|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Extinctioners is a comic book created, written and drawn by Shawntae Howard that features a superhero theme, but uses anthropomorphic animals as its main characters. With an ongoing run beginning in July 1998, the series has been published by Vision Comics, Shanda Fantasy Arts, and Angry Viking Press.
The comics follow hybrids, humanoid animals possessing special powers which augment some species characteristic. The humanoid animals on the planet Alden, or humanimals, were genetic constructs created for the purpose of avoiding having animals become extinct on an overpopulated Earth. During a global war, the humans discovered a new fresh planet though a wormhole that would be habitable for mankind. Thinking the idea risky, they sent a seeding of humanimals with human trainers to the planet to terraform it and build cities and set up social organizations. However, they lose contact with their humanimal constructs, leaving them alone on the planet.
- Animal Superheroes
- Ax Crazy: Vague (due to outside interference)
- Barefoot Cartoon Animals
- Biological Mashup
- Captain Ersatz and the Uncanny Expy-Men: it's not hard to figure out which eXtinctioners are X-Men Turned Furry.
- Complete Monster: Several villains are particularly vicious, but special genocidal mention needs to be made for the Big Bads of the first two story arcs, Noah Mahn and Xenif
- Differently-Powered Individual: The term for powered individuals is "hybrid"
- Earth All Along
- Furry Confusion: Averted in that, on Alden at least, only mammals are anthro while reptiles and birds fill the "non-intelligent animal" roles (with the notable exception of Phenix)
- Petting Zoo People
- Half-Human Hybrid
- Humans Are Bastards: The invaders in the first story arc; people wearing skull masks tend to not be very nice
- Last of His Kind: Umnus
- Mix-and-Match Critters
- Stealth Pun: The gorilla's name is "Warfare"