|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
"We were separated. The beast must have devoured him. This was the only trace I found.
An enigmatic 10-page horror comic, reminiscent of Edgar Allan Poe. When a wolf begins terrorizing their village, two brothers venture out into the woods to find and kill it. Only one comes back. Claiming that the wolf got his brother, the survivor wins the admiration of the villagers (who had previously mocked him).
Then his brother comes back, although it may not really his brother, and he panics.
The author, Emily Carroll, has written other comics as well - some in the same horror vein, others with different moods. They're all well worth a read.
This work provides examples of
- The Ace: The older brother.
- Cain and Abel
- Chekhov's Gun: The torn coat.
- Comforting the Widow: Implied.
- Gainax Ending: What was he digging? Which one was his brother?
- Infinite Canvas
- Ironic Echo "Came from the woods." (most strange things do)
- Mind Screw
- Nameless Narrative
- The Resenter: The younger brother.
- Youngest Child Wins: The younger brother wants this to be the case.