|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
1960 French Thriller/Horror/Drama about a Mad Doctor who has his Complete Monster nurse Louise kidnap young women to cut their facial skin and transplant it on the face of his daughter, Christiane. Christiane's face is an open wound ever since a car accident caused by Daddy Dearest...
This film provides examples of:
- The Atoner: Dr. Génessier.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Subverted.
- Bittersweet Ending: Christiane is free from her father and Louise, but she's still disfigured and will be until she dies (the movie takes place way before transplants were possible).
- Driven to Suicide: Edna.
- Faceless Eye: Poor, poor Christiane...
- Failure Is the Only Option: Obviously, the face transplants.
- Faking the Dead: Génessier has a fake funeral for his daughter, so he can work on giving her a new face.
- Mad Doctor: Dr. Génessier.
- Serial Killer: Génessier and Louise work as a tag team to lure young women in and then surgically remove the skin off their faces in order to apply it to Christiane.
- White Mask of Doom: Christiane's mask, which hides her horrifyingly disfigured face.