastery and Academy because some peoplr want to harm her. It seems word has spread about her being the Half-Human Hybrid Cethleann (daughter of a Nabatean man and a human woman), which makes her a HUGE target due to her capacity to produce Crests.
- White Mage: One of her biggest fortes. This should be no surprise: Cethleann was known as a powerful healer, and she IS Cethleann...
- Will Not Be a Victim: After she's rescued, Flayn refuses to go into hiding with Seteth and takers the chance to join the Academy, even if not officially.
One of the teachers at the Academy, a very mysterious young man who wears a mask all the time and is a fencing instructor. He has a minor crest of Larmine.
He is actually the Death Knight, an ally of Those Who... and Edelgard. As a plus, he is also Mercedes' half-brother Emile von Bartels, adopted into another House after the odd end of the Bartels house. His tropes as the Death Knight will be listed in their own section.
- The Aloner: He really, really dislikes talking to people.
- Bi the Way: Can fall in love with either Byleth.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Uhm. Oh... boy... As Emile von Bartels, he was very well-loved by his older half-sister Mercedes and his mother (a member of the Von Martritz clan), bur was saddled with a cruel father who cared much more about Crests and bloodlines than anyone else. He stayed behind with the Bartel clan as a way to protect Mercedes and their mom when they were sent away, fearing that if he went with them he'd make them targets of the Baron's fury... but when some time later he found out that Baron Martels intended to reclaim Mercedes and forcibly marry her to have more children with Crests, he snapped and murdered his evil father, then pretty much killed everyone in House Bartels. The horrible trauma is all but shouted to be what caused him to develop a Split Personality - none other than the Death Knight.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: If one completes Jeritza's supports with his sister Mercedes, after the war he's imprisoned in Enbarr but is ultimately reunited with her. If he supports with either Byleth, they become an amazing Battle Couple that helps Edelgard decimate Those... and then they disappear together. Love Redeems won't heal everything, but it DOES help a lot.
- I Owe You My Life: To Edelgard
- The Mentally Ill: This man has what's known as Dissociativte Identity Disorder alias Split Personality, born from the horrifying trauma he went through when young.
- Morality Pet: Mercedes and their mother (Lady von Martritz)
- Promoted to Playable: He initially was the only Academy Teacher who cannot be recruited due to him being the Death Knight, a DLC makes him a full member of the cast (though solely in one route: Crimson Flower aka the Black Eagles). And it doubles as Promoted to Love Interest, as he can be romanced by either of the Byleths (and without Bait and Switch Bisexuals!)
- Strong Family Resemblance: When unmasked, it's seen that he looks a LOT like a genderflipped Mercedes, confirming that they're brother and sister.
- Sweet Tooth: Who would say that Jeritza loves ice-cream and sweets? It's implied to be a bit of a Comfort Food deal, since Mrs. von Martritz and Mercedes specialize in sweet dishes.
- Walking Spoiler: And how.
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?: He all but shouts it if romanced by Byleth.
- Worthy Opponent: He sees Byleth as this.
- You Are Worth Hell: He tells that to Byleth in his Love Confession.
Once the most beautiful and talented singer of the Mittelfrank Opera Company, known as the "Divine Songstress" and greatly admired by Dorothea, Manuela teaches Swords and Faith at the Academy. She's a rather immature woman in private, especially regarding her anxiety over not having a husband, but is also a competent healer and a kind person.
Hanneman von Essar
Once an Adrestian noble, Hanemann left the Empire over cruel incidents in his past and chose to lend his knowledge to the Academy, where he teaches Riding, Archery and Reason. He's a talented scholar with a keen interest in the crests and a turbulent relationship with his co-worker Manuela. Has a minor crest of Indech.
An orphaned boy who was first a servant to House Goneril and then to Rhea, and now works for the Church of Seiros.
An old librarian for the Academy, who's been there for decades. As the game begins, he has just come back from an 8-year trip through the continent.
He is actually Solon from Those Who Slither... More exactly, it's all but stated that there WAS a real Tomas who worked in the library itself, but was subjected to Kill and Replace by Solon in his trip.
Those Who Slither in the Dark
- Faux Action Girl: Very rare antagonist example, since her stats are notoriously low for a boss and not only she can be defeated easily, but she ends up used as an Human Sacrifice by Thales
- Hero-Killer: She murders Byleth's father Jeralt
- Stripperiffic: She wears a leotard that shows off insanely deep cleavage, underboob, sideboob, her midriff AND her butt. Somehow she still counts as fully clothed.
- Villainous Harlequin: Oh, yeah.