|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Extermination is a Survival Horror game developed by Sony very early during the Play Station 2 life cycle. Extermination takes place on December 24, 2005. It focuses on U.S. Marines Special Forces Recon Sgt. Dennis Riley, part of "Team Red Light". Riley's squad receives a distress call from Fort Stewart, a top secret American research facility in Antarctica. The distress call is a request for a prompt air strike on the base. In response, Team Red Light is sent in via C-17 to investigate the facility.
Tropes that appear in Extermination:
- Body Horror: Think Willaim Birkin had it bad? Your character's best friend goes through an utterly painful full-body mutation in seconds. And he's not the only one.
- Black Dude Dies First: Averted. By the end the black dude is the only other survivor, besides the hero and the love interest.
- Collection Sidequest: The dogtag collection which allows the player to start a New Game with extra items and increased difficulty.
- Everything Trying to Kill You: Even some of the water attacks the player.
- The Immune: A rare aversion of this trope in video games. You have to manage your infection level as well as your health, which means those damn squirting things that shoot goo at you are really your worst enemy, not the rampaging mutants.
- Improvised Zipline
- Infinite Flashlight
- Infinity+1 Sword: The Ultimate (Rocket) Launcher.
- Intrepid Reporter: Travis Miller, whom the player meets a few times in various locations.
- New Game+
- Night Vision Goggles: One of the attachments that can be put on the player's weapon.
- Nonstandard Game Over: Reach 100% infection without curing it fast and you're treated to your character going through a very horrific transformation.
- Shoot Out the Lock: Though this can be done only against padlocks.
- Survival Horror
- Swiss Army Weapon: The player's main weapon.
- Too Awesome to Use: The secondary weapons, as there is only a finite amount of ammo.
- The Bacterium: One of the main "antagonists" in the game.
- Tramua Bed: MTS Bed, which removes all infection and restores health to max.