|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Especially Zoidberg refers to when one character makes an absolute statement, to which another character replies, "Even X?" The inevitable response will be "Especially X."
Sometimes X can be an obvious exception, and sometimes X can be someone of great importance to the character who asks about them. In the second case, it is typically the villain who gloats, "Especially Fred/ Your Mom /Mr. Chuckles."
Compare and contrast My Friends and Zoidberg.
- Used in the dub of Sgt Frog:
Keroro, drunk on humidity, orders the destruction of all Pekoponians
Jamie: I didn't want anybody to be weird around me.
Saddam Hussein: Before I took over Kuwait in 1990, I meet American ambassador, I say, "You got a problem with this?" She say, "We have no opinion on your Arab-Arab conflicts".
Lew Agry: You don't like this town?
Big Ben Healy: Is there a lesson to be learned from all this? How about don't trust anyone?
- In the Clint Eastwood western High Plains Drifter, the Stranger forces the residents of Lago to literally paint the town red. The town's corrupt preacher objects to this.
Preacher: Even the church?
Baxter: You're not going to bring anybody to my apartment.
Annabelle Farrell: Nothing personal, Shane, but I don't date football players.
Thomas Wayne: All creatures feel fear.
Drillbit Taylor: You'd be surprised; anything can be turned into a weapon of mayhem or destruction.
Dr. Dakota Block: And if anyone comes to the door that isn't me, I want you to shoot them. Okay? I'm not kidding, Tony, you shoot them in the head.
Captain Miller: We all have orders, and we have to follow 'em. That supersedes everything, including your mothers.
De Georgio: Ah, that's one thing about our Harry, doesn't play any favorites! Harry hates everybody: Limeys, Micks, Hebes, Fat Dagos, Niggers, Honkies, Chinks, you name it.
Jim: If we go back my father will prosecute.
- From Andrew Barlow's "All I Really Need to Know I Learned by Having my Arms Ripped Off by a Polar Bear":
"Share everything. You might be thinking, Really? Even with polar bears? Yes, share especially with polar bears."
Live Action TV
- Community episode "Advanced Gay"
Abed whispers in Shirley's ear why Hawthorne Wipes brand moist towelettes are popular in the gay community.
- Due South episode "Bird in the Hand"
Fraser: Don't let anyone go in or out of that door.
- Frasier episode "The Impossible Dream"
Frasier: You refused to take me to see "West Side Story" on my eighth birthday.
- How I Met Your Mother episode "We're Not from Here"
Marshall: If I die under suspicious circumstances, beware. Trust no one, not even Ted. [pause] Especially Ted.
Carlos: You shouldn't exceed the recommended dose of any medication unless you first consult your physician.
- Yes Prime Minister episode "One Of Us
Geoffrey: We don't want any more irresponsible ill-informed press speculation.
- 30 Rock episode "Reunion"
Jack Donaghy: Well, I forgive you... [glances at her nametag] ...Jessica.
- Dawson's Creek episode "Castaways"
Joey: You were wanting to kiss me all night?
- Battlestar Galactica "Six of One"
Lee Adama: Besides, I never really could say no to anything.
- Get Smart episode "The Day Smart Turned Chicken"
Maxwell Smart: Now remember, doctor, I want you to wipe everything from your memory.
Lexie: Wanted by whom?
- Shakespeare Re-Told episode "The Taming of the Shrew"
Petruchio: Well, you're my wife. You agree with everything I say.
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode "The Passenger"
Quark: It's good to want things.
- Episode "The Wire"
Dr. Bashir: Out of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?
- Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Ensign Ro"
Ensign Ro Laren: I really don't know who to trust anymore.
Terri Coverley: Do they all hate it? The Times?
- Friends: Joey has found an engagement ring in Ross' bag and when Joey picks it up, Rachel thinks he's proposing and says yes. Phoebe knows about the ring and so, when Rachel brings up that she's engaged, she assumes Ross proposed. This leads to this conversation:
Phoebe: Everyone has been waiting for you two to get together.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the unaired pilot.
Buffy: Ah... film club.
- My Name Is Earl episode "Bullies":
Earl: I'm not going to defend you anymore. And while we're at it, I'm not gonna kiss your boo-boos any more either, that's getting a little awkward.
- Bottom episode "Apocalypse"
[Eddie is dressed up as the Grim Reaper]
Sam: Just because you're obsessed with all that Wild West-stuff...
- Castle and his daughter were watching a zombie movie at the start of the episode, but he gets called away on a plot hook. At the end of the episode, he's consoling her over her boy troubles.
Castle: When two people care about each other, really care about each other, anything is possible.
Sad Vampire: As a noble vampire, I only suck the blood of unattractive animals.
Susan: I HATE THIS STUPID SCHOOL AND EVERYONE IN IT!
Lackya: Master Gilgamesh! The baron demands you attend him - now!
Roxane: Even Lolcats?
- Least I Could Do: In Rayne's Alternate History novel where he kills Hitler and takes over the Third Reich, an assistant tells him that the Jews, Gypsies and mentally handicapped are asking for reparations. He tells the assistant to give each of them a tank.
Assistant: Including the mentally handicapped?
Helen: Don't tell anyone about this.
- Note that Artie only has three people he can talk to at this point: Mell, Dave, and Helen herself.
- Questionable Content briefly mentions J. Edward Runcible, an anti-European conspiracy theorist who tried to introduce legislation which would have "outlawed Europe as a continent, which special emphasis on the Swedes."
- This Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal strip.
"Even his trophy wife?"
Melvin: I have doomed you to exist in your own worst nightmare: a world where everyone's breasts are bigger than yours!
Croquet: Yeah... everyone involved with the production of the Egyptian God Cards was killed.
- From the "We'll Be There" - Rex & Weevil video;
Rex: Everybody in this music video is a giant slut.
Harry: "All the horcruxes are gone, I destroyed them all."
- Dragon Ball Abridged: After Goku arrives to battle the Saiyins, he notices everyone who's already died.
Goku: ...Tienshinhan, Piccolo, Yamcha. Oh wow, especially Yamcha.
- 101 Dalmatians: The Series
Rolly: This was a lot more fun than just sitting around watching TV... even the Gravy Channel!
- Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends episode "Land of the Flea"
Blooregard "Bloo" Q. Kazoo: Can't I even have just one?
- From the Spiral Zone episode "Small Packages":
General McFarland: The zone riders are your family.
God: Thou shalt taketh two of every creature!
- Sideshow Bob shows up at the Simpsons' door.
Bob: Madam, your children are no more...than a pair of ill-bred troublemakers.
- And again after Homer gains 61 pounds, gets on disability and has to hijack an ice cream truck to get to the nuclear plant and prevent a disaster.
Homer: "Hey buddy you gotta slow down your car and let me in because I'm a big fat guy and I can't go anywhere 'cause there could be some poison gas, I mean there's really gonna be some poison gas, and everybody's gonna be dead, especially me!!!"
- Futurama: A hilariously nonsensical and non-Zoidberg example, from "Less than Hero", as seen in the page quote.
- Bender also did it to himself:
Bender: Look, I love life and its pleasures as much as anyone here, except perhaps you, Hedonism Bot. But we need to be shut off! Especially you, Hedonism Bot.
- In one of the Bugs Bunny cartoons, Bugs finds that all the animals are running in terror from the Tasmanian Devil. He looks up "Tasmanian Devil" in an encyclopedia and finds a Long List of all the animals Devils like to eat. Bugs reads through the list, then says "What, no rabbits?" Taz tears off the page to reveal "And ESPECIALLY rabbits!"
- Earthworm Jim had an exchange between Bob the Goldfish and a Genie. "Destroy the universe!" "What, even the good parts?!" "(annoyed) Especially the good parts!"
- The Looney Tunes Show, "Besties". Daffy Duck is giving a speech on best friends, and the Goofy Gophers Mac and Tosh join in:
Mac: They support you over all others.
- From the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog episode "S'no Problem":
Robotnik: With this device, I'll be able to freeze every citizen on Mobius solid!
- Xiaolin Showdown, Season 2 Ep. 18.
Jack: But we can use ours, right? (The Wu)
We now apologize for making the word "especially" sound really weird.