|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
"The oldest legends of Undabed recount that one day a great and terrifying black wave washed over the world and nothing and no one could resist it. A tower rose up out of this enormous tidal wave. The survivors of the catastrophe stopped and observed the tower for a moment. And they knew that this tower would bring them nothing but misfortune and suffering. The Master of the tower sent out his creatures in their thousands... We have found a way into Loren Darith, the Master's tower. Should I fail my mission, someone will take my place..."—Lenny
Evil Twin: Cyprien's Chronicles is a videogame by In Utero published by Ubisoft in 2001. The hero of the story is Cyprien, a boy who grew up in an orphanage after both his parents died on his birthday. Not knowing this, his friends organise a birthday for him one day. Enraged, Cyprien goes to his bedroom, where his teddy bear Lenny attempts to console him. Cyprien responds that Lenny is only an Imaginary Friend, and condemns him and his world to oblivion. Lenny and Cyprien's friends then disappear and Cyprien is transported to Undabed, a once prosperous world that has been swallowed up by an enormous black wave leaving only a few islands, terrorised by the mysterious Master, whom now holds Lenny captive...
Guided by Wilbur, a talking elephant who travels around on a sling, Cyprien discovers that his make-believe alter ego SuperCyp is real in this world and the islands surviving the black wave are ruled by evil versions of his friends from the orphanage.
Originally conceived as a television series, Evil Twin: Cyprien's Chronicles combines a dark and surreal art style with traditional Platformer gameplay.
This game contains examples of the following tropes:
- Abnormal Ammo: Cyprien can put acorns, bubblegum, paper planes and forcefield generators in his slingshot.
- After the End: The game takes place long after Undabed has been completely covered by a black sea.
- Airborne Aircraft CITY
- Badass Normal: Cyprien, who takes on most enemies in the game armed with only a slingshot.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Lenny literally says this to Cyprien in the intro, after Cyprien condemns Lenny and his world to oblivion.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: On Vincent's Island.
- Big Eater: Joey's Evil Twin takes this trope to its extreme.
- Bilingual Bonus: See Punny Name.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: The Sea Sewers are controled by mind controlled Folk.
- Brats with Slingshots
- Deadpan Snarker: Cyprien. He even manages to be unfazed in the Master's presence.
"Aren't you getting bored of this idiotic monologue?"
- Evil Tower of Ominousness
- Evil Twin: Well, obviously. The islands are ruled by evil versions of Cyprien's buddies and Cyprien's Evil Twin turns out to be... the Master.
- Exposition Elephant: Wilbur.
- Fantastic Voyage Plot: There's this part where you have to get inside the Teacher's head...
- Floating Continent: Big Joe's Island.
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: It is implied that Lenny has long traveled through many worlds and that his teddy bear shape is not his natural form.
- Imaginary Friend: Lenny, but he might be more. (See A Form You Are Comfortable With)
- Giant Spider: Actually a very friendly one.
- Humongous Mecha: The Sea Sewers.
- Level Ate: Part of Big Joe's Island.
- Lonely Piano Piece: During the final battle against the Master.
- Macro Zone: The classroom on Steve's Island, but oddly enough, not the rest of the school.
- The Master: The main villain.
- Mr. Exposition: Wilbur.
- No Export for You: The game was never released outside of Europe.
- Parental Abandonment: Cyprien's parents both died on his birthday.
- Platform Game
- Playing with Fire: SuperCyp's fireball attack.
- Punny Name: In the original French, that is. The Demis are people split in half ("Demi" is French for half) and they call whole people Tooz. ("Tous" is French for all.)
- Save Points: And you have to bring a camera too, otherwise you won't be able to use them.
- Shock and Awe: SuperCyp's lightning attacks.
- Superhero: SuperCyp.
- What Could Have Been: As noted above, this story was originally conceived of as a television series.