|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
You may be betrayed
—Fantasia: Requiem of the Abyss' Ominous Prophecy.
The Fantasia Trilogy is a Freeware Otome Game Series created by Memento Mori Games (led by Azurextwilight), consisting of three games - Fantasia: Realm of Thanos, Fantasia: Requiem of the Abyss and Fantasia: Memento of Grand Finale. The final game has yet to be completed, but a demo has been released.
In Fantasia: Realm of Thanos, Cheryl Nielsen (who you can actually name whatever you want) , an Ordinary High School Student, is given a very important mission by a mysterious woman (whom she calls "White Lady"): to save Fantasia from the Demon Lord, Oswald. To do that, she must choose to save one of the four other boys who have suffered as much as she has and use The Power of Love to stop him. But, as you find out in the Canon path, it turns out said Demon Lord just wanted to be loved, and after Cheryl decides to show him some affection and understanding, he does a Heel Face Turn, redeeming himself. They eventually end up together as the canon pairing.
The second game, Fantasia: Requiem of the Abyss, deals with Thanos' imminent plot to Take Over the World, as the latent tension between the Kingdom of Seldrus and the Southern Empire of Valdrox threaten to start a new war. Now it is Valen Leingold's (Cheryl and Oswald's only daughter) duty to go on a journey, along with a colorful group of allies, to, yet again, save Fantasia from Thanos' evil plans and stop The End of the World as We Know It.
Then comes an interlude game, Fantasia: Before Requiem, a non-interactive visual novel which provides intricate backstories of the characters of Requiem of the Abyss. Though it is chronologically set before Requiem of the Abyss, it is highly recommended that it be read after playing Requiem of the Abyss.
Fantasia: Memento of Grand Finale is set 200 years after Requiem of the Abyss. The Guild, now called Pacifist Alliance Organization, is by far the most powerful force of Fantasia. Having stopped the meaningless struggle for resources between kingdoms a few years prior to the begining of the game, PAO now seizes control of the land, trying to keep the world's increasingly frail balance to the best of their abilities. In the midst of this, Lenarche Seleniarius, a girl who has no idea who her parents are, has been having vivid dreams of various major plot points of the previous games. She joins PAO to try to find out more about her past. Only a demo is out so far.
Fantasia has a Discussion Forum. You can download the games from this link.
This series of visual novels provides examples of:
The Fantasia Series in general
- The Abridged Series: Check out Ominias' Fanon videos.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: All of the main characters end up with a Jerkass. Seems to be the mentality of the writer, as well as a large chunk of the fan base.
- And I Must Scream: Demons are reborn to accomplish just one goal which they couldn't fulfill when they were human. This goal is the only thing that drives their life. As long as this goal isn't fulfilled, the demon will suffer constant pain, and the only thing tha can supress that pain is working towards their goal. Knowing that, you can't feel but feel a little bit sorry for them.
- Anime Hair: Some characters have rather spiky hair. Zephyr's (From MoGF) hair is not very spiky, save that really quite huge spike near the top of his head that the fandom enjoys calling "Snarkfin".
- As Long as There Is Evil: In Realm of Thanos and Requiem of the Abyss, even if you successfully defeat Oswald and/or Thanos, they claim this trope.
- unless you're on the true ending(s) in each game
Thanos: So you think you've won... But don't forget. As long as Oswald and the Realm, hatred and pain still exists... They will complete my dreams...
- Author Appeal: So, how many of those Nice Guy characters are the official love interest? None of them, you say? Notably, even though Leon isn't the canon love interest in the first game, he gets almost as much development as Oswald outside of his own arc.
- Babies Ever After: Eventually, almost every couple from Realm of Thanos to Requiem of the Abyss.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Cain and Valen are prime examples. Lenarche and Zephyr seem to be heading down this route, too.
- So are Shea and Seraphina as well as Alviss and Euphie, both of which was pretty much Foe Yay.
- Beta Couple:
- In Realm of Thanos - Leon and Melodia, Gil and Xirara.
- In Requiem of the Abyss - Cyrus and Faye, Klavios and Serenade, Ciel and Vahn.
- The Beautiful Elite: Mainly, the Leingolds.
- Big Bad: Oswald in Realm of Thanos and Thanos in Requiem of the Abyss.
- Big Screwed-Up Family: The de'Renquolds.
- Cain and Abel: Oswald and Thanos, to some extent.
- Curse: Seems to be somewhat of a trend in the series, with Ian in the first game and Volg in the second one.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Almost all characters have this. More notably are Leon, Thanos, Cain and Volg.
- Everybody Lives: The Canon endings of all games are like this. At least, until now...
- Elemental Absorption: People with the Null ability can do this - Valen, Cain, Thanos and Lenarche.
- Evil Minions: Cain to Oswald in Realm of Thanos and Shea (as well as several other demons who didn't matter as much) to Thanos in Requiem of the Abyss.
- Evil Laugh: Oswald and Thanos have their moments. Had, at least.
- Face Death with Dignity: Many characters do this. Oswald's was one the most Tear Jerking... until he gets better after all.
- Fantastic Fruits and Vegetables: To the Fantasia characters, tropical fruits from our world are this. Oswald loves pineapple, Cain loves mango, and Word of God had confirmed that Shea loves durian and Thanos loves guava. Also, Gil, Raven and Zephyr like vegetables.
- Final Battle: All games seem to have one.
- Immortality: The Leingolds are probably the only immortals left now that Vestoria and Aldius are gone.
- Immortality Begins At Twenty: The immortals stop growing at around 19 years old.
- Immortal Immaturity: The Leingolds, despite being hundreds to thousands of years old, act only about as old as they look.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Cain and Ian both say it to Valen and Cheryl respectively.
- Love Interests: Do I even need to explain?
- Luminescent Blush
- Melodrama: Though it's up to the player to decide whether it's actually done well or not.
- Multiple Endings: Naturally.
- Nonstandard Game Over: Most bad endings, especially those where you pick a wrong choice during a fight in RotA and get killed by the enemy almost immediately.
- Not Quite Dead: No matter what ending you get, Oswald never truly dies in RoT. Similarly in RotA, Thanos never truly dies either.
- Official Couple: Oswald and Cheryl, Cain and Valen, Thanos and Lenarche.
- Petting Zoo People: All of the Nomads have little furry ears.
- Ray Gun: The Rune Guns in the series are not used as actual guns, but guns used to amplify the user's magic. Thus, mages usually use them.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Oswald and Thanos.
- Reincarnation: Demons are born from the deep desire to accomplish something they couldn't when they were human. Until they can fulfull this goal, they are endlessly reborn.
- Rouge Angles of Satin: A side-effect of the writer not being a native English-speaker (probably).
- Shout-Out: The games contain shout-outs to Final Fantasy and other JRP Gs:
- Zephyr's mask looks almost identical to Sync's.
- "Leingold" looks a lot like "Leingod".
- And Albel from the third Fantasia game shares a name with another Star Ocean character
- Prince Zanarkand, you say?
- Euphemia? With the nickname "Euphie?"
- Fir looks a lot like Serah, pink-haired side-ponytail and all.
- The key icon from the first game looks a lot like a Keyblade.
- And Axel's Catch Phrase gets quoted by Oswald.
- Sparkling Stream of Tears: Cheryl, Valen and Cyrus go through this.
- Time Skip: Between the first and second games there is a gap of 50 years, while the second and third ones have a gap of 200 years.
- Trademark Favorite Food: The realm inhabitants (mostly the Leingolds) love their tropical fruits. Oswald loves pineapple, Cain really likes his mangoes, Shea is addicted to durians and Thanos has a soft spot for guava. Apart from them, Leon likes meat and Gil likes vegetables. Zephyr claims to like broccoli in an interview.
- Tragic Villain: All villains are, to some extent.
- Year Inside, Hour Outside: Time in Fantasia passes a lot more slowly than in the real world. While it has been 250 years since Cheryl has come to Fantasia, her ex-crush's son only has 16 years.
- Visual Novel: Although Fantasia MoGF will actually be a Visual Novel/RPG hybrid.
- Also one of the few Ren'py visual novels to have a sequel, much less a trilogy.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: In Fantasia, it's completely normal to have humanly impossible hair colors. Such shades include: Blue, green, purple, white, red and pink.
- White and Grey Morality: The villains are never complety evil. Heck, even the main Love Interest in the first game starts out as one.
Fantasia: Realm of Thanos
- Accidental Kiss: On Oswald's path, Oswald and Cheryl's First Kiss is done this way, to her dismay.
- Back From the Dead: If you are on the canon path, Oswald.
- Big "Shut Up!": Cheryl does this in the "OMG!WTF?" ending.
- Blood From the Mouth: Oswald's defeated CG.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: If you're not on his path, at some point Oswald will control Leon or Gil to try to kill Cheryl. Of course, you can prevent that with the Power of Love.
- Crash Into Hello: Happens at the very beginning of the game, when The White Lady bumps into Cheryl in the middle of the street. Though that instance seems to be intentional.
- Another instance happens a little bit later in the game, when Cheryl runs face-fist into Leon. He is not pleased.
- Deus Ex Machina: The Blue Orb. Or is it?
- Death Is Cheap: In the canon ending, Oswald fades away after Cheryl manages to destroy the Realm, because it has a connection to him. One year later, He had an Unexplained Recovery.
- God Couple: Vestoria and Aldius before the game starts.
- Human Sacrifice: The curse on Ian's village in ROT requires one to be lifted.
- I Can't Believe I'm Saying This: Oswald when he consoles Cheryl at the end of the game.
- Jumped At the Call: Cheryl is eager to go to Fantasia once The White Lady tells her about it. She needs very little convincing.
- Lampshade Hanging: Oswald hangs a lot of lampshades in his route. Given the nature of these games (especially the first one), the sudden self-awareness is a bit out-of-place.
- Last Boy Wins: Oswald is the last potential love interest Cheryl meets, and also the one she eventually marries in the canon ending.
- Love Makes You Evil: In the Ultimate Dark Ending, Cheryl kills Vestoria and takes over the world together with Oswald.
- Love Potion: After your first playthrough, you're able to find a merchant in the middle of the street. Available for purchase, there is a pheromone perfume. If you choose to buy it, you will get a Harem Ending.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Again in the Ultimate Dark Ending, Cheryl kills Vestoria so that she is the only one who can have Oswald.
- Naive Newcomer: Cheryl is slightly lost when she first gets to Fantasia, what with the different races, taboos and inner workings of the world she's not aware of.
- Opening Monologue: You get one from Cheryl right at the beggining of the game.
- Opposites Attract: Oswald and Cheryl.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: Leon and Cheryl.
- Second Love: Cheryl is Oswald's, the first being his unrequited love for Vestoria.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: If Cheryl decides to go to the Starry Night Festival with Gil, he insists this to everyone he meets. Calmly.
- Summoning Ritual: Oswald trying to get his powers back.
- The Power of Love: A recurrent theme through the game. It's Cheryl's only weapon against Oswald.
- There Is Only One Bed: Invoked. Oswald jumps on his bed, breaks it, and insists that he sleeps Cheryl's.
- We Can Rule Together: Subverted. In the Ultimate Dark Ending, Cheryl accepts it and the two of them Take Over the World.
Fantasia: Requiem of the Abyss
- Anguished Declaration of Love: Valen to Cain on his path.
Valen: I LOVE YOU, DAMMIT!!!
- Aw, Look -- They Really Do Love Each Other: Cain and Valen spend most of their time insulting each other. Cue "awwww" when he says that he loves her (on his path at least).
- On a less romantic note, Oswald and Valen as well. Stern daddy admits he cares about daughter's safety.
- Big Fancy House: The Leingold manor.
- Bodyguard Crush: Arguably, Cain and Valen on his path.
- Boy Meets Girl: Valen and Cain. When they were young, Valen was Cain's only friend and he lost her after she completely forgot all their times together. Years later, they meet again and fall in love once more. Valen believes that feelings are more important than memories.
- Chekhov's Gun: The Blue Orb.
- Curse Is Foiled Again: Valen and the others are eventually able to keep Volg from A Sploding.
- Daddy's Girl: Cain constantly calls Valen this, as Oswald is quite... 'possessive' of her.
- Deal with the Devil: Valen can choose to do this with Shea in hopes of being able to live with Cain forever. It doesn't end too well, given that Shea is working for Thanos.
- Dramatic Wind: When Valen casts the Requiem of the Abyss spell in the Final Battle, her hair literally floats in the wind.
- Dead Person Impersonation: About halfway through the game, Thanos disguises himself as Vestoria after killing her, just to screw with Valen's head.
- Driven to Suicide: In Cain's Bad Ending II, Valen can't forgive herself after killing Cain with her own hands and throws herself into a pit of boiling lava.
- Duel to the Death: Cain vs Shea.
- Easily Forgiven: In the Canon ending, Thanos. Granted, if Valen and friends hadn't forgiven him, he would have caused The End of the World as We Know It, but still...
- Epiphanic Prison: Thanos seems to have locked himself into one. Oops.
- Fighting From the Inside: When Oswald and Thanos share a body, with Thanos in control, you know this happens.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Volg sacrifices his life in RotA to get rid of the hellraiser. Don't worry, He gets an Unexplained Recovery in the True Ending.
- Faye's Taking the Bullet as well.
- Human Sacrifice: Volg's curse requires one to be lifted. Who ends up being the sacrifice varies from path to path. It can be Volg himself, Shea or Volg and Cyrus' mother, Anna.
- If You Kill Him You Will Be Just Like Him: Valen discusses this trope once when talking to Shea.
Valen: If I kill you, won't I be just like Thanos?
- I'll Pretend I Didn't Hear That: Raven to Volg when he utters something stupid. Like always.
- Last Request: Shea's last request to Valen before he dies was for her to give him one last smile.
- Parents in Distress: Thanos tells Valen that Oswald and Cheryl are at his mercy. Have fun, little niece.
- Slap Slap Kiss: Cain and Valen's relationship is quite like this, culminating in a Big Damn Kiss when Valen finally realises she's in love with Cain.
- "Shut Up" Kiss: Cain and Valen's first kiss.
- She Is All Grown Up: Cain sees Valen again.
- Taking the Bullet: Faye in Cyrus' path.
- Tearful Smile: Valen's final smile to Shea before he dies.
- Thanatos Gambit: Thanos pulls this in most of RotA's good or best endings that are not Cain's. It even sounds like his name.
- Together in Death: Cain's Good Ending. Yes, the good ending. It Makes Sense in Context.
- True Companions: By the end of the game, the main cast has grown very attached to each other;
Fantasia: Memento of Grand Finale
- Arch Enemy: Nero and Albel, Forte and Shea.
- Arranged Marriage: Helberg loves finding fiancées for his son, Zephyr, but nobody can possibly make him do something he doesn't want to.
- Battle Couple: Lenarche and whichever guy whose path she is on.
- Battle Cry: Every party member has one when executing a co-op attack.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: When Alviss brings you into a battle tutorial.
- Can't Live with Them Can't Live Without Them: Zephyr and Lenarche.
- Cooldown Hug: One of the coloured sketches in the Creator's Deviantart Account shows Len doing this to Thanos.
- Duct Tape for Everything: An old Fanon gag that Furudo Erika had used a duct tape seal on Helberg Vanguardion's door, and thus nobody but he himself could have stolen the documents (though Canon has heavily hinted that Thanos was the culprit... And then an update screenshot by the creator reveals that it was not Thanos, but Helberg's son Zephyr who had stolen them). This is caused by the fact that the fandom has more Umineko no Naku Koro ni fans than you think.
- Embarrassing Nickname: "Zephy~"
- Faceless Masses: Zephyr's masses of fangirls.
- Fan Girl: Zephyr has tons of them. And he isn't happy with it.
- Festival Episode: Word of God has stated that the third game will have several festivals for interacting with the boys.
- Feuding Families: The Tribes and the de'Renquolds.
- Girl Posse: The fangirls are arguably this.
- Grand Finale: It was supposed to be this, but Word of God has stated this will not be the last Fantasia game.
- Implausible Deniability: Shea claims to just have felt admiration for Valen.
- Instant Fanclub: Marissa Gricelle's "little sisters".
- Kubrick Stare: Thanos' eyes are shown doing this on the main menu.
- Lonely Piano Piece: At some point in the game, a mysterious piano piece starts playing though the guild's quarters. When Lenarche questions Ignitio about it, he says this happens every night and that nobody knows who the piano player is.
- Love At First Sight: Lenarche sees Oswald in a dream and starts crushing on him. Too bad he's Happily Married.
- One Head Taller: Nero is almost 40 cm taller than his soon-to-be girlfriend, Feysa.
- Rival: Forte and Shea, Nero and Albel.
- School for Scheming: The Pacifist Alliance Organization will probably turn out to be so, if you take Thanos' suspicions into consideration.
- The Glorious War of Sisterly Rivalry: Marissa and Marine, with Marissa being the Beautiful Sister while Marine being the Smart Sister.
- The Piano Player: In MoGF, occasionally the Guild will hear an unknown person playing the piano on the upper floor, and even plays a song which only Lenarche knows from the past that she does not remember. The piano player's identity is not revealed in the demo, but everyone already believes him to be Zephyr.
- Twice Shy: Forte and Marine.
- You All Meet in An Inn: Lenarche's first meeting with Thanos was a secret rendezvous in a tavern.